converting a celica fwd in awd

Status
Not open for further replies.

puma

Legacy Member
do you think it would be possible to use the mecanic of awd on a fwd? what would be the problems we would encounter?

no place to pass the differentiel and the driving shaft.

fuel tank at the wrong place

firewall will need to be cut.

what else?

il en avait un vrai alltrac avant :/

Pis si Jo dit que cest un méchant contrat, cest que cen est un dude... car poser un 3sgte dans une corolla lui fait meme pas cet effet là...

ouin...mon corolla je l`avais presque oublier....Dave ma envoyer un message pour savoir si je voulais lui racheter ....je m`ennui sti:( :(

It's not an impossible job, but it would be a helluva lot of work. The floorpan on the FWD celicas is competely different from the gt4 to allow for driveshaft, differential and (up front) transmission clearance. Even our short shifters had to be modified to fit the 4wd versions. Also the gas tank and spare tire are different so they'd have to be modified or replaced.

I've seen a guy chop and weld in a new floorpan on an Audi to allow room for 4WD. But man, it'd be easier to just try and find a GT4 or put up with wrong wheel drive for now ;)

hope this helps a little

well the thing is that i want a awd but i want a 94+. I just love those model too much.

i would be the only one in america to have one.

i would like to build one for rally so fitting the rear seats isn't a big deal ...

gas tank would be changed for a fuel cell. only concern is the firewall and the floor pan.

anyway, i was just thinking about it...

puma

I agree, the 205 is one hell of a nice car. I'm putting an engine from one in my car this month (if all goes well :)

There was actually an entire UK spec 205 on sale in toronto a few moths back. The seller had "smuggled" the car over so it was impossible to make road legal. I think it ended up getting choped in half and sold off for parts, pretty shitty.

Good luck anyway, I'd love to see a project like that get done.

in which car are you putting that? you were able to get all the parts? a real st205 engine?

i am just thinking about it, i guess i will be too much of a wimp to try it.

oh and i miss some funds too :)

Yup it's a real 205 engine, it's sitting in my garage right now ;) Toyota CT20b turbo, WTA intercooler, no stupid TVIS, 255hp it's a beautiful engine...

I got luckey because I found an engine with a full wiring harness and ECU. Right now I still need a MAP sensor, Radiator and fuel pump (got a walbro 255lph on order) and I'm good to go.

It's going into my 1990 Celica GT-S. It sucks that it'll be FWD but should be pretty fast anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

cheers

what??? why don't you buy a 94?

this engine is working with a MAP? It is not working with a MAF like the other two version?

where did you get the engine?

what tranny are you going to use.

please give some details

i just love that engine so much

Honsetly, I like the look of the 5th gen better. Plus I've already got money into the body of my car so I really don't want to start all over.

You're right, the 3rd gen engine uses only a MAP sensor, no MAF to deal with. I got the engine from japan motor here in Montreal. They didn't know what it was so they gave it to me for ALOT less than it is worth.

Right now I'm going to use the stock s53 tranny from my GTS. I know some guys running this set up in the states and it works as long as you don't abuse it. Once the summer comes I'll probably swap in an MR2T transmission (hopefully the one with an LSD). Ideally I'd like to wait and do it right the first time but the engine in my car now is about to die and I really need a vehicle so I'll just take it easy for the first few months.

Cheers

hmm ok, keep up updated and even better show it us.

do you attend any show during summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back