04 forester

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyRyder

hey i found a 04 forester xt, which is 2.5L turbo, look really nice and all, silver, premium package...sunroof/leather.... BUT its automatic, should i even consider it, i know there is manual tranny aroudn but would a manual conversion just cost too much? like a used tranny and what not? could be fun for winter, and do the manual tranny in summer?>

well, from what I know, basically nay tranny will fit on that engine. And that includes the wrx tranny, 2.5rs tranny, and so on. also, automatic is not the end of the world, you would see that u can still ahve fun with it. But the manual transmission wouldn't be overly expensive for the conversion. if you would liek you can call andre at jdmspecc4u and he will let u know the exact price,
his number is 4504200991, great guy, take care
bryan

From what I can read, a WRX tranny should be good for the job so long as you plan on keeping the stock turbo. A LOT of owners who have done minor turbo upgrades (as small as a VF39 from STi) are reporting tranny failures from the extra power. So basically...

Stock Turbo:
RS tranny (may not be compatible with FXT diffs/driveshaft/axles)
WRX tranny (should quench your thirst for manual, and be compatible with FXT diffs/driveshaft/axles.)

Upgraded Turbo:
STi 6-spd (Expensive, Requires R180 rear diff, STi driveshaft and axles = more $$$$)
PPG Gear-set for 5-spd (Not cheap either)

One thing to keep in mind about WRX trannies: they are strong and can last-long when driven properly, but they cannot take a beating. Not grinding/forcing gears, not jerking/stressing the gearbox, using Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, rev-matching, etc, are all ways to improve the lifespan of a WRX tranny.

If you beat it like a redheaded step-child, it will fail sooner or later. :p

I'm not 100% sure on all this info because I just did a quick search, but it's accurate and it should help you figure out which path you want to take, or at least give you an idea of info to search for.

Maybe our resident FXT-owner Five0 will chime in with some infos... :)

From what I can read, a WRX tranny should be good for the job so long as you plan on keeping the stock turbo. A LOT of owners who have done minor turbo upgrades (as small as a VF39 from STi) are reporting tranny failures from the extra power. So basically...

Stock Turbo:
RS tranny (may not be compatible with FXT diffs/driveshaft/axles)
WRX tranny (should quench your thirst for manual, and be compatible with FXT diffs/driveshaft/axles.)

Upgraded Turbo:
STi 6-spd (Expensive, Requires R180 rear diff, STi driveshaft and axles = more $$$$)
PPG Gear-set for 5-spd (Not cheap either)

One thing to keep in mind about WRX trannies: they are strong and can last-long when driven properly, but they cannot take a beating. Not grinding/forcing gears, not jerking/stressing the gearbox, using Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, rev-matching, etc, are all ways to improve the lifespan of a WRX tranny.

If you beat it like a redheaded step-child, it will fail sooner or later. :p

I'm not 100% sure on all this info because I just did a quick search, but it's accurate and it should help you figure out which path you want to take, or at least give you an idea of info to search for.

Maybe our resident FXT-owner Five0 will chime in with some infos... :)

some good info in there , just a question i got a 400 whp engine going in my subaru in the summer , and its for sure iam going to need some good tranny work , or something any ideas for the tranny or kits or...*tu*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back