weird car problem.. engine goes cold after driving an hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iraqimoe

Legacy Member
i was driving for about an hour, heater was fine and all was good... then I notice its getting chilly in the car... my car temperature dropped to COLD.. and needless to say, cold air blasting for the heater.

coolant recently flushed, all fluids are good.. car has been well maintained...
i'm baffled, and so is my mechanic because everytime i bring it to him in the morning the car is fine! but after driving for a while, same issue!

anyone have any ideas?

thanks

95% chance that its your thermostat..when you just idle does it get warm again??if it does its definitely your thermostat

I got the same problem with my old car! I was on the 40 going to Terrebonne and all the heat stop! Beleive me, it was soooooo ccccoooolllldddddd outside so after 5 min, my foot were freazed! I went to the garage and they told me it was my thermostat.

si tu roulais pis que tu est tomber dans un embouteillage, c'est normal que ta temperature drop, surtout si ton blower etais a la puissance max, car tu fais entrer trop d'air et au lieu de rechauffer l'air pour aller dans la voiture ben c'est le contraire, l'air refroidi le tout, prochaine fois baisse ta fan de 1-2 cran et ca devrait avoir regler le probleme

en passant ca ce produit surtout a partir de -15

95% chance that its your thermostat..when you just idle does it get warm again??if it does its definitely your thermostat

yup! you hit the nail on the head! :)
today in the mornind, car is idling, everything is perfect.. nice hot air flowing in.
I start driving, 5 min later engine temperature gage goes from WARM to COLD and of course cold air start flowing from my heater!

What I don't understand, if its the thermostat, wouldnt it not work at all?? how come it only works when it's idling?
then again, im no mechanic :p

k your thermosthat is jammed open !!!

some thermosthat are fail safe it mean that if it was too hot it fully open and then clip to jam open

so it could be only the thermosthat or motor went to hot an fail safe engaged

Last edited:
I got the same problem with my old car! I was on the 40 going to Terrebonne and all the heat stop! Beleive me, it was soooooo ccccoooolllldddddd outside so after 5 min, my foot were freazed! I went to the garage and they told me it was my thermostat.

Not everyday someone mentions Terrebonne on a car problem post! And i can assure you its deosnt get any warmer here than in MTL. lol ;)

Ill 2nd that its your Thermostat.... seems like it stays stuck open and keeps feeding coolant to your engine, thus cooling it down WAY MORE than it should. Its happens if u have a shitty thermostat.

yup! you hit the nail on the head! :)
today in the mornind, car is idling, everything is perfect.. nice hot air flowing in.
I start driving, 5 min later engine temperature gage goes from WARM to COLD and of course cold air start flowing from my heater!

What I don't understand, if its the thermostat, wouldnt it not work at all?? how come it only works when it's idling?
then again, im no mechanic :p

it only heats up when your idling because theres no air flowing into your rad..so the coolant is able to heat up..but as soon as you start rolling the air hits your radiator which cold coolant is passing through because of the bad thermostat so it never lets it heat up

Not everyday someone mentions Terrebonne on a car problem post! And i can assure you its deosnt get any warmer here than in MTL. lol ;)

Ill 2nd that its your Thermostat.... seems like it stays stuck open and keeps feeding coolant to your engine, thus cooling it down WAY MORE than it should. Its happens if u have a shitty thermostat.

Lol that place was to far form my school and work lol (I was working in Brossard and going to school at Cegep du Vieux Montréal)!
Hopefuly, I'm back on the south shore.

Lol, but the Old Terrebonne is a great place to take a beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back