Transborder Travelling Info -- Updated --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknojnky

This will be stickied and in the FAQ section.

Quels montants est-ce que je peut rapporter? What ammounts of valuables am I allowed to bring back?

Après chaque absence de 24 heures ou plus, tu peut déclarer pour 200$ CAN en valeur sans payer de taxes ou taux de droits.

After each absence of 24 hours or more, You can claim up to CAN$200 worth of goods without paying any duties.

Après chaque absence de 48 heures ou plus, tu peut déclarer pour 800$ CAN en valeur sans payer de taxes ou taux de droits.

After each absence of 48 hours or more, You can claim up to CAN$800 worth of goods without paying any duties.

Après chaque absence de 7 jours ou plus, tu peut déclarer pour 800$ CAN en valeur sans payer de taxes ou taux de droits.

After each absence of 7 days or more, You can claim up to CAN$800 worth of goods without paying any duties.

BSF5056 I Declare

Alors si tu parts Vendredi matin et reviens Dimanche soir, c'est 48 heures/800$. Si tu as pour 1000$ de biens, tu payes les taxes et droits sur la différence alors 1000$ - 800$ = 200$ est le montant que tu va être calculé.

So if you leave Friday morning, come back Sunday night, it's 48 hours/800$. If you have 1000$ worth of goods, you pay taxes & levies on the difference so 1000 - 800 = 200$ you pay on 200$.

Temps d'attente Canada - US Border Wait times
Major offices such as Lacolle, Cornwall and so on.

Border Wait Times

Quels Documents est-ce que j'ai besoin pour rentrer aux USA? What Documents do I need to enter the USA?
* ALL persons traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport or Air NEXUS card.

* Oral declarations are no longer accepted from Canadian citizens seeking to enter the U.S. by sea and/or land.

* By Land and Sea (including ferries) - Canadian citizens traveling to the U.S. by land or sea are required to present one of the travel documents listed below, and may generally visit the U.S. for up to six months. CBP will accept: Canadian passport, Enhanced Driver's License/Enhanced Identification Card, NEXUS, FAST/EXPRES and SENTRI enrollment cards.

Answer

C'est tout pour l'instant, si qqn as de l'info PERTINANTE, svp affichez-le.
That's it for now, if anybody has more RELEVANT info, please post it up.

Updated October 09, 2013

Last edited:
Thx teknojnky, I've been looking for info like this for a while to confirm the passport issue...awesome post!!

Alchohol & Tobacco

This might be useful as well:

Some people will stop at the American duty free on the way back to Canada in order to buy Alcoholic beverages. You must be at least 18 years old to bring it in.

You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:

* 1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;

* 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor;

* a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or

* 24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounces) cans or bottles (maximum of 8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

You are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts of tobacco into Canada without paying duty:

* 200 cigarettes;

* 50 cigars or cigarillos;

* 200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and

* 200 tobacco sticks.

... I am not sure about alcohol, but once I brought in 2 cartons of cigarettes when I am only allowed with 1. I had to pay duties on the 2nd carton = 103% of the cost :yikes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Radar Detectors

In some countries and areas, such as those listed below, using or possessing a radar detector is illegal and may result in fines, seizure of the device, or both. These prohibitions generally are introduced under the premise that a driver who uses a radar detector will pose a greater risk of accident than a driver who does not. However, some research has found that the opposite is true. The 2001 Mori report suggests that radar detector users posed a 28% less risk of accident.

# United States law varies from state to state, but detectors are generally legal in private vehicles under the Communications Act of 1934[8] and illegal in commercial vehicles by DOT regulation (49 CFR 392.71). Exceptions:

* Illegal in all vehicles: Virginia, Washington D.C., U.S. military bases

* Illegal in commercial vehicles under state law: Illinois, New York (specifically, commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) and all vehicles over 18,000 pounds (8,200 kg))

* Indirectly illegal: Minnesota and California (illegal to hang anything from the windshield with suction cups; however both dashboard and visor mounting is allowed.) [1] It is also indirectly illegal in NY State, pursuant to Title 3 Article 9 § 375.30 of the New York State vehicle and traffic law[9]. It states:
(§ 375) 30. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle with any object placed or hung in or upon the vehicle, except required or permitted equipment of the vehicle, in such a manner as to obstruct or interfere with the view of the operator through the windshield, or to prevent him from having a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.
Radar detector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
What Foods May I Bring?

What Foods May I Bring?

Yeah as weird as it may sound, let's say you want to bring a snack or two.

Every fruit or vegetable must be declared to a CBP Officer and must be presented for inspection - no matter how free of pests it appears to be.

Meats, livestock, poultry, and their products are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States, depending on the animal disease condition in the country of origin. Fresh meat is generally prohibited from most countries. Canned, cured, or dried meat is severely restricted from some countries.

Bakery items, candy, chocolate, and cured cheese are generally admissible. Canned goods and goods in vacuum packed jars (other than those containing meat or poultry products)are also generally admissible if being imported for personal use.

Dairy items such as milk, yogurt, butter are generally admissible, hard cured cheese such as parmesan or cheddar are generally admissible, soft cheeses such as brie and soft curd cheese and cheese in water(ricotta, feta, etc.) are not.

Cooked and raw poultry is permitted from Canada except from the province of Saskatchewan. However, to bring poultry products from any province in Canada into the United States, you must have proof of the origin of the poultry. For example, proof of origin would be the grocery stores receipt where the product was purchased, or the label on the product indicates the province in which it was packaged.

Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada.

Answer

Last edited:
what about if i want to bring an item to waterfest to sell?
do i need to decalare it as i pass U.S. custums? (yes i am looking on their site...)

FYI for anyone planning to buy bolt-ons, or even tires while in the US. This past autumn, I bought winter tires in Plattsburgh. I did my homework first with the customs/border ppl. Firstly, It cost me almost nothing to declare them and I still saved money vs the cheapest I found in montreal. Secondly, If you *******install****** anything to your car, they can, and according to them usually will, consider your car modified upon reintry. You may want to look into what those repercussions are. Basically you pay duty on the entire car's value, if it's still admissible after changes.

When you're evaluating the risk/reward/loss of getting something in the US, and claiming it, It's important to know this. If you get a sick deal on a cat-back and install it and they catch you, and your car's worth 30000 and imported from somewhere non US (which I imagine is the case for anyone here) you can wind up paying duty charges beyond the value of said catback.

Food for Thought.

This might be useful as well:
Some people will stop at the American duty free on the way back to Canada in order to buy Alcoholic beverages. You must be at least 18 years old to bring it in.
You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:

* 1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;

* 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor;

* a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or

* 24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounces) cans or bottles (maximum of 8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

You are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts of tobacco into Canada without paying duty:

* 200 cigarettes;

* 50 cigars or cigarillos;

* 200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and

* 200 tobacco sticks.

... I am not sure about alcohol, but once I brought in 2 cartons of cigarettes when I am only allowed with 1. I had to pay duties on the 2nd carton = 103% of the cost :yikes:
Just a little FYI:
If you have not been abscent from Canada for at least 48hrs, you do NOT have any alcohol or tobacco exemptions, even if you made the purchase at the duty free shop on either the canadian side(as you enter the U.S. ) or on the U.S. side just before returning. If you haven't been charged in the past, good for you. That is simply how the law is.

And Let it be known that even the first 200 cigarettes that are included in your exemption can be charged a 15$ Health Canada tax if the packs do not mention "Canada Duty Paid". That tax was created to get people to quit.

One last thing, 18years old is not only it, you have to be of legeal age to drink or purchase tobacco as per the province you live in ie: Quebec 18, Ontario 19.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back