Pics and a review of my RS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E92 M3 will be better car, for sure. No silly AWD and lighter.
If Benz cared to put in a real transmission into the C63 it would be a great car.

E92 M3 will be better car, for sure. No silly AWD and lighter.
If Benz cared to put in a real transmission into the C63 it would be a great car.

All early indications say that the paddle shifting 7G Tronic automatic is nothing short of brilliant. Much like the paddle shifters we've come to love, it will rev-match as well as throttle blip downshifts, hell apparently it'll even let you ring it off the 7300 RPM redline repeatedly (no forced shifting). I really don't understand why people shun sport cars that come without a clutch in this day and age.

All early indications say that the paddle shifting 7G Tronic automatic is nothing short of brilliant. Much like the paddle shifters we've come to love, it will rev-match as well as throttle blip downshifts, hell apparently it'll even let you ring it off the 7300 RPM redline repeatedly (no forced shifting). I really don't understand why people shun sport cars that come without a clutch in this day and age.

Doing your own shifting is part of the sports car driving experience. There is no trophy for driving a street legal car so the faster and more efficient shifting is not a requirement. The challenge of smooth shifting at speed is very rewarding by itself.

Well in my case I enjoy shifting gears myself; I get a kick out of hearing the little ''click'' noise the tranny makes when you upshift perfectly.

I know SMG-DSG and what not can shift faster than my left foot and right arm will ever be able to, but it will never be as fun as rowing through the gears of a shifter that offers good ''feel''.

Lap times are one thing, driving pleasure is another:D

Well... Audi is a love or hate affair. The people who are crazy about them would die for one. First of all, my congratulations for purchasing a car at that level. Now lets get more serious...

That color is awful dude what were you thinking? Daytona grey is IMO the ugliest color on any Audi car, it makes it feel like a dads car. The regular mirrors look like they were swapped directly from an a4, not even the brushed aluminum ones from the s4. No bucket recaro seats? That is lame. Owner of an previous e46 m3, you should know better that interior quality and finish is by far more superior to the M. The seats are arguable, I do admit that you had a great kiwi interior.

Driving thoughts... same here rs4 is a big disappointment, not worth its money at all. This car was designed purposely for one reason... speed. Its speed is not where it should be, for example slower than a 335 around a track, heck a 50k car faster than audis super car saloon? I will never understand that. 1/4 mile on average @ 13.0s @107 mph puts it very close to the e46, better but not much better. Driving sound is amazing, I don't know what you are talking about, your m3 sounded like a metal can grinding on the streets, pretty metallic if you ask me. Yes, quattro is a power sucking traction but you made a sacrifice for the snow up there in the Alps. Try driving your m3 as a daily driver, it would be possible but much more difficult. If I lived in a place with little amount of snow or no snow I would never consider an Audi.

Now wait a minute... If you dislike audis rs4 feeling what the hell are you considering a mercedes for. IMO they are the lamest and most boring cars you can drive. Don't get me wrong lots and I mean lots of power and torque but it is a LUXURY car by every means. If you disliked the rs4 stay away from the c63 amg, it is good to drive on the autobahn or to rip on a straightline airfield.

Now the next m3 is not great neither. Did you read the reviews. It is actually heavier than the euro rs4 which is 300 lbs lighter than the NA version and performance numbers are almost identical to the rs4. The look of the bangled version is uniform. No distinction from a regular 335 coupe. I would think twice if I were you before you make the jump. It might be another disappointment and apparently the new M feels like the Audi, very comfortable and luxury compared to the e46. You will not and I repeat you will not get the same "rawness and sensation like you did with the e46 m3". BMW are way more sophisticated now and are leaning towards luxury and comfort. Why? very simple. Higher price tags and how many young people do you see driving M cars?. They say the e30 m3 was the "best m3" because it was well balanced it had that pure rawness, handling and looks.

Options...

I know what you want and like

Get a porsche car, you can't go wrong its a race car period.

or if you want more refinement get a 335 convertible with a hard top. Add a procede chip and full cat-back exhaust and the new m3 might be looking for trouble while saving tons of money for a wiser and better placement. I think you will like turbo cars even though you never had one. It is more exciting than an NA luxury motor. I hope that helps in your next decision.

Last edited:
I don't know what is all the hype with the review. There is nothing new here, he probably got a lemon from the dealer given that it had 600km. As far as interiors go, Audi is better quality than BMW. I've owned both, and the Audi is a nicer place to be.

Secondly, why would you buy a sports saloon as a fun car. The RS-4, M3, M5, AMG Mercedez are all powerful, yes, but they are PIGS!!! Heavy luxo machines that depreciate greatly...what's even funnier is to see people bring these cars to the track...they make me laugh...

When it comes to cars, don't compromise. Buy a Porsche for an everyday sports car and a 30-40K saloon for your every day driving. I just don't get people that buy "sport saloons"...it doesn't make sense and you are wasting your $$$.

These reviews only reminds me of how little money I'm making.

regardless of how good or bad the car is.. I can't afford it.

Secondly, why would you buy a sports saloon as a fun car. The RS-4, M3, M5, AMG Mercedez are all powerful, yes, but they are PIGS!!! Heavy luxo machines that depreciate greatly...what's even funnier is to see people bring these cars to the track...they make me laugh...

Been driving E46 M3s hard for three years now. Calling them fat pigs and laughing is only reserved for the guys in Lotuses or Radicals. Most others needed to get their point-by hand ready. Not bone stock, of course. Stock it gets eaten by Porsches quite a bit.

Been driving E46 M3s hard for three years now. Calling them fat pigs and laughing is only reserved for the guys in Lotuses or Radicals. Most others needed to get their point-by hand ready. Not bone stock, of course. Stock it gets eaten by Porsches quite a bit.

I was referring to the upcoming M3...which will be available in 4-door and wagon. The 2-door M3 is different, still too heavy for my taste. I much prefer the underpowered but light E30.

I am not sure about the 7g tranny, my experience with those manualized torque converter boxes is, to use a light term, revolting. But the newest generation of automated manual gearboxes has come very far, I agree 101% with you, a good manual automated gearbox is heaven on the right car, and is a blast to drive extremely fast or extrenely slow and all there is in between. I'd hit a proper automatic gearbox in a heartbeat. There is an exception however, if the manual transmission is very good, and the car is very good, and you track that car a lot.. than a manual transmission is required. It's just more fun, more involving and more rewarding. I'd shoot myself in the left foot before I'd consider an automatic track toy elise...

Doing your own shifting is part of the sports car driving experience. There is no trophy for driving a street legal car so the faster and more efficient shifting is not a requirement. The challenge of smooth shifting at speed is very rewarding by itself.

I don't pat myself on the back when I row a manual gearbox daily. Not even when I do a proper blip throttle downshift overtaking that POS 1994 buick lesabre doing 90 on the left lane. If the car is a daily driver, and doesn't' see the track much, these auto trannies win. (for me at least).

Last edited:
I don't pat myself on the back when I row a manual gearbox daily. Not even when I do a proper blip throttle downshift overtaking that POS 1994 buick lesabre doing 90 on the left lane. If the car is a daily driver, and doesn't' see the track much, these auto trannies win. (for me at least).

It's already boring enough to drive on the street. Removing shifting from the process will make it more so.

Well... Audi is a love or hate affair. The people who are crazy about them would die for one. First of all, my congratulations for purchasing a car at that level. Now lets get more serious...

That color is awful dude what were you thinking? Daytona grey is IMO the ugliest color on any Audi car, it makes it feel like a dads car. The regular mirrors look like they were swapped directly from an a4, not even the brushed aluminum ones from the s4. No bucket recaro seats? That is lame. Owner of an previous e46 m3, you should know better that interior quality and finish is by far more superior to the M. The seats are arguable, I do admit that you had a great kiwi interior.

Driving thoughts... same here rs4 is a big disappointment, not worth its money at all. This car was designed purposely for one reason... speed. Its speed is not where it should be, for example slower than a 335 around a track, heck a 50k car faster than audis super car saloon? I will never understand that. 1/4 mile on average @ 13.0s @107 mph puts it very close to the e46, better but not much better. Driving sound is amazing, I don't know what you are talking about, your m3 sounded like a metal can grinding on the streets, pretty metallic if you ask me. Yes, quattro is a power sucking traction but you made a sacrifice for the snow up there in the Alps. Try driving your m3 as a daily driver, it would be possible but much more difficult. If I lived in a place with little amount of snow or no snow I would never consider an Audi.

Now wait a minute... If you dislike audis rs4 feeling what the hell are you considering a mercedes for. IMO they are the lamest and most boring cars you can drive. Don't get me wrong lots and I mean lots of power and torque but it is a LUXURY car by every means. If you disliked the rs4 stay away from the c63 amg, it is good to drive on the autobahn or to rip on a straightline airfield.

Now the next m3 is not great neither. Did you read the reviews. It is actually heavier than the euro rs4 which is 300 lbs lighter than the NA version and performance numbers are almost identical to the rs4. The look of the bangled version is uniform. No distinction from a regular 335 coupe. I would think twice if I were you before you make the jump. It might be another disappointment and apparently the new M feels like the Audi, very comfortable and luxury compared to the e46. You will not and I repeat you will not get the same "rawness and sensation like you did with the e46 m3". BMW are way more sophisticated now and are leaning towards luxury and comfort. Why? very simple. Higher price tags and how many young people do you see driving M cars?. They say the e30 m3 was the "best m3" because it was well balanced it had that pure rawness, handling and looks.

Options...

I know what you want and like

Get a porsche car, you can't go wrong its a race car period.

or if you want more refinement get a 335 convertible with a hard top. Add a procede chip and full cat-back exhaust and the new m3 might be looking for trouble while saving tons of money for a wiser and better placement. I think you will like turbo cars even though you never had one. It is more exciting than an NA luxury motor. I hope that helps in your next decision.

Just a little point, the new M3 is LIGHTER then the RS4. The confusion comes from different standards used. BMW gives weight WITH driver, fluids and 90% tank. The Audi is weighed even without oil, it's not driveable. There is still at least a 90kg if not more difference.
I agree, the new M3 SEEMS to have gone a little soft. However the early reviews for the C63 indicate that it is a monumental improvement in terms of handling and to be honest I really would like to have monster torque. I am tired to have to rev the RS4 beyond 5000rpm to get any decent performance.

I drove my RWD 130 all winter with ZERO problems. Wed don't get that much snow in the pre-alp. Might consider the new 135 Coupe, will be absolutely blistering.

Anyways, see you in September bro.

I don't know what is all the hype with the review. There is nothing new here, he probably got a lemon from the dealer given that it had 600km. As far as interiors go, Audi is better quality than BMW. I've owned both, and the Audi is a nicer place to be.

When it comes to cars, don't compromise. Buy a Porsche for an everyday sports car and a 30-40K saloon for your every day driving. I just don't get people that buy "sport saloons"...it doesn't make sense and you are wasting your $$$.

I agree with you 90%. The E46 was a pretty good compromise as is a 911 Porsche. I think that if the RS4 was 400-500 pounds lighter with a 50-50 weight distribution, it would have been one heck of a car. Weight matters, not the number of doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back