Anyone here is a pilot / owns a plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_mg

I was wondering if anyone here had a plane or flies one?

I know it's around 14k to get the liscence/certification and about how much a propeller plane costs but was wondering about stuff like maintenance/insurance...

Dexter's father owns a private jet. I don't know if he flies it himself or has a pilot, pm him about it he might be able to give you some info.

planes

My father owns two planes.
a cessna 180 , and a de havilland beaver.

A good condition 180 like my dads would be in the ballpark figure of around 185-190,000 , and the Beaver is around 500,000-600,000.

I'm going for my license soon , the best plane to start off with would be a supercub , or a cessna 172 , which would cost around 80-90,000 for a good one.

insurance would vary on whatever plane you are going to purchase, and maintence also varies. It's very expensive to maintain even the cheapest of planes.
for example to fly my dads beaver, per hour gas/insurance comes up to 500$ an hour , she burns 23 gallons of fuel an hour.

and to rebuild the engine which you have to do after every 1500 hours of flight time cost 50,000$

i know a flight instructor at mirabel who's also one of the top strippes at le deesses...lol.

commercial license is around 12k$ + 200hours of flying + what else??? (to be able to fly boeing 737s, airbus a340s, etc

acidburn5103 said:
commercial license is around 12k$ + 200hours of flying + what else??? (to be able to fly boeing 737s, airbus a340s, etc

I your dreams buddy.

You need a ton of other licenses first, plus type specific ratings. To get a commercial license can set you back over 100K easy.

Matt_mg said:
I was wondering if anyone here had a plane or flies one?

I know it's around 14k to get the liscence/certification and about how much a propeller plane costs but was wondering about stuff like maintenance/insurance...

I got my license in Hemisph-Air in Dorval (good school, the ONLY one in Dorval) it cost me 15K but ONLY because I slacked off, was doing it for fun and took a long time to do it.

You CAN get your private in 6-7k although some military cadets did it in 5K, but they already had glider experience.

My advice, do it in Dorval as it is more "professional" i.e. not a small dirt strip in the boonies. You will do evrything a 747 captain does to take off (well 90%).

Do it in as short time as possible (you will forget less and thus it'll cost you a lot less.) Do it in a single summer. In two months if you can. Every day if you can.

Get your radio license first to get that out of the way.

GET THE BOOKS and study theory BEFORE you start flying, thus when you get in a cokpit you already know what's going on.

Do all that, and you'll do it in 7K.

to get your private pilot lisence it's about 7K, commercial is around 12K and your twin IFR license is about 10K. In total it should cost around 40K to do your whole course.

200 hours wont get you anywhere close to flying job on a A340.

Its not the course thats expensive its the actual flying. Plane, fuel, insurance, maintenence, etc...If you plan on flying for leisure it wont cost you much until your ready to purchase a plane.
If you want to make a career out of flying, dont wait until your finished the course to buy a plane, you will end up renting for nothing.
Dont look at single engine A\C to build your hours, your wasting your time.

Dorval school is great but not worth the money...''learn what a 747 capt'n does'' is a bunch of crap. You wont learn anything different from other school except the fact you burn your money waiting for priority on the taxiway.

pilot

To be able to get in Air Canada, i think the minimum hours you need is 1500 hours + all the needed liscence.
If you have enough money, i suggest you buy an aircraft with 1 or 2 buddy's and re-sell it when you are finished. Aircraft if well maintained will not loose some value. To start taking lessons, i suggest you a cessna 150 which would be around 30-40k and maintenance is not too expensive if the plane is not due for any T.B.O's. If you have any questions on maintenance you can contact me by pm and i'll answer my best. *tu*

Talon_Pimp said:
to get your private pilot lisence it's about 7K, commercial is around 12K and your twin IFR license is about 10K. In total it should cost around 40K to do your whole course.

Yeah, but that's in a broshure. All the instructors I asked, it cost them closer to 100k to get ratings and a bit of seat time.

SweedSpeed said:
how much time does it take to get all the licenses? Are they difficult to get? Are there exams and bla bla?

It all depends how much you spend and how fast you can learn.

I did my private license in a few months, it's really easy until you start flying IFR (instrument rating)
The TC exams are easy if you know your stuff, which you should.

My dad has over 10 000 hours and flies 747 400 series. When he did it was 25000$, you need 200-300hours min to get commercial license.

RussianM3_dude said:
Yeah, but that's in a broshure. All the instructors I asked, it cost them closer to 100k to get ratings and a bit of seat time.

The guy IS doing it at the moment. He knows the costs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back