My engine 300whp D series turbo build...Summary of 2007 season :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickd_21

Updated a few posts down and pics added!

So i got my hands on a D16y8 with 116 000km on it. My plans are to build up the engine then swap it into my 96 civic hb cx this summer and turbo charge it as my daily summer car. I hope to reach 275whp (approx 300hp) on a reliable turbo setup...

So this is the plan:
--BOTTOM END--
Vitara pistons (overbore .04)
tt rods
KING bearings
metal head gasket
ARP headstuds

--turbo--
t3/t04 360 thrust
38mm external wastegate
HKS SSQS BOV
450cc injectors
tuned on CROME
etc....

The rest is still being figured out but that is the main parts...seeing as this is my very first engine build, turbo setup, and swap i hope that everything will work out and you'll probably be hearing from me again with many many questions...lol

Today i started deconstruction of the engine and so far no surprises!

As for pics...i'll post them up as soon as i get the time cause this time of year is pretty bussy and since we have all of this new snow, I gotta go have some fun both in the roads and snowboarding.........but i should have some by the end of this week!

Wish me luck!!:bigup:

Last edited:
nice, i see more and more 300whp+ build with vitara... nice and cheap... i saw a 400whp build on vitara and TT rod... why bother with b18c... you spent maybe 500$ more and have a beast... and if it fail... d16 are cheap. love D

JFK78 said:
Dyno'd again on a Mustang dyno:

wMTMwNTQ1NDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Setup info:

Stock bore D16Y8 w/ a T3/T04E 57trim .63A/R
Stock head, valvetrain, TB, Z6 intake manifold :p
Suzuki Vitara pistons
Eagle rods
Zex 59300 cam
ARP headstuds
255lph HP in-tank pump
RC750's
Uberdata
Motorola 2.5bar map sensor
Stock ignition and wires.
NGK 8's gapped at .28
3" DP and full exhaust, no cat.

Pulls were on 101 octane unleaded. My map sensor is maxed at 22-23psi, so I had to cheat the last column up.

I started with a baseline pull at 23 psi. 9* ignition timing @ peak VE, 11.5:1 AFR.
23psi = 366whp / 280tq.

Then I added ~ 15% fuel and pulled ignition timing back to 4* and started upping the boost.
26psi = 388whp / 299tq. AFR was 10.9:1 on this pull.

28psi = 406whp / 314tq. AFR was ~11.7:1 on this pull.

30psi = 416whp / 322tq. AFR was 11.9:1 on this pull. Still 4* ignition timing.

IAT's stayed at 100*, coolant temp stayed at 185*, plugs looked like new. =)

Had some boost fluctuation going on as you can see- the needle was dancing at about 30psi on the boost gauge. I feel it could've used some more timing still but had to call it quits for the day. The dyno operator said it would've been 430+whp on a dynojet!

Runs quite nicely- I've never smoked the tires shifting to 4th at 95mph before- awesome to say the least! :eek: Even with drag radials and an LSD!

Funny, I thought 23psi was sick, but 30psi is downright nasty!

Hopefully I can get to the track again soon and see what she traps at. Was at 126mph on 23psi, hoping for 130+mph now. ;)

There is no doubt, the SOHC guys are out in force this year!! Piston/rod budget builds are cracking 400whp left and right! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Does anyone think there's power to be gained by going w/a larger TB on the stock IM? The stocker is sooo small it seems like it'd be a restriction.

Modified by JFK78 at 12:37 AM 9/12/2006

Pour t'encourager encore plus, je fais le meme setup, mais pas de piston pour l'instant. juste turbo a X psi ( 14b ) pour aller chercher 200hp apres ca je m'achete piston vitara, rod tt et un autre turbo pour aller chercher le 300-350hp ( Projet a long terme, 2-3 ans )

Sinon ici yas un gars avec un setup hyper simple
stock z6 head
stock z6 intake manifold
y8 block with VITARA's and eagle rods, other wise stock
drag manifold
t3/t4 57 trim .60/.63 about 25psi
3" open downpipe

Y'as reussi a rentrer 11.3 @ 127mph (apres avoir ete sur le dyno, avec un trap speed de 127mph, ye surement a 440 hp ) sur le 1/4, dans un civic LX 4 portes avec toute l'interieur
405whpdynous1.jpg

Tout le monde sous estime les sohc

Last edited:
ben les sous-estime... bref tu vas toujours faire plus de power avec un B mais ce qui est hot des D c'est que ca coute pas cher en plus si ta déja un d16 dans le char...

piston vitara... 150~200$ avec les ring
rod TT = 280$
kit de bearing acl = 120$

avec 600$ ta un block top shape

avec un B un kit de piston et rod forger... c'est 1000$ pis c'est pas sans compter le 2000 a 3500$ qui faut que tu mettes au départ pour l'achat/instalation du moteur

thank everyone for the coments! All of these 350whp+ setups on vitaras and tt rods are getting me so pumped to put my built engine in! Right now i'm not able to find my cable to get my engine build pics from my camera to my computer but i'll keep looking....

les pistons de VITARA sont-ils presque bolt-on
et les rods TT c'est des rods forgé style EAGLE ???
Jai un vieux Z6 dans un état A-1 dans le garage..

les pistons de VITARA sont-ils presque bolt-on
et les rods TT c'est des rods forgé style EAGLE ???
Jai un vieux Z6 dans un état A-1 dans le garage..
Les pistons vitara sont quasi bolt-on a condition d'utiliser des rods aftermarket, mais si c'est pour un setup n/a oublie ca, les vitara donne une compression de 8.5:1 ca feras pas dekoi de bin bin performant.

Hey nice setup, only problem i see is ur injecters, i highly doubt ull touch 250whp with them, and if so ull be running them at full duty cycle which aint good. ur bottom end is basicaly what im doin this winter to lol, except im using an a6 block with my y8 head. and i dont know were ur goin to get it tuned but y8 head creates a timing issue not many people know about. i believe synoptic knows what im talking about, anyways check into it and pm me ur email well exchange tips im starting my build tuesday, ordered my a6 block,crank and girdle,stock size vitaras, and an act stage 3 clutch and pressure plate, all im missing is some bolts/rods/bearings and other do dads. anyways happy to hear about another winter D build , well be showing them k/h/b/f people lol.

Hey nice setup, only problem i see is ur injecters, i highly doubt ull touch 250whp with them, and if so ull be running them at full duty cycle which aint good.

ya lol i was just looking over that again and i think i'm going to revise those injectors...probably go for 550's or somethiong like that...and for tuning im gonna let richard at rd turbo productions take care of that lol:bigup:

i came across my old thread and realized that i left all of you guys hanging without pics lol...so let me update.

Well the engine has been completely disassembled for about 2 months now and i've been slowing recieving parts...here's what i have so far:

-Vitara std bore pistons
-KING engine bearings
-Eagle rods
-ARP head studs
-ARP 2000 rod bolts
-Walbro 255 fuel pump
-Hasting Rings
-New thrust washers
-Action 2MS 6 puck sprung clutch and pressure plate

so after everything was taken apart and i recieved my stuff i brought all of my shiat last week to Champion machining shops for some hardcore work. I had them :

-crack test my block and head
-resurface my block
-rehone the cylinders
-resurface my head
-3 angle valve job
-gap my rings
-micro polish the crankshaft
-flywheel resurfacing

i think thats it...and then to my dismay my engine build slapped me in the face again...lol...I knew all along that my crank had some minor pitting on one of the rod bearings so i had it micropolished and it turns out that some of the pitting didn't come out. So i've gone ahead and given my machine shop the OK to regrind the entire crank therefore i now need some oversize rod bearings...

more money...but i figured that i would be kicking myself in the ass if i didn't do it and I catch a rod bearing. So i went ahead with it

And when I went to Champion yesterday i got a look and the job they did on my head and block and it was so ****ing sexy:D So i'm really happy with the work that has been done so far!

Anyways my machinist told me that everything should be good for me to pick it up by friday this week or monday. I CAN"T WAIT!!! so as soon as i get my stuff back i'll snap some pics for you guys and post some before and after pictures...and don't worry... this time I actually will cause i came across my cable for my digicam yesterday lol

Seeing as this build has become a little more intense then i first imagined it would be, my new goal in terms of whp is 325-375...

Last edited:
Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok....I've got a shit load of pics for you guys...I'm gonna start with some "before" pictures of me taking apart the engine and I'll follow those up with my recent machined pics and new parts. Hope you guys enjoy:bigup:

ok so here is the stock Y8 before i tore into it:bigup:
IMG_6624.jpg

IMG_6625.jpg

Valvle cover off

IMG_6702.jpg

IMG_6703.jpg

Head off the block

IMG_6714.jpg

mmmmmm....carbon build up

IMG_6713.jpg

Block...piston exposed

IMG_6712.jpg

Girdle, oilpump etc...

IMG_6729.jpg

Crank

IMG_6742.jpg

Nice empty block

IMG_6755.jpg

pitted crank...not sure if you can see the pits lol

IMG_6754.jpg

stock clutch and pressure plate

IMG_6598.jpg

Stock flywheel

IMG_6602.jpg

So those are the before shots and then i brought it to the machinist...

cleaned up sexy valve cover

IMG_6844.jpg

micropolished then Regrinded then micropolished again crankshaft lol

IMG_6843.jpg

Empty block with girdle...all clean

IMG_6845.jpg

Honed cylinders:D

IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

stock cam

IMG_6865.jpg

new Vitara piston with gapped Hasting rings

IMG_6867.jpg

Resurfaced flywheel, Action 2ms clutch and pressure plate (6 puck sprung disk):bigup:

IMG_6871.jpg

Eagle rods with Walbro 255hp fuel pump and ARP head studs

IMG_6922.jpg

and for the hell of it, i thought i would post pics of my new forged H-beam Eagles compared to the stock rods lol

IMG_6926.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

IMG_6931.jpg

So now I'm just waiting on my gasket kit to come in before I put all of this back together...I'll keep you guys updated when i get further into this baby

thanks man....i should be ready to notch the block in about two weeks so i'll post those pics up when im done:bigup:

hawt shit bro! good luck with everything....and take me for a ride when your done! hahah...i'm not jkin lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back