Car won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

int

Legacy Member
For about 3 years now, ever since my 1996 Honda Accord was left in the cold for 3 weeks while we went on vacation, whenever the car isn't started for a few days in the cold, when I try to start it after 3-4 days, it just won't start.

Usually, I can hook up my Motomaster car battery charger to it and it starts, no problems on the first try.

Today, I was in a rush and tried to start my car and it just wouldn't. I hooked up the Motomaster charger quick and tried a quick start, and it just wouldn't work. I checked the battery level of the charger and saw that it was low, so I figured that was why it wasn't working. I plugged the charger in to charge it for the 3 hours i'd be out, and found another way to get where I was going. I came back and tried it again -- SAME RESULT -- won't start.

The engine turns over and over, but it's not getting that last 'spark' to get going. I feel like the gas isn't getting through, so i'm thinking the fuel line might be frozen. I was reading up on this on the net, and apparently because of the grade of gas these days, this is very very uncommon? For 3 years now, i've thought my alternator was dying, and lately i've been thinking my spark plugs may need to be changed since it wasn't starting AS quick (took like 2 seconds instead of 1) -- but the spark plugs wouldn't prevent the car from starting altogether, all of a sudden? It would be gradual --- take longer and longer, no?

What would be my first step? What do you people suggest I try first? It's possible that the Charger just isn't working anymore (it's about 18 months old now and hasn't been charged every 6 months like they recommend), but apart from that / boosting the car with another, what should I try?

Went with the engine flooded idea - pulled out a spark plug (unscrewed it), but couldn't find anything to 'clamp' it/pull it out completely. I ended up giving up and putting the spark plug back after a few minutes, and tried starting the car anyways, and suprisingly after struggling for a few seconds, it started.

I'm pretty sure changing the spark plugs will fix it permanently -- just need to figure out how to pull them out once they're unscrewed. Tried looking for sci...valve16's DIY, but couldn't find it =/

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions!

all you need to pull it out is a spark plug socket. the one with the rubber insert on it. once unscrewed the rubber will hold it in the socket while you pull it out. or another trick, you can always use a telescopic magnet.

Got the same problem last week, this is what i checked:
1- fuel pump, disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail and see if there's fuel when you try to start the engine
2- Main fuel relay, in my civic it was on the passenger side behind the glove box.
3-Check if you have spark coming out of the spark plugs, best way to check, just pull off one wire and put a screw driver in the plug and let it sit on the valve cover and try to start, check if you have some sparks!
4-Maybe it's a timing problem, try to start it with the gas pedal pushed all the way back! Not more than 15 secondes a try, you don't want to fry you starter!
5-maybe it's the battery, charge it and try to start your car...then check how much volt it got? noe supposed to drop lower than 10 volt on one start! i've check it.

It's only advices, not the absolute truth! But on my car, i got 5 on 5! got to repair all this! i've double check everything and they were all ****ed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back