CA18DET Vs SR20DET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subzero

So whats the biggest between both ? are they comparable performance wise ? (I mean on the track, not the chart). Pros and cons for both would be appreciated.

THx

The biggest? As in displacement?? 2 liters vs 1.8 liters........

The CA has a higher rev capability, but the SR has a bit more torque (cause it's bigger). The SR has overheating problems on the track, but I don't think you should worry about that unless you really really push your car. I'd go witht he SR, but that's me. Oh and if you get a CA, you need to get a CA specific strut tower bar cause of the intake manifold. lol

sspikey said:
CA18 wins all yeah yeahits the best
SR sucks

:dunno: pourquoi tu aime pas ca buddy
moi par contre le ca18det je le trouve fou
jamais entendu le son ou quoi que ce soit
j'aimerais bien voir un vidéo par contre

ca18det sr20det un des 2 *tu*

200sxBoY said:
ca18 > sr20
si quelqu'un s'intéresse vraiment a savoir pourquoi je m'expliquerai

infact i am very interested , i always thought it was the other way around

Reference : http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic24254.htm

"Firstly let me say that the SR was never designed to technically supersede the CA in any way other that cost. As with natural evolution and development the SR became more powerful. How much of that power is directly attributed to the fact that it is a 2 litre rather than only 1800cc?
Many of the famed benefits of the SR20DET were in the CA18DET too. Piston oil squirters and crank stud girdle for starters.

Externally, The 2 engines look completely different, and they should. The first obvious difference is the SR’s shiny alloy block, Next you notice the different inlet manifolds. The list goes on. Don’t mistake that alloy bloke as being lightweight either – there is that much alloy in the thing to keep it strong that they weigh no less than the CA.

A lot of people refer to the CA as ‘the plastic motor’ – why I don’t know, when the SR has exactly the same item made from plastic right on top too. Obviously the CA looks a bit boxy and I guess plasticcy (?), but….

Lets take a quick look at the intake design of the 2 engines. The SR uses a 4 runner manifold and a 4 port head. Standard garden variety manifold design. The CA on the other hand starts with a 4 runner manifold and then splits into 8, entering the head as an 8 runner manifold. Every second runner is only flowing air under certain circumstances (high air flow). Much more sophisticated design, and much more expensive to produce. I think the theory of this manifold design was to regain some low-down torque missing as a result of the comparatively lumpy camshafts used in the engine.
Some feel that the combustion chamber design of the SR20 is also better than the CA, however I am yet to hear that report from anyone who has actually seen both types of engine in S13 RWD trim for a valid comparison.

There’s more to the head than that too. Looking above the valves, the first thing that grabs you with the SR is that is only has 4 cam lobes per cam, not 8. Doesn’t it have 8 valves per side? Yep, and to get around that Nissan decided to use a rocker arm arrangement to actuate paired valves simultaneously from the single lobe. Not a bad way to do it actually. Certainly cheap to make, but at the cost of increased valve train losses and noise. The CA on the other hand has true 8 lobe cams which act directly on the top of the valves. Minimal components. Maximum revs, and no noise.

The SR has also gone back to the classic timing chain idea, and dropped the tooth belt. My theory here is it has something to do with reduced maintenance costs and less damage when the belts fly from lack of maintenance.

Obviously, the SR is a bigger engine in capacity, it has a relatively long stroke and is ‘over-square’ in design, meaning that the stroke is longer than the width of the bore. Fortunately the stroke to rod length ratio is at such a point that the engine can still rev, but it suffers classically from excess stroke. Sure, they rev out, but not anywhere near as willingly as the little CA with it’s square design (stroke=bore).

Many hi-po USA engines are using oversized pistons from the 300ZX, bringing the stroke/bore relationship back a bit, and providing a cheap source for forged pistons and further increased capacity.
Sure they rev out OK, but not anywhere near the same as a CA. I'm talking stock engines here too, not comparing an SR with aftermarket cams on modified lobe centres, which wouldn’t be a fair comparison now would it!

In retaliation to the plastic tag for the CA, I would now like to refer to the SR as Nissan’s 4 cyl domestic truck engine. The TRUCK MOTOR !!!

So, in conclusion, there is no real winner in this debate - they are not predecessor and successor that is for sure. I guess the best thing about the SR is that it is almost still in production (although getting very old by other examples) and is well supported by the aftermarket industry. This makes it an excellent choice if you are going to be rebuilding the engine for a specific purpose or inflicting a lot of bolt-ons to it."

Last edited:
so ca18det powered s13 aren't a bed choice? i'm just asking outta curiosity as if i were to import a jap it would be an mk3 supra 2.5tt

Thx xormm, exacly what I was looking for. And for those that wanted to know its because I need to decide wether I wait till november to get a 91 silvia imported or import a 90 right away.

rpm makes hp , the ca18det is an engine that can rev easely
+ i would take an iron block over an alloy one with + 200cc anytime
the truth is that the sr can make power easely but the ca can make more for more money

Both are excellent motors,

Though the CA will rev faster and harder than an SR in stock form.

Either of the Silvia's you desire will be a kick ass ride with either the CA or SR.

Pick and spend wisely!!

Paulo

Quel pieces a tu de besion pour ton CA??:dunno: EMS mail en 3 ou 4 jours!~

Tu sais il en ont beaucoup au Japon! et des neuve tu peut les acheter aux dealer

en plus le CA ca brise pas souvant:bigup:

Paulo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back