Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
diesel is not the same as it used to be before, the companies have made alot of progress whit it

Originally posted by Karim E36
For those of you who think Europe has nice diesel engines... sorry but I have a somewhat different opinion.

I thought the engines they had were more advanced, more modern so they would be better but this is totally off.

I am just back from Europe where I had the chance to drive a couple of diesel cars (Peugeot 307 HDI 90, Peugeot 307 HDI 110, Renault Megane, Seat Ibiza TDI, Ford Fiesta...). Let me tell you I was really really really disappointed. They are SO SO SO SO SO underpowered its ridiculous. And I didn't find any significant torque anywhere on the rpm range.
It's so sad to see these wonderful highways full of slow shitbox that can barely climb a slight hill.

OK, I didnt try the expensive huge twin turbo V8 and the like available at BMW, Mercedes-Benz,... but you are talking about 60000$+ cars. Any other BMW or MB would make them look stupid slow.

My point is "normal" modern diesel engines are shitty. Very expensive engines can be somewhat OK but will never reach the level of a good gas engine.

And lets not even get started on pollution...

What performance would you exactly ex[pect from a 307 with 90 hp or 110hp? U cannot expect it it to as fast as a 2.0 307...........it's normal............u find them underpowered because u're north-american and used to the mentality here.......when i'm saying "nice" diesel i'm not refering "wow , they have such great performance"....but they are technologically much more advanced than what people are used to here in terms of diesel........they are a lot more quiter and more refined, fuel economy is very good also........as for hwy's full of "shitboxes" welll, sorry to brake it to you but a 110hp 307 i am sure can hang with your powerfull 318 on the hwy all the way up to top speed.....and the ride is smoother , quiter, more stable than any of the japanese/american compact cars we have here (tercels, civic, cavaliers etc)........i'm not even gona get into interiors cuz it's a lost battle for NA compacts

so i think you should drive a stock tercel, a stock civic and a stock cavalier and then tell me which one was better(not in 0-60, overall) when comparing to a 307 HDi110

i disagree on the polution part also..........why......because Euro4 pollution standards(u probably heard about that over there) is very strict and all these cars have to comply........even if diesel fuel itself is in essence slightly more poluting than regular gasoline.......when the consumtion is half, the overall pollution amount is lower......

my 0.02 cents

Last edited:
i think alot of people here dont know about Bmw 330 d's, Alfa 2.4 jtd's and other great diesels that are offered around the globe

Originally posted by dave_fonz_164
i think alot of people here dont know about Bmw 330 d's, Alfa 2.4 jtd's and other great diesels that are offered around the globe

al companies make then........even the jap manufacturers have some diesles now devellopped to have somewhat of a chance on the euro market....

ya thats wat i was pointing out to,,,people still think diesel like the old jettas of the 80's when bmw offer a v8 powered diesel for their 7 series,,,if nething the american market is behind in many ways

The Phaeton V10 TDI has a top speed of 250 km/h (governed), the Touareg reaches 225 km/h. The saloon sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in a mere 6.9 seconds, while the large off-terrain vehicle completes the same distance in 7.8 seconds – impressively fast for this type of vehicle. In conjunction with an average fuel consumption of 11.4 litres (Phaeton) and 12.2 litres (Touareg) per 100 kilometres, these data represent an unrivalled combination of performance and economy.

touareg_v10_tdi.jpg

:bigup:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Lexus
What performance would you exactly ex[pect from a 307 with 90 hp or 110hp? U cannot expect it it to as fast as a 2.0 307...........it's normal............u find them underpowered because u're north-american and used to the mentality here.......when i'm saying "nice" diesel i'm not refering "wow , they have such great performance"....but they are technologically much more advanced than what people are used to here in terms of diesel........they are a lot more quiter and more refined, fuel economy is very good also........as for hwy's full of "shitboxes" welll, sorry to brake it to you but a 110hp 307 i am sure can hang with your powerfull 318 on the hwy all the way up to top speed.....and the ride is smoother , quiter, more stable than any of the japanese/american compact cars we have here (tercels, civic, cavaliers etc)........i'm not even gona get into interiors cuz it's a lost battle for NA compacts

so i think you should drive a stock tercel, a stock civic and a stock cavalier and then tell me which one was better(not in 0-60, overall) when comparing to a 307 HDi110

i disagree on the polution part also..........why......because Euro4 pollution standards(u probably heard about that over there) is very strict and all these cars have to comply........even if diesel fuel itself is in essence slightly more poluting than regular gasoline.......when the consumtion is half, the overall pollution amount is lower......

my 0.02 cents

I am sorry but your post makes me laugh :)

OK, so when you say a "nice" engine doesn' t have to be powerful... no problem, it's your opinion. I just think that a car that annoys you by its slowness when you drive it is not a nice car for me.

Secondly, I am sorry but I dont think you know what you are talking about when you say a 307 HDI 110 can keep up with my car. Sorry to disappoint you in your weird fantasies but I've been driving my car almost everyday for the past 5 years and I have been driving a 307 HDI 110 for 3000km across France and Italy lat week so I think I am in a better position to judge the situation. So again, I am sorry but even though my car was the cheapest, smallest BMW engine available in its time, and eventhough its almost 8 year old there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY the 307 can keep up. If you have any doubts, just look for numbers, I am sure you can find them on the web.

So please, think a little bit before posting next time.

As for pollution, its been proven 100 times that unless a particle filter is used, a diesel engine (yes! even the new ones) are horrible to the environment no matter what the cunsomption is.

Have a nice day :)

Originally posted by Karim E36

As for pollution, its been proven 100 times that unless a particle filter is used, a diesel engine (yes! even the new ones) are horrible to the environment no matter what the cunsomption is.

Not if you use bio-diesel fuel. ;) It's the high sulfer content in fosil diesel fuel that is the major pollutant. Bio-diesel, allbeit with a 10% decrease in power, contains NO sulfer and is MUCH better for the enviroment than gasoline.

when i think of diesel, i think glowplugs, fuel economie, loud, great smell, and big engines. for some reason alot of people think of VW when they hear diesel, i think of inline 8's and inline 10's. and i've noticed alot of people don't like the smell, call me weird if you will but i like the smell of diesel.

Originally posted by Twitch
That the problem here, we only get very plane diesel car her like the TDI, on 90hp. But when you start going in the 5 or 6 cylinder turbodiesel, it's something else on the highway. If you ever driven bigger diesels like a MB 300SD or an even bigger 350SD, you might know how these cars are like on the highway. These car cannot be driven under 100km, just to slow up to that speed, but after that, it's fast and smooth. At 180-200km, the engine rev only at 2000-2500rpm, not sweat for the engine so the noise that most of you guys complain is no longer there. With a gasoline engine at those speed, the engine rev are high.

In acceleration time like 0-60, forget not even worth bragging about, unless of course you have a V8 twin turbo diesel, but they compensate in the 60-120mph range because of all that torque.

I was driving behind MB 300SD today doing like 140, the diesel is fast even though I have a 5.6L V8. I have to push the pedal and rev the engine higher that the diesel to keep up.

So it's good news that Mercedes reintroduced the diesel back to North America.
Wish we had diesel BMW and Audi, more choice for us and easier on the wallet for diesel.

yeah, i took a diesel Mercedes up to 160 on the highway this weekend - the reason we don't get cooler diesel cars over here is because the sulphur content of our fuel is much much higher than in Europe.

Originally posted by chrissy
when i think of diesel, i think glowplugs, fuel economie, loud, great smell, and big engines. for some reason alot of people think of VW when they hear diesel, i think of inline 8's and inline 10's. and i've noticed alot of people don't like the smell, call me weird if you will but i like the smell of diesel.

diesel exhaust is my favourite smell in the world.

with gas prices these days, i'd defenitly trade in my car for a tdi..just makes more sense! I drove my friends 2000 jetta tdi and really have no complaints, good car and gets at least 1000 km's a tank...he did montreal - toronto there and back on one tank.

Tdi + larger intercooler + fuel pump tune + Barbecue gas...
Think about it...
Even in stock form...
Twice your torque at half your Rpm.
Using less than 40% as much fuel...

Originally posted by Twitch
I was just thinking about this today, what comes to mind when you guys hear diesel car? Just curious.

this

sample.jpg

Nothing against diesel, it's just what come to my mind.... you can say almost only good things about modern diesel engines... almost only good because I think they all(yes, even the 3l amg) sound like pre WWII tractors... :p

As for tunning... go to

http://www.dahlbackracing.se/

and you will be able to compare(tunning potential wise) diesel and regular engines...

example for the lazy:

VW golf 1.8T: 150hp ----> 420hp
VW golf 1.9TDI: 150hp ----> 185hp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back