Bell confirms the rollout of traffic shaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskace

Bell will announce shortly that they are deploying at network-wide some traffic shaping technology. The rollout is planned for april 7th 2008 and will affect ALL customers of sympatico and all wholesalers using Bell Nexxia DSLAM.

This rollout will affect nearly 3 Millions users in Quebec and Ontario.

Some users already reported problems with VoIP technology relying on IP network technology.

Official news can be found on yro.slashdot.org and dslreports.com

Bell Canada Confirms Throttling - Tells wholesalers: too bad, so sad... - dslreports.com

it's been known already...We've caught Telus in the act a few times. They are supposed to supply a customer with x amount of bandwith for their data, we come in installing our VoiP system taking in consideration that bandwith, and judging it's enough. after the install we have some problems and the VoiP is not working properly, so we ask Telus for an Assessment, and what do we find out? the customer hasn't been getting all the bandwith he's been paying for. Meaning Telus was limiting them on bandwith so they can give more to other customers...and this customer would have never found out if wouldn't have wanted a voip phone system....

the only sad part is that a network assessment is really expensive, yet it's the only to really know if you're getting all the bandwith you're paying for...

I jsut wanna know when tehse asshole are going to stop capping the download speed to 25k during daytime for torrents

The fkcers are illegally throttling non Sympatico users as well, they're hitting everyone on the Bell servers and the owners of many of these companies are joining to fight this cause its bullshit. They're pissed that people aren't stupid enough to pay $50 a month for bandwidth caps, indian customer support, throttling and less speed than your paying for and when you call to get your 5mb instead of 1.3 they tell you well if you pay for our 7mb it'll be faster, fcking scam artists.

so glad I aint with bell....

Unless you've got cable (meaning Videotron/Electronic Box/Cogeco in Quebec?), you're affected by this news as well.

Every DSL provider is getting screwed by this, so if you're with ANY DSL company (like me, with TekSavvy), this is very bad news. I don't do torrents, but rumor has it the bandwidth/traffic shaping will affect various protocols (including FTP, NNTP/newsgroups, etc).

ok, i'm just about to a contract with bell. I was waiting till tomorow to decide.

But it seems like videotron isn't that cheap for say 50-60$ per month and they have small limits depending on which package.

Now I have a @sympatico e-mail address. I think i'll be screwed if I change companies now right?

This affects more than just P2P activity. I've seen it affect VOIP software as well (on a different DSL provider). They're not throttling based on ports or types of packets. The minute they detect a huge inbound/outbound quantity of packets, the entire connection is throttled down (the packets will get there, they're just queued to the bottom).

I'm of the mindset that yes, providers can do what they want with their networks (customers can always go somewhere else, right?), however if you're going to enforce limitations, please do it right so it only affects those abusing the network, and not legitimate uses/users

A workaround, kind of, is to try and find out the port that your ISP runs its VOIP service off of. Very likely, they're not going to packet shape anything going via that port (they can limit the bandwidth going through it, but not very likely)

Last edited:
Happy customer with videotron since 1995 (when they entered in the internet market).

It was, and still is a wonderful product, after 13 years.

Telus and Bell both do traffic shaping then again i am sure Videotron does too but they don't have a slow ass DSL network to start with lol .

Good my internet will get faster. about time. :) Sorry guys but to those that don't hog the network it's not fair.

Good my internet will get faster. about time. :) Sorry guys but to those that don't hog the network it's not fair.

This is false ! They filter between customer premises and ISP facilities.
+ they filter between the Core Router and the Internet.

Filtering between customer and facilities of third party providers has nothing to do with bandwidth saving with transit providers for ISP.

This is simply a way to rules Internet usage in Canada. Since Bell is a monopoly they will dictate the use of the content you want. We don't want this !

This will also affect ip phone services and create a SHITLOAD of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back