chech engine light ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_wei

Legacy Member
hey guys i need some help, i have a 96 maxima se and the check engine light went on, i dont feel like going to the dealer so if anybody knows how to fix it otherwise it would help, its probably the emission sensors but i dont want to go to the dealer

Check the ecu codes :)

to check it... remove the panel rigth right beside the gas pedal.

you'll see what looks like a hard drive type thing behind the panel, with one screw. The screw might be covered with plastic.

get a flat head screw driver and put the key in the egnition.
turn the key until your radio turns on and all your lights :D

k now take the flat head screw driver and turn that screw until it stops. I think it's clockwise.

then wait to seconds, and turn it back to it's original position.

now check the check engine light. it's going to flash.
long flashes followed by... short flashes
remember the different flashes and then go here:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html

ie: --- --- --- - - -

this would be code 03 03

my car has 2 codes... 03 03 and like 03 05...

your car will keep spitting out codes like that until it's done, then it loops again....

to erase your ecus codes, just do like above to get the codes, except do it 2 more times... waiting 2 seconds before repeating the process :D

good luck, hope it's not tooo bad :)

Originally posted by multiplexor
Check the ecu codes :)

to check it... remove the panel rigth right beside the gas pedal.

you'll see what looks like a hard drive type thing behind the panel, with one screw. The screw might be covered with plastic.

get a flat head screw driver and put the key in the egnition.
turn the key until your radio turns on and all your lights :D

k now take the flat head screw driver and turn that screw until it stops. I think it's clockwise.

then wait to seconds, and turn it back to it's original position.

now check the check engine light. it's going to flash.
long flashes followed by... short flashes
remember the different flashes and then go here:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html

ie: --- --- --- - - -

this would be code 03 03

my car has 2 codes... 03 03 and like 03 05...

your car will keep spitting out codes like that until it's done, then it loops again....

to erase your ecus codes, just do like above to get the codes, except do it 2 more times... waiting 2 seconds before repeating the process :D

good luck, hope it's not tooo bad :)

have fun ! :D

man if ur gonna get it checked out GO TO THE DEALER. I had the same problem and i went to a garage and my car was there for a week, they changed 8 things and still didnt fix it, i took it to the dealer and the fixed it fast. Pricewise (hourly) Ile Perrot is pretty cheap, good luck.

it's good to check the codes yourself first though...

like my car has a knock sensor code and a front o2 sensor...

no need to goto the dealer for that :) I just bought an o2 sensor and will be installling it myself... saves me the 54$ labour charge :)

plus I know for sure that once the o2 sensor is replaced, the knock sensor will also go away.... whichc saves me the cost of buying a knock sensor. :)

J'ai eu le même problème avec le mien, O2 sensor arrière et code de Knock Sensor. Quand j'ai changé le O2 sensor, le code de Knock n'est jamais revenu. Mais des fois je me demande si le code de knock est pas un ghost code... qui pourrait s'inscrire dans la mémoire sans faire allumer la Check Engine Light. I will take a look if i have a ghost code in the ECU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back