I could've died today....pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I check my nuts every day!
Ok, not on the car.

Switching between winters and summers is a good practice as it also prevents the lugs or bolts from rusting solid to the wheel.

I once changed my wheels at the track to street tires for rain and was about to tighten them with the torque wrench (they were pre-tightened with a cordless impact gun). The communication system for the flaggers went down so the one of the organizers asked me to drive him from corner to corner to distribute walkie-talkies. Around the Caroussel (corner 8) at Tremblant I started to feel it in the wheels that I goofed up. At corner 10 I quietly pulled off onto the grass and told the guy what was going on. I was lucky to have the torque wrench in the car with me. So I am torquing up the wheels and the guy gets asked on the radio: "What's the holdup?" He just says "Oh, it's nothing." Now I am a bit more obsessive about checking after changing wheels.

I have torque sticks an a cordless 28v gun but I never use them. My Snap-on torque wrench is used for that.

BTW each manufacturer specifies tightening torque for each of their cars. But the general rule of 80 ft/lbs for 4 and 100 for 5 will never break your car. If you want to be more anal you can look up the real number.

Also, be careful with spacers. Correct spacers will keep the hub centric configuration. The bolts are there to hold the wheel to the hub in the horizontal axis across the car. The thing sticking out of the hub and touching the inside of the rim is the one taking all the forces in the vertical axis and in the axis along the length of the car. Those forces are generally higher on a street car. The weight of the car + braking and accelerating.

Hi Andei.

Wheel torque is not related to the number of studs but to their diameter.

12mm studs/bolts will need 80-85ft.lbs - More is not better.
14mm (Porsche, Subaru and others) will need 100-105ft.lbs.

Those torque values are only meant to slightly start stretching the studs. More torque will stretch them too much and under stress they will snap...

/getting a torque wrench tomorrow.

where is the best place for a decent one?

If you want a good one you can order one from CDI Torque. They make the wrenchs for Snap On, they only difference is the head. It will last a life time. I have two of them which I use on a daily basis

http://www.cditorquecanada.com/

If you are only torquing wheels and using it a once in a blue moon then then i'd get a craftsman,mastercraft or husky. I've used my Husky for ages at the track and never had a problem with my car exploding from loose/over torqued wheels. I like the craftsman as well because its built by SK

Damn Kev..I was wondering what happened.. I've seen a teg before looking just like yours due to an upper ball joint failure.. didn't know your wheel came off...

Glad to see it's almost back together now with the steely on it. But serious if you had the car for 3+ years and never had that wheel off to inspect the brakes your really not playing things too safe to begin with bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back