It's Alive! Oh No, It's Alive! (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

04snake

I had to fire up the SCT software for the first time in over a year and grab SCT base files for the Big Air 2400 MAF and the siemens 60lbers and figure out which end of the flasher I was supposed to use but somehow I loaded a tune for the new setup and the crossed my fingers.

Managed to find a milk carton to sit on, slide my foot by the still dangling wires for the radio delete gauges to press in the clutch. Dash gauges and bezel pods lit up, Stock boost gauge overlay to 16 lbs is all I will ever need with my whimpy setup, and it looks stock.

Not only did Lou at Laurel Mt. Mustang give me a good deal on the corner pod bezel, like he always does but he also painted the sucker to a PERFECT match. Thanks Lou! Unbelievable!
2007-0131_snake-dashpods-800.jpg

Yup, I had to cycle the FP 4 or 5 times, the tank was out of the car 3 times since it started last (but the gas gauge works again SOB!) and I don't have a pprv anymore but after stumbling a bit and one short stab to fill the rails the beast came alive and ran scary smooth.

Black smoke, yeah but it ran. New relayed wiring to the pumps, new black braided garden hose unkinked fuel super highway, 30 micron filter, PPRV trashed and upgraded submersible line, CPR rails with braided equalizer, modded FPDM, BAP on hyperdrive, 60lbers and a BA2400 all with the manners, at least from the first listen, of the stock parts they replaced.

No pipes on it right now, waiting on DSS driveshaft lengthening and the anti-roll setup to chop up that beautiful StainlessWorks 3" exhaust to convert from IRS to over the axle so it is not time to finish tuning it but I really needed hear it run for the first time in 6 mos and straight headers was 100% tool time and therapeutic to the soul.. urg urg :Woot:

Snapped a couple more pics, wiring is still on top until it is complete and then we will tuck it in with loam covering everything.

Here is where the window switch is for easy track access, no glove box for me, not interested in stealth or showcar neatness, I want utility.
2007-0131_snake-NXwindow-800.jpg

Needed a NOS arming WOT switch.
2007-0131_snake-WOTswitch-800.jpg

Here is how the Plenum jet installed, nice and neat, easy to change jets!
2007-0131_snake-jet-800.jpg

Here is the relay block for under the hood, everything added is relay triggered, once again a little overkill, but not required. The IC pump is now manually controlled with a dash switch thru a relay.
2007-0131_snake-relays-800.jpg

Here is mjchip’s upgraded FPDM and the solder splices.
2007-0131_snake-FPDM-800.jpg

These relays control the BAP and the bottle temp control system.
2007-0131_snake-BOXrelays-800.jpg

This is where I mounted the BAP, this is a bit older pic, the Hobbs and boost sensor wires have been snipped and jumpered.
2006-0807-cobra-BAP-800.jpg

Since power is drawn from the back to shorten wire runs, needed a fuse block!
2007-0131_snake-fuseblock-800.jpg

So much for wintertime fun, back to the salt mines...

a dry shot?? aren't you scared of punching a hole thru a piston??

BTW, nice job :)

Yeah with a screwed up tune you could do that, but I tune my car myself and datalog every pass I can ( NHRA sanctioned events I can't use a laptop) so problems in the tune are not an issue for me.

Your right though, you strap the juice on and go without the proper HP supporting mods that I have done and some Professional grade tuning, you may see the pistons come thru the hood! ;)

Yeah with a screwed up tune you could do that, but I tune my car myself and datalog every pass I can ( NHRA sanctioned events I can't use a laptop) so problems in the tune are not an issue for me.

Your right though, you strap the juice on and go without the proper HP supporting mods that I have done and some Professional grade tuning, you may see the pistons come thru the hood! ;)

I wasn't refering to the quality of the tune, but how are you going to add the extra fuel for the nitrous? Are you going to have a nitrous tune and a natural tune? or will you raise fuel pressure?

I just use a wet fogger and pull timing while on the juice via my Mallory ignition box. I got it tuned it on motor, then pull the right amount of timing only while on the juice. Combined with the right jet combination i havent had any problems spraying a 175 shot on my 350. I was curious about your setup since you'll be putting alot more power to the ground than me.

I wasn't refering to the quality of the tune, but how are you going to add the extra fuel for the nitrous? Are you going to have a nitrous tune and a natural tune? or will you raise fuel pressure?

I just use a wet fogger and pull timing while on the juice via my Mallory ignition box. I got it tuned it on motor, then pull the right amount of timing only while on the juice. Combined with the right jet combination i havent had any problems spraying a 175 shot on my 350. I was curious about your setup since you'll be putting alot more power to the ground than me.

I gotcha now, I will have a separate tune for spraying. This is a returnless system and I am letting the computer still completely control the pulse width (NO BAP after the FPDM) so somewhere within the window I will be spraying and that can change but for example between 3K and 6K I will command more fuel and maybe pull a degree or two of timing. I will make sure I am not spraying at my shift points to alleviate wild AFR changes that can cause the motor to stumble. The Ford computer uses the MAF nearly 100% of the time but since I am not spraying pre-maf, it won't get fooled into adding more fuel from the chilling effect from the NOS, so I have to force the tune to richen the mix. 60lbers and all the other fuel upgrades will make sure I can force enough fuel and the upgraded SCT MAF will be able to meter all the extra air used as a consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back