Top Gear mag - NISSAN GT-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifter Steve

Legacy Member
http://www.topgear.com/content/magflash/0108/

The GT-R hasn't just moved the goalposts, it's obliterated them

For all-round ability, I have no doubt the Nissan is the best car I have ever driven

The GTR turns in beautifully, whether neutral or under brakes, and grips forever - slippery surfaces seem to bring out the best in it. Time after time I left Turner (911 Turbo) behind as my four-wheel-drive system and traction control worked better out of wet corners - it wasn't just the fact that I could get on the power earlier. It was about confidence. The Nissan really is something special, and you get the impression that while a master driver could wring every last ounce of performance out of the 911, your mother could do the same in the GT-R..........................Does the Nissan's ability reduce the driving pleasure? Not at all. You can turn all the systems off if you so choose, and it's still supremely well balanced, no doubt a delight for a racing driver on a track.

gotta find out where i can get my hands on that mag!

This car is by far the best sub-supercar for the price, you have to put a shit load more money to get better performance in a super car.

Y'avait pas un article qui parlait des internes de ce moteur???Comme quoi c'etait pret a recevoir jusqua 1000hp??

Je me demande si la nouvelle GT-R deviendra, comme son prédecesseur, une icône du monde automobile.

Si Clarkson est resté avec une si bonne impression, je pense qu'il y ait de bonnes chances que ca se réalise.

The R32 GT-R started a whole new era in automotive technology with the Atessa system, the HICAS system and the RB26. It was so far ahead of anything else back in the late 80s. I even read something about it being banned from professional racing and they gave it it's own class because it was to dominant. Every GT-R after that just built on that. No doubt the new one will take it a huge step forward in every possible way, I just wished it came in a manual....

heres a couple quotes from the article, im trying to get the full thing, maybe tomorrow, ive got my fingers crossed

"A bellow from the engine, a rush of revs, a gigantic accelerative force on my neck, bang the GT-R into fourth. A killing gear if ever there was one."

"Were in R (mode) now, and weve hit 100mph in about 10 heartbeats. No official performance figure exists for that increment, but expect an 8 second 0-100ph time. Its fast, alrite - 60mph comes up in 3.5 seconds, the standing quarter in 11.7 seconds and it goes onto 197mph."

"The GT-R is all aggression on the outside. To my eye, it is a phenomal-looking machine, distinct from everything else. Very japanese and very hard."

"Driving these two cars back to back, its not long before you realise that the Nissan makes the Porsche seem old-fashioned. The GT-R is truly extraordinary."

"For all round ability, i have no doubt the Nissan is the best car i have ever driven. Its a solid car you can rely on when the going gets tricky."

For all monetary aspects of this comparison, a Ferrari retains most of its value over the long term if kept in good shape.

This Nissan won't. That's why you pay the premium for the Ferrari.

For all monetary aspects of this comparison, a Ferrari retains most of its value over the long term if kept in good shape.

who the hell buys a super car to sell it further down the road? If anything, if ever I get the chance to own a super car, the only way I'll separate myself from it is after I pushed it to hard on Laguna Seca and drove it into a cement wall.

are you insane?

you're going to tell me that a 69 GTO judge or a chevy belair or an oldschool stingray aren't worth 10X what they were originally purchased for?

you're right, a ferrari will keep it's value. but a price-to-value comparison from a nissan skyline GTR to a ferrari F40 say for example, isn't even compareable.

the nissan skyline R34 was what?... 40k when it was originally produced? an F40 was way over 100k? honestly i dont even know the prices of either, but the skyline is a legend in the racing world, ferrari is too.... but in completely different leagues, you never saw ferrari's up against supra's or skylines etc.. or vice versa. you seriously can't say a nissan skyline won't retain it's value in years to come. If someone seriously keeps a GTR wether it be 32/33/34+ it will definitely be an extremely expensive car if it's all stock/serials match etc.. extremely mint condition.

a 2008 shelby GT500 mustang is a million dollar car in 50years from now i guarantee it.

are you insane?

you're going to tell me that a 69 GTO judge or a chevy belair or an oldschool stingray aren't worth 10X what they were originally purchased for?

you're right, a ferrari will keep it's value. but a price-to-value comparison from a nissan skyline GTR to a ferrari F40 say for example, isn't even compareable.

the nissan skyline R34 was what?... 40k when it was originally produced? an F40 was way over 100k? honestly i dont even know the prices of either, but the skyline is a legend in the racing world, ferrari is too.... but in completely different leagues, you never saw ferrari's up against supra's or skylines etc.. or vice versa. you seriously can't say a nissan skyline won't retain it's value in years to come. If someone seriously keeps a GTR wether it be 32/33/34+ it will definitely be an extremely expensive car if it's all stock/serials match etc.. extremely mint condition.

a 2008 shelby GT500 mustang is a million dollar car in 50years from now i guarantee it.

In 50 years, there won't be petroleum for these cars to run on, so if anything, they'll be museum pieces or relics for the rich. (Ok, maybe 75 years).

The point is this... some people that buy Aston Martins, Ferraris, Rolls-Royces etc. can sell their car for a newer model many times over the years, and they would only be losing a fraction depending on the condition of the vehicle simply because the value is retained (they are babied, anyway).

You couldn't do this with a Nissan GT-R, sadly because it isn't appraised as highly as those other premier brands. Why? 'Cos it is a Nissan that any gearhead with 70gs can purchase (like a Viper, Shelby etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back