Different swaps than SR20???

Status
Not open for further replies.
RB26DETT Skyline GTR engine! If you have big money$$$$$

Never been done in Canada ...been done a few time in USA (3 to 5 max)

RB25DET, VGDETT has been done by some japanese freaks but that would be a bitch to drop in ...

None of them are legal. If it isn't a dot approved engine, its not legal. Period. And you are screwed one step further, cause the letter of the law says you have to put an engine from your model year and newer in, which means that even if you could find some north american nissan engine that would fit.... the only one that is actually legal really is the 350z engine.... which nobody is doing.

Drop in, the sr20 and the ca18 are both the same mounts, rb 20, rb25det, dett, rb26det, dett, vg30e, vg30de, vg30et, vg30dett are all engines that have been spooned into various s chassis cars... but if say a good sr or ca swap costs you 6-9k, plan on an extra 4 grand for any of the other engines, and maybe more. RB's are expensive for a dett, and have to be swapped to single turbo setups, cause the twin turbo can't clear the steering rack. The VG has been donei n the states a few times in the s13, but isn't worth the weight most of the time, just an exclusivity thing. Honestly, you wanna be different, keep the engine you have, and build up a torque monster turbo for it...
the good: There are 30 of these engines running around now that are cheap so if you blow, wh00p, 500$ for a new engine... and this is the closest to a "legal" app that you will get

the bad: its not an sr... etc etc... I have done some math with the prices I get parts for and stuff that I have found, and I could probably get a killer 2.4 liter turbo setup going for around 8-12grand... so right around the SR neighborhood.... ok, a modded sr, but nonetheless... and you WOULD be the only guy around who went this way!....

Actually, the law mainly states you cannot change engine type.

Meaning, you cant go from I4 to V6 or V8, or from V6-8 to I4.
That is, from what I read, the most important and significant part of the law, concerning engine swaping.

You know what the best part of all this is? Is that most cops don't know jack shit about motors, so if you go and tell them that this is the motor that came stock with the car....they'll HAVE to beleive you...lol

The motor rb26dett is legal so do the sr20det the only resons why skylines and silvias are illegal in Canada is due to there failure at the frontal impact test, all cars in Canada have to hit a wall at 8km/h without any mechanical damage and why the skyline do not passed the test is because of the intercooler who always wreck due to the impact with the bumper. In USA this frontal impact test, speed is fix to 4km/h. For the silvias there illagal because they produce to much polluant emissions.

This summer, I am goig to putt my new engine in my 240, ................................. RB26DETT .............. I got a little bit money to spend ...........

RB26DETT is AWD so lots of work to do! I wouldn't do it.. for the potential of the SR and KA.. i think it's money wasted! Let's say it must cost around 25,000$ to do it!

Originally posted by mazda_racer
This summer, I am goig to putt my new engine in my 240, ................................. RB26DETT .............. I got a little bit money to spend ...........

A little bit. Ok. Well. lots of fab work to do really. And you might as well get like the rb26det instead. RWD and single turbo to start... and will cost you less to get it to where you want it to be, or even an rb25det. Remember, the rb26dett can already be as old as like 92 for the R32 skyline.... and good luck finding any parts in the country... period. SR there are lots now, and an american counterpart... if you have a guy in japan, or honk kong, or england or another place that has these engines stock in skylines, power power to you... if not, and you don't do your own custom fab work, don't do it, or do it, but bring in to me so you can pay me 10 grand in labour. Wiring is the least of your worries. And I hope you have the newer 240 (s14) cause that little bit of extra space will come in handy, but it depends on you...

Look he's like 17 years old..... Anyways, if you put it in and it work for more than 2 days... please PM me I want to race you for sure! :evil: But i'd bet my shirt we won't see him do the swap this year! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back