Mazda RX8 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) We don't care that it burns oil. We understand a rotary and understand why it works the way it does.

2) We hate that it consumes a ton of fuel. We understand why, it's just insanity for a 232hp car, if DD. (03 Cobra will get better MPG o_O)

3) 9000rpm is awesome, a lot of fun to play with, no quarrels.

To stay on the TG trend "Sports car for the family man with room in the back for your 2.2 kids." That's what it is, I don't think Mazda wanted anything else. They didn't set out for it to be a track hardcore racer. But it's a daily driver that drinks premium at 15mpg. That's where the water gets muddy. That's where it's a contradiction. Not hard enough to be pure, not practical enough to be usable.

I mostly agree with you and that why I'm a bit mad at Mazda, they should have built a new RX7 instead with no compromise. That being said, it's not hard to fix what Mazda screwed with their oil metering system and the amount of fuel injected to preserve the CAt. This is what I did, and this is why I'm so happy with this car, for less than 1K. All the other mod were just for fun and to increase the perf.

Cheers,

I dont mean you being insecure as a person......it seems most rotary owners have to justify their purchase by enlighting the world how the technology is so good that it never had the time or development to really take off.....

Good car overall, unique in most aspects, but id rather have a darn good 6cyl!

This is not totally false. I'm probaly tied to that car because of it's uniqueness. The only reason why I would go back to a 6 cyl would be for a Cayman S or something similar, not a car that can be seen everywhere or be confused as an econobox.

All I have to say is HOLY SHIAT@RX-8 prices now!!!!

I checked on lespac for fun and I've seen some at 10k. Thats gotta hurt!

All I have to say is HOLY SHIAT@RX-8 prices now!!!!

I checked on lespac for fun and I've seen some at 10k. Thats gotta hurt!

that's hurt... for the rx owners, but for new buyers it's good. Knowing how most of the owners take care of their car I wouldn't buy a used rx. Most of them are all 2004 wich were the ones with most of the defects.

What will happen is that I will keep mine for a while, I spent so much time perfecting it that it would be dumb to sell it for that amount. And I still have the 8 year warranty on the motor plus still 3 years of end-to-end warranty.

One of the advantages of the rotary is that it's simple and not costy to rebuild it, so I should be able make it last long.

that's hurt... for the rx owners, but for new buyers it's good. Knowing how most of the owners take care of their car I wouldn't buy a used rx. Most of them are all 2004 wich were the ones with most of the defects.

What will happen is that I will keep mine for a while, I spent so much time perfecting it that it would be dumb to sell it for that amount. And I still have the 8 year warranty on the motor plus still 3 years of end-to-end warranty.

One of the advantages of the rotary is that it's simple and not costy to rebuild it, so I should be able make it last long.

I heard a lot of people are needing engine rebuilds at like 150k km. =/

I heard a lot of people are needing engine rebuilds at like 150k km. =/

2004 rx8 with poor lubrication. That's true. There is also many that last longuer than 160k km. Personaly, I drive around 4k km per year, so I don't expect to ever see that kind of numbers so I will never know. Any way, I am decarbonizing the engine and cleaning up everything each year, I don't think that will hurt.
I'm propably the only one crazy enough to do that...

cons far outweigh the pros.

ok so your engine is like 50 pounds lighter. woooooh. better balance is the only good thing i can think of.
but i guess having less torque than a D15, having to feed it oil,and feeding it more gas than a corvette are all worth it.

there's plenty of normal 4 bangers that can make that power and don't leave you spending all your time in a garage.

i'd rather have a DSM.

yes, these engines can function. but i just don't see the need for them to exist when the far superior and more reliable design that we've been using for a century, is still perfectly fine.

everyone has made some good arguments,

but pgrothe, you definately have made some pretty wack claims.

take a look at the redline time attack from 2008. not one rx-8. a few miatas, that did very well.
but im more going after your subaru evo claim about track cars. a subaru or evo was the overall winner for 6 events. and i couldnt even find anyone competing with an rx-8.

take a look at the redline time attack from 2008. not one rx-8. a few miatas, that did very well.
but im more going after your subaru evo claim about track cars. a subaru or evo was the overall winner for 6 events. and i couldnt even find anyone competing with an rx-8.

nono its grocery getter it cant be ...

redline time attack is nothing officile you dont have the budget blablabla i love my rx8 bla bla bla

ps: good point steev :bigup:

40.jpg

ok so your engine is like 50 pounds lighter. woooooh. better balance is the only good thing i can think of.
but i guess having less torque than a D15, having to feed it oil,and feeding it more gas than a corvette are all worth it.

there's plenty of normal 4 bangers that can make that power and don't leave you spending all your time in a garage.

i'd rather have a DSM.

yes, these engines can function. but i just don't see the need for them to exist when the far superior and more reliable design that we've been using for a century, is still perfectly fine.

Coudlnt have said it better!........told my RX8 friend the same thing!!

Give my normal pistons and valves with a proper high revving NA engine!

I could say the same about the Rolex GT series. The RX8 from Speedsource is always in the top 5. Have you seen any other cars like the EVO or STI?

Everyone have a good argument for what they think is the best. What ever I will say, there will always be someone to says that it's dumb or whatever. If you think that you know enough to say that a wankel is a piece of shit that should not exist, then good for you.

It's just too bad that LeMans exluded rotary engines in their 24h competion. They were winning all the time.

I could say the same about the Rolex GT series. The RX8 from Speedsource is always in the top 5. Have you seen any other cars like the EVO or STI?

Everyone have a good argument for what they think is the best. What ever I will say, there will always be someone to says that it's dumb or whatever. If you think that you know enough to say that a wankel is a piece of shit that should not exist, then good for you.

It's just too bad that LeMans exluded rotary engines in their 24h competion. They were winning all the time.

the reason i chose redline time attack and not rolex, is because a rolex series is a highly modified race car built to spec that is a lot more expensive and exclusive to get into. whereas the redline time attack has unlimited cars that can run any setup they wish no displacement or boost limits and any jerk with a built car can compete.

i am not against the rx-8, i think they are great cars, excellent value and superb handling.

About Redline Tiem Attack:

Here is the results for the october 2008 event for the Street RWD class at Virginia International Raceway. I don't know were you were looking.

Street RWD:
1 Thomas Hiromoto - Fuji Racing Mazda Miata - 52.957
2 Eric Wei - Revision Honda S2000 - 55.136
3 Mark - Revision Mazda RX-8 - 55.738
4 John Marsh - Allstars Mazda Miata - 1:03.492

This is not first but it's not last either and it prove that the RX8 was there.

In that competition, the EVO shined in one competition, and it's the street AWD. The EVO is probably the fastest AWD that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
The EVO can participate in 6 events, so your claim was that the EVO won every single events that they were allowed ? Impressive ;-)

So I'm the one making wack claims ?

What ever stupid thing or weird comparisons you make all I have to say is: Enjoy your freaking car! If you like it, its all that counts!

i'd rather have a DSM.

50 pounds lighter than what ? My comparison with the LS7 was 180 pounds lighter. It's the equivalent of having one of your friend siting in the engine bay. Plus you don't need all the cam, valves, rods shit. The engine always goes in the same direction, so almost no vibration at all.

Having a lightweight engine doesn'T make a car faster. It allows the engineers to place then engine being the front axel. In the rx8, the full engine and the fuel tank is between both axel so the weight is concentrated in the midle of the car. The effect of that is no parasitic weight, you can place your car where you want, even at very hight speed. Try that with a Mustang.

BTW I never had to go to the garage to fix anything, it's been two years now that I own the car. So I don't see your point about the garage.

What ever stupid thing or weird comparisons you make all I have to say is: Enjoy your freaking car! If you like it, its all that counts!

Yeah... if you like it who the hell cares what me or anyone else thinks. It's a good little car, if you can live (or even love :D) the flaws, good on you. You're the better for it!

Cheers :bigup:

50 pounds lighter than what ? My comparison with the LS7 was 180 pounds lighter. It's the equivalent of having one of your friend siting in the engine bay. Plus you don't need all the cam, valves, rods shit. The engine always goes in the same direction, so almost no vibration at all.

Having a lightweight engine doesn'T make a car faster. It allows the engineers to place then engine being the front axel. In the rx8, the full engine and the fuel tank is between both axel so the weight is concentrated in the midle of the car. The effect of that is no parasitic weight, you can place your car where you want, even at very hight speed. Try that with a Mustang.

BTW I never had to go to the garage to fix anything, it's been two years now that I own the car. So I don't see your point about the garage.

Maserati does the same with a traditional NA 4.2 V8 engine........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back