Removing Amp Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripleA

I have cap which is connected to a splitter (+) which leads to each separate amp. If I want to remove an amp, do I have to disconnect the battery/fuse? Or can I just disconnect the (+) from the splitter. Thanks.

I would disconect the battery, just to be safe...I f****** hate shocks and wouldn't want to say to myself afterwards "I should've disconnected that @#%@#% battery".

but if you're feeling lazy, and don't want to disconnect the battery (god forbid the radio would be set to factory settings *jawdrop*), be sure to disconnect the amp from the splitter, NOT the amp. Disconnect from the amp and you'll have a live wire with a lot of potential to blow your fuse at the least...if not, more serious damage to your electrical system is possible.

Maybe someone could quote me on this, maybe it's not necessary at all..?

Disconnect the wrire from your main fuse back. Disconnect the amps ground wire...

Here's an excerpt from another site...
Discharging the Capacitor:
If you plan to remove your capacitor for any reason, you may want to completely discharge the capacitor to avoid a potential hazard. To discharge the capacitor (only after it's disconnected from the system, of course), will need to enable the current to flow from one terminal to the other. You can use either a test light or resistor for this purpose. Some large capacitors tend to develop a charge similar to a battery and will produce a small voltage across its terminals. Since, in a large capacitor (over .5 farad), even a small voltage could be dangerous. After it is discharged, you may want to connect the terminals together with a piece of wire or resistor. Even if the capacitor design doesn't permit it to develop adverse voltages when unused, leave the terminals connected as a visual confirmation of the unit's safety.

AudioAltima, I only want to remove one amp, keeping the other one.
So I should take the fuse out at the engine, take the ground off the amp, and then take the (+) off the amp, right?
The quote you included, does that mean I have to discharge the cap?

I would disconect the battery, just to be safe...I f****** hate shocks and wouldn't want to say to myself afterwards "I should've disconnected that @#%@#% battery".

By the way you can't get a shock on a car battery... just try touching the + and - directly on the battery

12v is not high enough to feel anything

But your advice to disconnect the battery isn't bad anyways if you don't want to fry anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back