Unhooking SUPER-HICAS AW-steering on 95 240sx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off

My cousin wants to remove the SUPER HICAS system on his SR20 240sx, how would we go about doing this?

Thanks

i think you can do that by removing the chip in the front of the car, but i'm not to sure, but why would he want to do that?

Chip in the front of the car?? Could you be more specific please? The ECU? I dont think i'd want to remove that. I checked and I don't see any chips in front of the car.

1995 240sx don't have super Hicas :S ... lol Maybe you're talking about the vLSD... which I wouldn't see why he'd like to unhook lol!

I highly doubt it's something like a chip or a program even if it's the Super Hicas... and it doesn't change a thing if it's SR or non... the engine doesn't change if it's AWS or non

Originally posted by Off
Chip in the front of the car?? Could you be more specific please? The ECU? I dont think i'd want to remove that. I checked and I don't see any chips in front of the car.

I Dont think youve search enough theres at least 20chips in front of the car in 2 diferrent boxes ! and sorry but no Hicas on 95 and up !

oh he wants to drift eh ? hehe

i like it when it sticks on the road, i love my Hicas :)

and np ;)

Perhaps it looks like a dumb question but what the super hicas do on a 240? The rear wheels turns with the front ones?

yes

when you turn depending on the speed and the position of the steering wheel the rear wheels turn the opposite side than the ones in the front to help you take curves better

i love it ... wen i make U turns i dont take all the road ..1 line is enought :)

they dont turn many degrees but it helps alot

yep, this is what i was thinking but i didn't know that the back wheels turns in the opposite of the front ones!

Thanks my friend!:bigup:

Last edited:
Originally posted by S13
yes

when you turn depending on the speed and the position of the steering wheel the rear wheels turn the opposite side than the ones in the front to help you take curves better

i love it ... wen i make U turns i dont take all the road ..1 line is enought :)

they dont turn many degrees but it helps alot

little do you know they can point in SAME or OPPOsite direction depending on speed and how hard you are turning. Buy an FSM and learn. as for taking U-turns another thing you could learn Hicas aint on at lowspeeds and i doubt you drive like me ;) haha:p

dude

In U turns i can do it in one lane perfectly

so that means that it does work at low speed

on narrow streets i can u turn with out having to back up or any extra manouvers :) it's hard to belive that it doesnt work at low speeds

didn't know that sometimes they turn the same way as the front ones

I can do u turns in a 2 lane street without having to pull back with my s14.
The 240 just turns on a dime... Hicas or not.

And Sspikey is right about it not working during low speed turns.
Althought I don't know exactly what speed is required for the system to engage I'm sure someone here could provide us with that information.

i could but my FSM is 10 feet away from me and im SUPER lazy.
oh and S13 guy.
have a friend with a FWD?
ask him to FULLY lock his steering. look at it
now go do yours while the cars are off and be shocked but wanna know somethign even cooler? i can make it go an extra 1/2 turn when your fully countered ;) think it turns well? imagine with an extra 1/2 turn more ;) but even better during drifts your wheel is almost pointing in the direction of your slide its SICK to see in action!

HICAS:
High Capacity Actively Controlled Steering

hicas.jpg

The state of the art 4 wheel steering system which features active control of the vehicle's rate of yaw to adjust the rear wheel angle in order to improve stability when cornering. Essentially adjusting the TOE IN of the rear tires to the opposite of what the front tires are doing inorder to improve cornering radius.

hicastest.GIF

This is a picture of the HICAS system working on a Z32 (300zx)

Advantages:

HICAS is an excellent system for road and regular driving condition. Highway conditions make the car feel more stable since the system cators to everyday driving.

Disadvantages:

The HICAS system can be cumbersome when pushing your car to the limits. Many people are unsettled by this since it is out of the drivers control. Since the system was develped to produce smooth driving for day in and day out conditions. When it's taken to the track, the system seems sluggish as it can't keep up.

4 Wheel Steer Vehicles

The HICAS system was developed and implimented on the following models of 'S' chassis vehicles:

PS13 - Silvia (J) 91 - 93
RPS13 - 180sx (J) 91 - 96.5
KMS13 - 240sx (US) 91 - 93 (hatch only)
- avalible on all Canadian models
- only avalible with "handling" package in the US
- not avalible on coupe models in North America

Other vehicles:
Z32 - 300ZX (US) 90 - 96
Z32 - Fairlady Z (J) 90 - 98

A common misconception is that the Skyline's 4WS system is ATTESA, but the Skyline actually runs off of the second generation of HICAS called Super HICAS.

ATTESA came in the following models of Skylines:

BNR32 - Skyline (J) ATTESA
BNR33 - Skyline (J) ATTESA E-TS Pro v1.
BNR34 - Skyline (J) ATTESA E-TS Pro v2.

Originally posted by S13

Disadvantages:

The HICAS system can be cumbersome when pushing your car to the limits. Many people are unsettled by this since it is out of the drivers control. Since the system was develped to produce smooth driving for day in and day out conditions. When it's taken to the track, the system seems sluggish as it can't keep up.

Understeer 1-2-3 with this crap on
it has MORE than once almost put me into the wall and caused me enough heart ache ive wanted to toss the damn thing out. g-d i hate this ****ing system SOOOOOOO bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back