pc problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGTUFFGUY

Someone went on my pc while i was gone. Didn't DL any attachements and probably only surfed facebook/email

when i rebootedthe pc it loaded up normally then when win Vista opened : MY Documents opened, but everything else is black.

i need to alt+ctrl+del to run explorer, to get the start button/desktop background to load up, then everything works fine.

any idea what could be wrong?

windows defender was turned off when i rebooted. I don't use it but its always on.
I'm scanning my pc now with trendmicro.
no viruses/malware/spyware detected

lots of rep available to anyone that helps

I dont think there is a permanent fix for this problem, but this solution will help in the mean time:

Start Task Manager (Ctrl, Alt, Del)
Select New Task (Run...) from the File pulldown menu
Type "Explorer" and hit enter

The problem is, when VISTA is loading it is not loading explorer.exe properly or at all (not sure)

click start
in the search field, type cmd to enter command prompt

let's say your user profile's My Documents folder is located in C:\Documents and Settings\Bigtuffguy\My Documents\

then in the command prompt, type:

cd C:\Documents and Settings\Bigtuffguy\My Documents\

once you're there, you should see something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Bigtuffguy\My Documents>_ waiting for another command

type dir *.*
look for any AVI files...
if you see any, delete it by typing del filename.avi then hit enter

try going to your documents folder again and see if it crashes

this is usually due to some avi file and you have bad codecs, it tries to give preview and crashes your explorer

gl

Read through that fast because it happened to my last computer so I figured i knew what you were going to say, my bad...

I returned the computer since it was fairly new.

good luck!

lol
i think i read the post fast also
so does it happen when you enter windows?
and you have windows setup to load my docs folder automatically also?

when my docs load, do u see it's contents?
sorry, my bad, i read the post too quickly

edit: either way, if it loads your docs folder (which i find weird), move any avi files in it to another sub folder and reboot
something it crashing explorer.exe and i have a feeling it's a file in your docs folder

thanks for the help

for some reason i cant install XP, i was able to install fresh copies on my older machines, this one didnt accep it.

i have no .avi's in my docs,
i also moved everything to a different folder and it still chose mydocs to open when windows loaded with the black screen.

for some reason i cant install XP, i was able to install fresh copies on my older machines, this one didnt accep it.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Did you take a look to your msconfig options?

Maybe the person was pissed off of defender or whatever program booting when windows is booting and modified your booting config to shut it up.

do:

start menu
run
msconfig

I dont know if its similar to xp but check if its booting into normal or custom mode.

If it boot in custom check which services and programs windows load at each boot. Maybe something was disabled and it shouldnt.

does the same thing happen on safe mode?
try creating a new user profile in users section under control panel (make sure that user has admin access)

see if it still affected

wow...

THATS REALLY BUT REALLY BAD IMO!

wtf come on microsoft... lol

i don't think it's ms' fault...some older codecs (specially the ones that comes in packs ie klite code pack) have bad ones in them...

reinstalling say the divx or xvid codecs with official release from their website usually fixes those issues..

i don't think it's ms' fault...some older codecs (specially the ones that comes in packs ie klite code pack) have bad ones in them...

reinstalling say the divx or xvid codecs with official release from their website usually fixes those issues..

Maybe but the system still shouldnt freeze for a ****ing damn preview lol. Preview are avaible in xp too but who use them? Its only usefull for photos.

msconfig is all the usual stuff.
and the person that was on the comp definitely wouldn't know how to do that.

also booting in safemode was fine. the background + start button loaded no problem.

thanks guys.

As for you not able to install windows XP, I suspect you need specific additional drivers for your hard drive contrôler in order for the installation to find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back