Can a boeing hover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignition101

Legacy Member
Ok before today, I never taught it was possible. I was coming back from school and I saw a still plane in the airs...... literrally not moving with the wheels deployed. I know I'm not crazy, I was with a friend and he saw it too. How is that possible??????? He said it's the second time he see's that. Can somebody explain????????:run:

i don't think it was hovering... it was just the angle of approach relative to your point of view. And the only way a plane can hover is if it the wind speed passing over it is enough to generate lift, but in case of a passenger aircraft it would means wind speeds of over 250km/h, which would mean a tornado.

unless it was a harrier, no.

harrier-landing-on-ship.jpg

Yes, a Boeing can hover... These can:

Boeing Vertol CH-113
v3_c7_s05_ss02_07.jpg

Boeing Vertol CH-47
intro219.jpg

Boeing Vertol 347
boevert-347.jpg

Boeing JSF Prototype
DVD-46-1.jpg

But a Boeing airliner cannot hover. Don't ask your drug dealer for a refund, give his name on here so we can all enjoy his wonderful stock of hallucinogenes.

Seriously, it is a point of view illusion - the plane was coming straight at you, or going away with its tail pointed straight at you. It is very difficult to judge speed this way. It's what led to the MIR space station accident...

The right spin: how to fly a broken space craft

haha esti que vous êtes wack, I'm just saying what I saw and everybody thinks I take drugs now. And for the angle, the plan was side ways.

^^

ok dude it's an optical illusion, airliners don't hover. The plane was simply about to land and thus was traveling at a very low rate of speed. The effect is even stronger if it's coming towards you, because its trajectory is direcly alligned with your eyesight.

For example, on a very long straight flat stretch of road, if a car is coming straight at you very fast from a good distance, you'll have the impression that it's not really moving, or moving very slowly because it doesn't move from your perspective. It will just get slightly bigger and bigger as it approaches (againd because of your perspective).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back