Storing the car for the winter advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

telram

Legacy Member
Hi Everyone,
I will be storing my car this winter and I wanted to know what I should do before I actually put it away. I know I need to do an oil change and disconnect the battery. But what else do I need to do? Also, I was wondering if I need to raise the car up on jacks, the Acura people told me that I should do this, but oter people have been saying that there is no need to do this, what do I do? Please Help..

If you don't put it on jacks, put the highest pressure designed for your tire, to prevent a little leak flattening the tire, and all the little complications that implies...

The battery is going to drain out if you don't start the car once in a while, or if you don't put a 2 amp charger on it once in a while.

Pa

If you put it on jacks, make sure the suspension is not overextended, your suspension is going to be like a 60 year old's melon come spring time...

Pa

it's also a good idea to fill the gas tank up, so this way
moisture can't build up in the tank. yeah, it's better to
leave the car on the ground, if it's up in the air for a long
time, you'll burnout the seals in the shocks.

use fuel stablizer for that perfect start after the winter!

Put the car on jackstands on the suspension arms so the car if elevated but at it's normal height. Why you want to do this is so the tires do not get a flat spot on them. If they are on the same part of the tire all winter they get a bit square. The other way is just to roll the car around a few times a winter. Use gas stabilizer and fill the tank all the way up. A car cover is also a good idea to keep it from dust and any crap that might fall from the garage.

j'ai entendu parlé d'un chargeur de batterie que tu branches dans l'allume cigare qui s'assure que celle-ci garde son voltage. j'imagine que ca ne doit pas s'appeler un chargeur puisque sa fonction n'est pas de charger mais de conserver le voltage, mais je ne sais pas exactement. Quelqu'un sait de quoi je parle?
Parce que j'aimerais bien m'en procurer un...
Merci!

C'est un panneau solaire qui est à 1.75 ampère (en moyenne). Pas très utile si la voiture est entreposée dans un garage!!!

J'en ai acheté un la semaine passée, mais je crois que mon allume cigarette ne fonctionne pas!

Pa

il n'y a pas la meme chose mais qui se branche dans le 120V? parce que je suis dans un garage justement :p

Moi je vais enlever ma batterie et la charger à 2 amp de temps en temps...

Je connais pas ce genre de "chargeur qui va dans l'allume cigarette". Désolé

Pa

Bubble boy strikes again. I'd hate to think what else you store in ziplock bags. Ugggghhh.

I stongly advise NOT starting your car every week while it's stored. Think about it: one start after 3 months will be much much less harmfull on the motor then 1 start every week after it hasn't ran for a week.

All you need to do is disconnect the -ve terminal of the battery, fill it with gas and cover the car. I have done this for 2 years already and the car starts first shot every time in the spring. No baldspots either. It's more the older tires that had that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back