Super HICAS leak...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fee

Legacy Member
Hi,
I found out that the lines that run under my car to lead the power steering fluid to the HICAS system are leaking... here are my options:

- Replace the line segment that is cracked. Cheap on parts but lots of labor.

- Bypass the HICAS system by simply using a hose to connect the IN and OUT that send to, and take back from, the power steering pump. The problem here is that the mechanic told me that if I did this, the rear wheels would be moving around.

- Replace the whole line; in which case, is anyone parting out with a HICAS 240SX?

What do you think? Any input is appreciated. In the meantime I keep topping off the fluid... my driveway looks disgusting!!

Thanks,
fee

fee said:
if you don't mind me asking, how so?

I don't remember exactly. I don't own a 240sx with super hicas but I read somewhere else if the super hicas has a malfonction your handling can be affected. It's like if the wheels were unbalanced while you drive. Your rear tire can decide to take X degres and you'll have a strange feeling while driving.

ziboy said:
I don't remember exactly. I don't own a 240sx with super hicas but I read somewhere else if the super hicas has a malfonction your handling can be affected. It's like if the wheels were unbalanced while you drive. Your rear tire can decide to take X degres and you'll have a strange feeling while driving.

But if the system is completely bypassed, would the wheels remain straight after an alignment or would the wheels move around freely?

fee said:
But if the system is completely bypassed, would the wheels remain straight after an alignment or would the wheels move around freely?

Rip it all out!!! Useless shit that fuken Hicas. Or get a Hicas Lock if you're too scared to remove it.

Fix it right or remove it right.

Remove it right = replace the whole subframe with a non-hicas one, remove the lines and change the pump for a non hicas one.

Klys said:
buy a hicas locking kit!!

and save weight

where can i find it? if i get the locking kit, then i could simply bypass the system, still using my original power steering pump, right?

I will be part of a group buy soon .. but it's for skylines... I don't know if the length of the rods is the same, but I'll let you know if I see you haven't bought one or fixed the problem.

i own a 93 hicas and i had a simular problem the part about wat the guy read about is right while driving the wheels will switch angles at light degrees but it makes a huge difference the car will feel very unstabble, and gives almost like a chocking feeling while u try to accel more, u normally dont notice this feelin unless ur going at speeds of around 60km +plus...

In the end do the right thing by not half assing your project...

like halo said FIX IT RIGHT or REMOVE it RIGHT... :bigup:

How about bypassing the HICAS system by using a hose to connect the IN and OUT to and from the HICAS from the pump, while using a lock bar to stabilize the rear wheels? I don't have the $$$ right now to also change the pump so I'm guessing this is a good alternative for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back