DIY: Drilling Stock Rotors... Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacci

I HAVE NO PLANS ON DRILLING MY STOCK ROTORS!!!!!!!!!!

Bonjour la gang,

Question stupid, mais j'messaye! :dunno:

Je demendais si yavais des lois contre modifier les rotors stock sur un char.... genre, driller les rotors pour avoir une meillure ventilation.

Merci. :bigup:

Sup dudes & dudettes,

This may seem like a dumb question, but im trying my luck. :dunno:

I was wondering if there were any legal complications if someone wants to modify the stock rotors on a car... say drilling them to for better ventilation?

Thanks! :bigup:

Bacci

Last edited:
jsais pas si cest legal, mais cest dangereux car tu casses la composition de ton disc et il se déformera

RICE ALERT

RICE ALERT

Rice alert..??.. oui, ben smat dude. Tu considere sa sur une question basse sur la curiosite. Excellent! .... :thefinger Ma question demande pas si je devrais le faire, mais si c legal....

Chu daccord que c pas mal RICER comme job, mais cetais plus de curiositer. Jai pas de civic, pis je magasine pas chez Canadian Tire pour le peices dauto.

jsais pas si cest legal, mais cest dangereux car tu casses la composition de ton disc et il se déformera

FYI - Je fias une conversion de drum a disc brakes sur ma 2002 celica... cetais juste quelque chose que j'me demendais. Jme suis dis la meme chose que toi mais ils sont plus epais que d'habitude... alors, jme disais p-e que cetais faisable.

Anyone know if its legal?

Last edited:
Bonjour la gang,

Question stupid, mais j'messaye! :dunno:

Je demendais si yavais des lois contre modifier les rotors stock sur un char.... genre, driller les rotors pour avoir une meillure ventilation.

Merci. :bigup:

Sup dudes & dudettes,

This may seem like a dumb question, but im trying my luck. :dunno:

I was wondering if there were any legal complications if someone wants to modify the stock rotors on a car... say drilling them to for better ventilation?

Thanks! :bigup:

Bacci

Not a dumb question....but I encourage you to read up a bit more about how disk brakes work. The whole reasone that brakes need better ventilation is mostly on the track where there is lot of heat building up. The only reason that someone should justify sloted rotors is if there are doing some serious braking on a weekly basis.

Also brake vibration is very very anoying, and unless you have a decent machine shop you will cause them to warp.

... The whole reasone that brakes need better ventilation is mostly on the track where there is lot of heat building up. The only reason that someone should justify sloted rotors is if there are doing some serious braking on a weekly basis...

Lapping project for TRAC, hopefully be done by next season. :D

1-cé une modification d'Attardé, cé moins cher pis moins de taponnage acheté dé disques drillés chez pieces écono/nordique/napa/ebay whatever

2-cé une idée d'atardé fallais jle dise 2 fois

3-un disc de brake cé heat treated... si ta pas 60$ pour 2 disc drillé cheap tu dois ps avoir une perceuse qui va venir a bout de ca
(meme pas sur que une perceuse a colone ek un meche au carbide perce ca)
pis advenant le cas ou ta la perceuse qui faut, pône la pis achete des disc drillé!

4- en drillant, a moins que tu soie un cnc humain, tu va pas driller ca égal pis tu va débalancer ton disc ca va vibrer en innocent

5-cé pas légal, cé marqué din reglement de la saaq, pas les gros reglements secrets la... cé clairement indiqué dans la brochure qui donnent au ti counes din expositions de char!

:lock: close topic avant que qqun sfasse mal ek sé niaiseries la :lock:

Quand tu vois un disque cross-drilled d'origine sur une Porsche par exemple, eh bien les disques ont été castés comme ca à la fabrication même, et la rigidité du disque a été calculée en fonction des trous.

Si tu cross-drill toi-même tes disques, tu va affecter leur rigidité structurelle , et tu ne pourra pas calculer à quel point exactement.

D'autant plus qu'au lieu d'améliorer leur résistance à la chaleur tu va les déteriorer, puisque quand tu les fera venir très chaud, ils auront tendance à développer des craques à partir des trous que tu aura fait.

Je te dis ca par expérience personnelle. Quand tu achètes des Brembo cross-drilled remplacement d'origine au speed shop, c'est des disques pleins que le speed-shop lui-même a envoyé au machine shop. Ce n'est pas mieux.

even those big baby doesnt need drilled rotor

p18.jpg

p4.jpg

they just got slotted disc

please don't be ghetto and drill your rotors! just get drilled ones! even though they suck, best is slotted!

Drill = less braking area = less braking then the same plain disc

Bigger and drilled = ok, just drilled will result in less friction and longer brake distance, it's just physics basic, you can argue all you want, you just can't change physics! ;)

As said earlier, drilling the rotors yourself IS illegal AND stupid!

Lapping project for TRAC, hopefully be done by next season. :D

You mean this season? or 2008?

If you plan on being ghetto and cutting corners I don't want to be driving next to you... If you are interested in proper brakes send Lee a PM, he sells his world famous Massive kits for a resonable price.

that is ghetto as hell...

seriously its not worth it. i wouldnt even want drilled rotors in the first place, even if they were the same price as blanks.

you can also easily throw off the balance of the rotor if you dont drill it right

You mean this season? or 2008?

If you plan on being ghetto and cutting corners I don't want to be driving next to you... If you are interested in proper brakes send Lee a PM, he sells his world famous Massive kits for a resonable price.

wow. dude - I really dont plan on drilling my rotors... just a question that popped into mind. If you read the post question, its asks if its legal.

During the conversion from my rear drum brakes, i was curiouse to know. I would never do it myself as i know it would brake down the compisition of the metal, therefore making it worse. I was just wondering if there were already legal laws preventing this.

Please, I dont drive a RICER and i invest good money in my cars to be safe and performant. Not to "cut corners" and indanger my life and the ones around.

Slotted better than drilled? Hmm... ill keep that one in mind.

Thanks for the advice and no thanks to those who just bash me for asking a rather simple question - " Is it Legal" and not " Should i do this to save money and look stupid"

its illegal look on the Saaq website and you will find all the info u need ,second of all drilled rotors are not that expensive ,third of all its a safety issues with homemade drilled rotors they will break and then have some fun stopping and it will wear out you pads alot faster then a stock disc or a real drilled disc

Just remember Keep it safe for yourself and others *tu*

Don't do it yourself!!!! If you want them drilled either get new ones already drilled. OR Get new ones and get it done by a professional. When you drill them they NEED to be NEW!!! Theres no way that by doing it yourself that you'll do a good job! that'll be safe.

Not a dumb question....but I encourage you to read up a bit more about how disk brakes work. The whole reasone that brakes need better ventilation is mostly on the track where there is lot of heat building up. The only reason that someone should justify sloted rotors is if there are doing some serious braking on a weekly basis.

Also brake vibration is very very anoying, and unless you have a decent machine shop you will cause them to warp.

it doesnt have anything to do about wether or not the car is driven on track.. a street driven car can develop a lot of brake heat from regular/sport use.

take my car for example... the rotors are too small for the car (they used accord brakes but the TL is heavier...) i went through multiple sets of plain rotors before... warped a set of KVR drilled rotors to death.. now i got rotora slotted rotors and they've been the best so far!

Si tu les drill, tes disc vont perdre leur dureté, donc oublie ça, y vont crochir, s'usé croche et ils brakeront pas.
Il faut les driller et ensuite les durçîr

Totalement illégale de le faire DIY Et surtout tres dangereux mais ceux manufacturer driller sont totalement légal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back