Quebec slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tu viendras faire ton tours dans la ville de québec pour le fun...... sa doit faire 10 ans que c'est pareil.....

oh yeah, quebec scession would bring lots of business, it'll be crazy. bs will be 3x as much, rent will decrease to 1/2, and the government will beg you to stay home and not work because they receive too much money in taxes, and can't hire enough people to count it

actually the rent part is true..hhaa

Serieusement si j avais l argent je crisserais mon camps de montreal pour aller en banlieu.Whats so nice about Montreal anyways.Downtown?Beurk I hate downtown.

Montreal a mis le Quebec sur la map. Expo 67', Olympique 76', le Grand-Prix, le Canadien de Montreal (et non le Canadien de la banlieu), etc...

Montreal est une belle ville, avec l'exode vers les banlieus, les Quebecois font la meme chose que les Americains...et je pensais que les Quebecois etaient different...

Having said that, you are right...compared to many other Cities accross North America, things are stagnating in Montreal. This is due to lack of private investment. Take a City like Cleveland (Ohio), smaller than Montreal, yet they have 3 professional Sports Teams, NBA, MLB, and NFL. The NFL Team was brought back by a private investor that spent $600Million dollars for the franchise and a brand new stadium for the Browns. Pittsburgh, after the meltdown of the Steel industry and massive job losses, have bounced back...

Montreal is a much nicer City than all of those, but it lacks investment.

On the other points of separatism, well I have to agree with many of you. Just take the example of the Metro Station, if you look at the plans from the 70's, you will notice a massive transit system. Today, well it's 3 new stations they are adding. Instead of adding them in Ville St-Laurent and the West Island, they are adding them in Laval because of Politics. Must satisfy the French before the English.

125000 people work in Ville St-Laurent, it is the Technical Park of choice on the Island. Yet, there is no public transit. Then you have all the business park in the West Island, Dorval, etc... The 13 is jammed every night because the majority of people work in the Western part of the City. Yet, no public transit.

But, 3 Metro Stations for $1Billion dollars was a great investment!!! Thank you PQ.

We don't need immigrants for a winning referendum since we're only getting 40,000 of them each year....and 5-7000 are leaving every year for another province.. lol
But, some of them, like french arabs likes the whole separation idea....and we're getting a lot of them now because they're french. The ones who are against are, obvioulsy the ones like you, who are anglophones and living in the west-island.

1) 61% of french quebecers voted yes in 1995.
2) 1 million of them didn't vote in 1995 because they were not 18. I was one of them. And i will vote yes for the next one. And it'Ms proven that the younger generation tends to be in favor of the separation.
3) We're 82% of the whole population of québec.
4) 50% + 1 = winning referendum.

Do the math. :D

p-s: i already did convinced a latino, an haitian and an arab to vote PQ for the next election. :D

Hahaha... This post was hilarious, thanks.

I'm giving you facts here
Yeah, hilarious.

Ahahaha, you seem to realize it yourself too? 64.3% of the time, facts are made up.

I don't really care about your separation or Quebec for that matter. This topic is as tiresome as the middle east topic - how many years is this separation in the making now? Kinda reminds me of Leafs last Stanley cup victory.

Excuse my ignorance, i just cant seem to take you as serious as some of the other well written MR posts here - even if they're for a pro Quebec movement. You just seem to be brainwashed by some Ginette & Luc.

Who do you think Quebec is going to trade with once we have separated from the rest of Canada, our two biggest trading partners would be included in NAFTA, and we would not be included in that trade agreement. Do you think they are going to let Quebec into NAFTA right off the bat? There are countries that have been trying to get into NAFTA for years.

What military is going to protect us (I can just see the line ups at recruitment offices now to join the newly formed Quebec military) lol. What currency are we going to use? Currency valuation is based on the economy of that country. With Quebec's "strong" forestry industry just booming right now along with our "soaring" high tech companies I’m sure our currency would be worth a lot. lol.

Also who is going to pay for the expensive health care, with no more funding coming from the federal government? No problem will just implement a two tired health care system. let’s see how many of the poorer people in Quebec like that idea.

You’re probably going to tell us that we can sell our Hydro power to the other countries (Canada & US) to help offset many of the costs and you're right about that. But that won't cover nearly 1/100th of what is would cost to run our own country. Taxes would have to increase dramatically to offset some of these costs, but it wouldn't be enough either.

Separation may sound like a good idea but once you get down to the nuts and bolts of what will happen after separation it just does make sense. Separatist are basically like teenagers that want to move out but still have their parents pay for everything.

Who do you think Quebec is going to trade with once we have separated from the rest of Canada, our two biggest trading partners would be included in NAFTA, and we would not be included in that trade agreement. Do you think they are going to let Quebec into NAFTA right off the bat? There are countries that have been trying to get into NAFTA for years.

What military is going to protect us (I can just see the line ups at recruitment offices now to join the newly formed Quebec military) lol. What currency are we going to use? Currency valuation is based on the economy of that country. With Quebec's "strong" forestry industry just booming right now along with our "soaring" high tech companies I’m sure our currency would be worth a lot. lol.

Also who is going to pay for the expensive health care, with no more funding coming from the federal government? No problem will just implement a two tired health care system. let’s see how many of the poorer people in Quebec like that idea.

You’re probably going to tell us that we can sell our Hydro power to the other countries (Canada & US) to help offset many of the costs and you're right about that. But that won't cover nearly 1/100th of what is would cost to run our own country. Taxes would have to increase dramatically to offset some of these costs, but it wouldn't be enough either.

Separation may sound like a good idea but once you get down to the nuts and bolts of what will happen after separation it just does make sense. Separatist are basically like teenagers that want to move out but still have their parents pay for everything.

don't forgot that we'll have to pay duties to buy stuff from canada... lol and we'll need a passport to go to Ontario

don't forgot that we'll have to pay duties to buy stuff from canada... lol and we'll need a passport to go to Ontario

Sure! It's a big deal that now we need a passport to go to US, but it's normal that if Quebec isn't Canadian anymore we'll have a passport. KEEP GOING TO SCHOOL PEOPLE!!! There is enough dumb people on earth, stop to make them become more and more.

Come on people! Try to return to the topic. Or try to say something smart at least.

It begin to be a dumb thread. Always the same stupid argument : we need military, we need to do money, we need to create more montain cause we'll lost British Colombia!!!!!

Go read little more. I always see those arguments... If we became a country, we'll surely keep a partnership with canada sharing something like arme, money, trademarket, etc...

If there os too much money problem with canada, we'll make them pay for using fleuve st-laurent and rise the electricity exportation, that's it. Why people are so chiken with change. I still feel lucky cause there is no dumb non-separatist who say (until now) that separatist are all terrorists.

Anyway, it's so offtopic. The beggining of the topic was interseting. Our city's development is slower than Canadian's city and Amirican's city.

I never realyze it, but it seem true. Look at montreal who try to bring people with some activity like gay pride olympic. It doesn't seem to work.

Maybe we should change the mayor. Maybe it will bring more people here. Can it be so simple? Why people isn't interest in Montreal anymore?

Maybe if the population was growing faster in montreal, maybe it would help. So for this time, I have to agree with VW. People who like to live out of montreal doesn't help at all.

It hard to say cause I like Montreal, but I wouldn't live here, not enough green stuff, too much pollution. But I think that you're right.

Ni le canada ni les USA peuve se permetrre de l'aisser le quebec se faire attaquer lol

So you mean once we're a country no one will do business with us? I guess that's because we're french right? :rolleyes: The U.S and Canada and the whole ****en planet are already doing business with us. Why would that change?

We have military base in Québec. You think all of the soldiers there are all pro federalist and pro queen Elizabeth? I know, i have many family members who are soldiers in Val-Cartier and in St-Jean. A lot of them are pro quebec. Remember, since we're 23% of the population in Canada, if we leave, we sure leave with our share of debt, but we also leave with 23% of the federal services.....which includes...the army and postal services!

Once a country, we could use Canadian currency...or american currency. And i bet you one thing, Canadian governement will probably beg us to use their currency instead of the american one. ;)

Do you know much taxes we're sending to Ottawa every year? A lot.
We wouldn't send a penny anymore. We would keep it all for ourselves. Sounds great isn't?

Independance is a great idea, maybe not for you because you might be affraid of living in a french country. I am not expecting you too understand anyway. :)

Ni le canada ni les USA peuve se permetrre de l'aisser le quebec se faire attaquer lol
Complètement con comme idée. C'est qui l'innocent qui va venir envahir le Québec sans armé en penser s'en tirer comme çca sur la place publique mondiale. Ce n'est même pas une question que les USA ou le Canada va nous défendre, ça a juste crissement pas rapport qu'unpays décide du jour au lendemaine àa venir envahir le Québec et que le reste du monde les regarde en se disant : "eh bin!" Sti, les US ont du mal à capturer Sadam Hussein sans faire des contreverses dans le monde, imaginez une place qui représente la paix comme le Québec.

Personne ne veut revenir au topic? C'était bien plus intéressant que le ramassi de connerie et d'insulte qui est en train de ressortir.

I'm not afraid of living in a french country at all. I'm more afraid of the economic implications that separation would have. You say people trade with us. People trade with Canada not with Quebec. They use Canadian trade agreements, there is no such thing as Quebec trade agreements. Duties and tariffs would send the cost of imported good trough the roof. You need to look at trade as an international thing not just a North American thing. We are stronger with Canada when it comes to trade agreements, as a whole we bring more to the table. With manufacturing jobs all going overseas we need to be able to have a larger bargaining chip when negotiating with these countries. If you look at Europe they formed a union to be stronger on an international economic level. They are doing much better as a whole than they were as independent countries.

I am not scared to live in a french "country" at all. I enjoy my level of comfort now and am doing very well for myself. I don't want any of this to be ruined because some people want to "try something new". Je suis parfaitement bilingue. I've lived here all my life and I don't see myself leaving this province. I just wish people would realize what would happen to the Provincial and National economies if separation would occur. I feel that we should just agree to disagree. As for our future I will just pray that people will look at the big picture and not just focus on our small part of the world.

I also want to apologize to the tread starter for being part of the hijacking of his thread. But I will admit with the exception of a few comments this has been one of the best separation conversations that has occurred on MR. I will also commend xxxplosif1 for his intelligent responses.

As for the feel of Montréal and how it looks. I enjoy touring downtown Montreal. I like the fact that we can walk from one end to the other and see many different historical buildings. I also feel that this city is cleaning up. There are many urban developers that are buying up old building and rebuilding them into condos or office space. Old Montreal is beautiful and very well maintained. I will agree that there are many parts of the city that need work but overall I feel that our city has the perfect balance of old and new.

I also want to apologize to the tread starter for being part of the hijacking of his thread. But I will admit with the exception of a few comments this has been one of the best separation conversations that has occurred on MR. I will also commend xxxplosif1 for his intelligent responses.

It's all good man. *tu*

Sure! It's a big deal that now we need a passport to go to US, but it's normal that if Quebec isn't Canadian anymore we'll have a passport. KEEP GOING TO SCHOOL PEOPLE!!! There is enough dumb people on earth, stop to make them become more and more.

Come on people! Try to return to the topic. Or try to say something smart at least.

It begin to be a dumb thread. Always the same stupid argument : we need military, we need to do money, we need to create more montain cause we'll lost British Colombia!!!!!

Go read little more. I always see those arguments... If we became a country, we'll surely keep a partnership with canada sharing something like arme, money, trademarket, etc...

If there os too much money problem with canada, we'll make them pay for using fleuve st-laurent and rise the electricity exportation, that's it. Why people are so chiken with change. I still feel lucky cause there is no dumb non-separatist who say (until now) that separatist are all terrorists.

Anyway, it's so offtopic. The beggining of the topic was interseting. Our city's development is slower than Canadian's city and Amirican's city.

I never realyze it, but it seem true. Look at montreal who try to bring people with some activity like gay pride olympic. It doesn't seem to work.

Maybe we should change the mayor. Maybe it will bring more people here. Can it be so simple? Why people isn't interest in Montreal anymore?

Maybe if the population was growing faster in montreal, maybe it would help. So for this time, I have to agree with VW. People who like to live out of montreal doesn't help at all.

It hard to say cause I like Montreal, but I wouldn't live here, not enough green stuff, too much pollution. But I think that you're right.

Actually, Montreal is one of the least polluted Cities in North America.

The Downtown core is dirty, the City does not invest enough on keeping it clean. When you walk downtown Chicago, you can't see one piece of paper. Here, paper & trash is flying all over the place. Secondly, they take forever to clean it up after winter. Ste-Catherines is an ugly street, once the Crown Jewel of Canada, it is now StripJoint alley. They should start thinking about removing the parking lots (bury them) and convert them to parks.

They should also start charging tolls on the bridges so they can generate revenue for the roads and the City.

Part of the problem is that the Provincial Government (regardless who is in power) has been neglecting Montreal for the past decade.

One thing I find hironic is that "Quebecers" seem concerned about the Environment and pollution. Yet, if they leave the City for the suburbs, it defeats the purpose. They blame the Government and Industry for all the pollution. If you drive 1-2hrs per day for your daily communte, you are generously helping the pollution cause.

I don't see the benefits to live in the suburbs, aside for cheaper housing and a bigger yard.

I don't see the benefits to live in the suburbs, aside for cheaper housing and a bigger yard.

Well, my parents are both from Montreal. They moved in the suburbs in the 70's. A lot of people in their generation left the city for the suburbs to get a bigger house and a bigger land like you've said. (Suburb's houses were 20-30,000$ back then!)

I was raised in the suburbs even though i've lived 7 years on the island. Montreal isn't for me. I'd rather have my own house and a yard....something you can't have in Montréal for 200,000-250.000$. At that price, you get a condo on the island and this isn't a option for a family imo.

And btw, the west-island isn't Montréal. Even if it's on the island it's just another suburbs like Laval or the South Shore (same distance to downtown)

They should also start charging tolls on the bridges so they can generate revenue for the roads and the City.

J'imagine que ça va effectivement aider. D'ailleurs le futur pont de la 25, c'est exactement ce qui se dit : payage. Payer un 8-10$ par jour pour se rendre à mtl, ça va en faire réfléchir plus qu'un.

Personnellement je suis un gars de banlieu, je préfère de loin ma qualité de vie que j'avais quand j'étais à st-jérôme, toujours en restant à proximité de Montréal. Mais j'en conviens que l'on ne peut pas tout avoir dans la vie.

Complètement con comme idée. C'est qui l'innocent qui va venir envahir le Québec sans armé en penser s'en tirer comme çca sur la place publique mondiale. Ce n'est même pas une question que les USA ou le Canada va nous défendre, ça a juste crissement pas rapport qu'unpays décide du jour au lendemaine àa venir envahir le Québec et que le reste du monde les regarde en se disant : "eh bin!" Sti, les US ont du mal à capturer Sadam Hussein sans faire des contreverses dans le monde, imaginez une place qui représente la paix comme le Québec.

Personne ne veut revenir au topic? C'était bien plus intéressant que le ramassi de connerie et d'insulte qui est en train de ressortir.

Cetais en reponse au gars qui avait peur que on aile plus d'armer lolll

Well, my parents are both from Montreal. They moved in the suburbs in the 70's. A lot of people in their generation left the city for the suburbs to get a bigger house and a bigger land like you've said. (Suburb's houses were 20-30,000$ back then!)

I was raised in the suburbs even though i've lived 7 years on the island. Montreal isn't for me. I'd rather have my own house and a yard....something you can't have in Montréal for 200,000-250.000$. At that price, you get a condo on the island and this isn't a option for a family imo.

And btw, the west-island isn't Montréal. Even if it's on the island it's just another suburbs like Laval or the South Shore (same distance to downtown)

Granted, $200-$250K doesn't buy you much in Montreal, maybe in the East end (which is not a nice place). Montreal (prior to the merger) was grossly mismanaged (as today), that is why the City Council pushed hard to get the merger through so they can benefit from the cash of the well managed buroughs (St-Laurent, TMR, Pointe-Claire, etc...). Now, that it is one City, West Islanders are paying just like everyone else for the City. However, people who live in Laval, St-Jerome, Blainville, the South Shore, etc... that come to the City every day for work do NOT contribute one dime to Montreal. Surburban'ites don't want to pay, complain about Montreal, but yet they are here every day using our streets and congesting them.

It's time the suburbs start to pay for something, and tolls on the bridges is a good start. You can live outside of the City, that's fine, but you have to contribute it when you come in. Same goes for Montrealers that exit the City, the tolls work both ways.

Electronic tolls exist where you can drive over 100kph and still register the charge. We are not talking about the old 0.50 cent tolls here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back