How's the Spec-v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h22acivic

Hi,

I'm about to buy the Spec-V 2003 in yellow, its my first nissan, I was always a honda lover, but now I'm very close to signing for a spec-v.

I heard some disturbing things about it which is changing my mind.

1) The car apparently only puts like 145HP to the wheel, the car is not as fast as it should be.

2) The handling is bad, back twists like crazy. I'm planning to drop it when i get it, maybe like 2 - 3 inches...is that a good thing to do, will it help the cornering???

i would really appreciate your taughts on this car, overall...

Thanks guys:)

I drove the vspec and it is a great car but yes, it only puts down 150 to the wheels but its got torque hondas dont and it will still do 15.5 to 15.9 in the 1/4.. the car actually handles very good!!and you can give it at any time ( middle of a corner) and it is very stable, but it doesnt feel as tight as a honda. i ended up getting the sir .its not as fast out of the box but it feels solid. with a little suspension work the vspec would be even more fun then it is already. i dont think you can go wrong for the price.

I think the spec-v is quite a bargain at that price one of my friend has one and he his pretty happy he even wants to keep it stock. His old car was a modded civic so I guess you could be quite happy with a spec-v especially since the new sir doesnt seem to be really popular in the aftermarket scene now compared to its predessecors...

Ya, the Spec does put down only around 150whp, but the engine is a beast with bolt ons.

About the handling. It has as good handling as the Mp3, and everyone knows that is good.

The spec V's STOCK spring rates are 325lbs/375lbs Front/Rear.

I mean, can you say you've ever seen that on a STOCK car at that price level ?

The body is pretty stiff also, I have no idea what that twisting your talking about is. If you mean oversteer, then that is a GOOD thing. IT means its more neutral, less, NOOB friendly. Means it handles WELL.

Im serious about this, if you think it handles bad, then maybe you havent tried it enough (or at all) or you dont know what a good handling car is. Sorry.

Dropping doesnt do wonders for handling, everybody will argue, CENTER OF GRAVITY bullshit. ITs about dampening and spring rates, and body stiffness, also sway bars, etc...

So dropping 2 inches or 3 is not a good idea. ESPECIALLY on a sentra, because we dont have much wheel travel (read up on wheel travel).

1" is more than enough. And dont just use any springs. Most of them have much lower spring rates than the stock ones.

Well that depends on what your goals are.

Want a car that handles great, going to be doing some lapping/solo II...

Or you just wanna cruise around town with a nice looking car that handles good and is comfortable.

Its up to you :)

no racing, no lapping...just cruisin, i don't want the car to become uncomfortable either, but i do want to drop it a little to cover that big gap.....i read on the net about the Eibach pro kit or something like that????

There are 2 pro-kit models for the B15 Sentra.

The older one, is Useless, spring rates are even lower than the Sentra SE spring rates.

The newer one is an improvement, not great IMO, but better.

With stock dampers (since no aftermarket ones are available yet), Id go with PRogress Springs, or Intrax.

Spring rates are lower than stock, but still pretty good. IT will remain very comfortable and still handle well.

They are both similar in spring rates, but the Progress is much much cheaper, while still being of excellent quality.

If you want something a little stiffer, with adjustability, then for about 400$USD, you can get Ground Control Coilovers. This is just thearded sleeved coilover, but you can custom choose your spring rate. And they are of excellent quality.

Not to be compared with Weapon R, skunk, or other crappy coilovers.

thanks, really appreciated!!!

how about air filter systems? aem is way too expensive for me, but is it really worth it??? how about ractive or something? don't forget, its not for track purposes, and i'm not modding it all out, just drop and sound....but people are saying that bolt on mods make a big diff on this car???

Well look at it this way.

CAI
Exhaust
Header
REmove Balance Shaft
Cams

This should bring you in the 180whp range if Im not mistaken.

For air intakes, its up to you, the AEM is the best by far, but very expensive. I think the Hotshot is cheaper.

I wouldnt go for anything ractive, but then again, it all depends. I dont think they make one anyways. You can also make your own CAI, its up to you.

yup, sounds expensive......i think i'll just stick with lowering and maybe make my own cai.......except that todays cars have sensors and stuff, its a pain...

what this removing balance shaft???

sensors arent a problem. You have the MAF (which is in its own Piping, so you just need couplers to that piping), and the Air temp sensor, pretty useless if you ask me, but you can just make a little whole to fit it in, its not much of a problem.

About the balance shafts, they are there to prevent engine vibration supposedly. But once removed the engine doesnt vibrate much anyways. Many have removed them.

Where you get the power, is that your balance shafts turn at twice the speed of your crank. Meaning it can turn up to easily 10 000 rpm. Remove that, and its once less thing the engine has to turn.

Dyno proven for about 8 whp. You can do this yourself, ghetto style with the instructions, or you can buy the JWT balance shaft removal kit. Cleaner, all you need is in there and you get very good detailed instructions.

wow.....8hp extra, impressive......would any normal mechanic know how to do this???

btw...thanks, this is awesome info...

Not to go against my good pal "The thec Guy"Spicez but about the lowering springs....
Don't go Eibach pro-kit... My friend had those on his Spec and believe it or not, it ruined his rear shocks and that within 8 months....

PIE_3.14

I know exactly what you mean buddy, and thats why I specify to use the new Pro kits, the one designed for the Spec V. they are closer to what the progress spring rates are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back