Best African child sponsorship organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacey

www.handlerwheels.com
My girlfriend and I would like to sponsor a child in Africa. I know alot of the organizations are corrupt and wed like to know which is the best to deal with? Ive also heard about organizations which allow you to buy a cow or food in bulk (one shot) for a family. does anyone have anymore info?

Happy new years.

You dont sponsor ONE child. They make you think that but when you read carefully its just like others grants. Your money ant the money of others "sponsors" ise use to build a school for exemple. "your" child benefit of this and they send you photos of him but all others child benefits of the money too. It would be so unfaire to give at one child only.

So in my opinion its like others grants BUT a part of the money is used to send you news and photos and is not use for childrens. Bit it can be a good way to "push" you to give money

Question comme ça, pourquoi tu aides pas le monde d'ici avant d'aider des personnes que tu verras jamais de ta vie? Prend le pas mal, je comprend juste pas.

C'est plein d'organisme ici à Mtl pour aider le monde pauvre. Pas mal plus "safe" pour ton argent.

Question comme ça, pourquoi tu aides pas le monde d'ici avant d'aider des personnes que tu verras jamais de ta vie? Prend le pas mal, je comprend juste pas.

C'est plein d'organisme ici à Mtl pour aider le monde pauvre. Pas mal plus "safe" pour ton argent.

Parceque les personnes qui ont besoin de l'argent a Canada sont dans une situation 10000000000x meilleur que les personnes en afrique qui ont pas de choix sauf de vivre une vie qui dure 40 ans max. J'aimerais peut etre donner un chance a un petit en afrique que donner de l'argent a quelqun en Canada qui a (peut etre) creer son situation de pauvrete lui meme.

Je sais quily en a des personnes en Canada qui on eu des troubles dans leurs vie qui etait pas de leurs fautes, mais ici on a l'aide du gouvernement...en Afrique ils meurent...pas de choix.

Being broke in the best country in the world is better than being broke in the worst country. It's just my choice. I think they need it more.

Last edited:
Parceque les personnes qui ont besoin de l'argent a Canada sont dans une situation 10000000000x meilleur que les personnes en afrique qui ont pas de choix sauf de vivre une vie qui dure 40 ans max. J'aimerais peut etre donner un chance a un petit en afrique que donner de l'argent a quelqun en Canada qui a (peut etre) creer son situation de pauvrete lui meme.

Je sais quily en a des personnes en Canada qui on eu des troubles dans leurs vie qui etait pas de leurs fautes, mais ici on a l'aide du gouvernement...en Afrique ils meurent...pas de choix.

It's just my choice. I think they need it more.

x2!

World Vision is well established and reputable

Agreed. My family sponsors 2 children via World Vision (one in Cambodia, the other in Sri Lanka) and they send us frequent updates as to how they are doing/where the money is going. They also periodically send you little gifts that you can forward along to your sponsored children.

Respect for wanting to help out.

But, your time\money are better spent in other ways, take a couple of weeks off from work and travel to third world countries and help out building a school, or a water well, or things of the sort, its much more envolving and satisfying. Good ol' elbow grease is no match for $ donations.

My girlfriend and I would like to sponsor a child in Africa. I know alot of the organizations are corrupt and wed like to know which is the best to deal with? Ive also heard about organizations which allow you to buy a cow or food in bulk (one shot) for a family. does anyone have anymore info?

Happy new years.

Since few years now I'm ''sponsoring'' a child through World Vision.

My opinion is similar to Yours on this matter...but as someone said You can never be sure at 100% where the money goes....

IMO it's important to give and share, we are lucky to live in Canada, and those children they didn't choose where they will be born.....and we have to have a little faith that our money goes where it's supposed to go....

Currently it's 35$/month....
You can check here:
http://www.worldvision.ca/home/index.cfm

But, your time\money are better spent in other ways, take a couple of weeks off from work and travel to third world countries and help out building a school, or a water well, or things of the sort, its much more envolving and satisfying. Good ol' elbow grease is no match for $ donations.

I plan on doing this when im financially free. Till then i do not have the time or money to travel to Africa to donate myself. But this is what I'm looking forward to doing.

I plan on doing this when im financially free. Till then i do not have the time or money to travel to Africa to donate myself. But this is what I'm looking forward to doing.

I've only been able to help out once, i built a trolly for a boy who was born without legs in bangladesh (extreme poverty), all he'd have was two pieces of wood under his hands as to not to scratch them and a car matt tied around his waist. Seeing the boy cry out of joy for this simple object built out of basically wood and old bearings was literally priceless. No amount of donations can come close to that.

Vison mondial je crois pas a ca non plus

Mon oncle qui habite sur la rive-sud a recu la photo de l'enfant qui aidait pis quand il la montré a son ami qui habitais a magog Il avait exactement la meme photo mais avec des noms diferent pis une diference d age de 1 ans.Je sais pas si c'etais un erreur de fichier ou une giga crosse.

I've been with Compassion Canada for about a year now. They are based in London, Ont. I get letters frequently and they are very fourthright about where my money goes. It's about $35/mth and 85% goes to the child.
Good luck with your decision.

oprah winfrey just opened up a 142 person school in south africa to help under-priveldged kids. I think you could check out her website, i believe she's got other arfrican charities out there and she's not the type of filanthropist to keep any of the cash for herself or let anyone misappropriate funds.

Very true. My girlfriend just left this morning to the Philippines, where she's going to volunteer for GK (http://www.gawadkalinga.org). She doing a 2 week program, where they take volunteers from around the world to come help out and build the actual villages. They obviously take monetary donations, but they much prefer, and encourage people to go there and build for them.

I'm planning to do the same when I finish my bachelors in Phys Ed at McGill, as they also offer a "teaching" program, where I "donate" my time and educate the children myself. I'm excited to do it, and also for my girlfriend.

Their goal is "GK777", where they want to build 700,000 homes in 7000 villages in 7 years, which is enough to change the "third-world" status of the Philippines into a "First-World" country.

Obviously they are poor here, but as others as mentioned, there are many resources here , and some of them refuse to take it. A lot of them, they don't have to be in that situation, but their past decisions is what brought them there. In third world countries, all they've ever known is poverty.

Much respect for thinking of the world as a whole, and not just about your own city/country.

I'm not saying it's cheap, but it might not be as pricey as you think (although you've probably looked it up already). Through the organizations, they'll prepare everything for you in advance. But obviously it's just hard to get up and leave to another country and help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back