Ten Most Overrated Sports Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
it wasn't a cobra, the cobra was the version that had trhe v8. v6 versions weren't "cobras".

the original mustang had a 289 v8, the cobras didn't....

SilverViper said:
Vipers are far from being overrated. I would say that for Pro-Japanese car enthusiasts, they are probably underrated.

quand tu vas m'avoir fait la ride que tu me dois depuis 5 ans, on s'en reparlera!
Pour l'instant je met TA viper on top of the list! :laugh:

j/k :D

Good thread, it changes from the Acura vs Volks crappy threads. Once again, were all the cars driven to make that list? I guess the story doesn't tell...

SilverViper said:
By the way, I guess that the NSX is 11th on the list!! :D

I guess you haven't been to the track much. After some coilovers the thing flies. And the engine will last forever.

Klys said:
especially not a GTR which was built expresedly to be a track Monster,

Just because their marketing says so does not make it the truth. BMW drives all their X5's at the 'ring but somehow that would not convince me that they are track worthy.

The GTR is too heavy for much track work. It is also too complicated. Good luck fixing that 4 wheel steering system. My guess is that it will be good for 10 good track days a year.

The first AWD Turbo Skyline was indeed built to be a track monster... It's the car that ended the reign of the Sierra Cosworth RS500 in Touring/GT racing, before the introduction of SuperTouring.

Subsquent models just piled on the features, because people demand more and more and more...

67Continental said:
the AC COBRA had the 289. The original car that the cobra was based on from AC did NOT. THat was the intent of my post.

Isn't that what MstrBlstr and I said? (look up the first post of page 3...) ;)

I would take any of these 10 cars ; they all have something in common, they're are hot cars, in different ways.

Overrated is always RELATIVE for me ; it doesn't mean it's not an excellent car.

The best example for me is the Skyline GT-R ; a) it's an amazing car b) however, yes I think it's overrated in the sense that a religion was almost created around it... the big MOFO icon. The big halo psychological phenomena where the car is elevated to a second-to-God status (or even above), venerated and the rest, where actually reality and facts are being simply left on the sides. To some, the competition doesn't exist and they simply stop informing themselves about the rest of the industry by hyper-focusing on only *ONE* platform.

It's all part of a "brainwashing" (ok, the word is too strong, I admit) scheme. How many times you will see on the top of car magazine "Seen on a Street Near You : 1000HP+ Skyline!!", in big red letters... Guess what, almost any car platform with a 6-cylinder could be upgraded to 1000hp if only the secondary part/tuning market was as developed as the Skyline, in this example. The platform itself is more than excellent because of the depth of the aftermarket. Some cars don't have the same chances. I wish I could upgrade a BMW M3 to 1000hp, however, the market is not developed at all... and between a 1000hp BMW M3 and a 1000hp Skyline GT-R, well as much as I would gladly take any of the two, the BMW M3 would be in my driveway in a heart beat... Conclusion : it's all relative.

i wouldn't say Skyline is overrated. it performs great and no one can deny that(talking about modded one of course :p)
but more like, OVERHYPED.

10 overrated cars... overrated in terms of what? price/performance? hype/performance?

someone talked about NSX
well,, i wouldn't say NSX is overrated. it's actually UNDERRATED to most of honda haters. it's quite impressive seeing a lil V6 being able to hang out with big boys. (nsx is a track car btw. not a dragger or straight liner)
but its true. its overPRICED.

Lambo overrated? no... lambos are more like an EXOTIC car to me. and it's fairly rated. everyone loves the look of it and the power it has. it's doing perfect job as an exotic car. getting attention.

940T said:
Why is the skyline overrated is it's just heavy ???

There is something wrong about this, cause the Skyline GTR R34 with tons of equipment(digital climate control, screen that display all engine parameter, A/C, 4 wheels steering, AWD, .... ) is still lighter than the Viper :thefinger

S14 Drift! said:
There is something wrong about this, cause the Skyline GTR R34 with tons of equipment(digital climate control, screen that display all engine parameter, A/C, 4 wheels steering, AWD, .... ) is still lighter than the Viper :thefinger

8.0 L V10's are not the lightest engines around.
I would say the Viper is overrated, too. It is impossible to drive it at the limit and all that power goes to waste. But if one buys the Viper for generating tire smoke then it is the best car in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back