June 6, 1944

if you want to see a classic war movie about d-day go watch "The Longuest Day" preferably in the original black and white

if you want to see a classic war movie about d-day go watch "The Longuest Day" preferably in the original black and white

The problem with those old war classics is that they don't show any blood or gore, everything is clean, sanitize and glory abound, this way the government can recruit more young men to join and fight their dirty little wars ! Only since Saving Private Ryan in 1998 did Hollywood start portraying the real images of war so as to not belittle our veterans, most of the public have no idea on the firepower of weapons from even WWI !

To give you a perspective, a "single" shell from a ordinary 105mm field gun fired into the center of the Big O would "pulverize"(think hamburger meat !) everyone in it !

Now imagine on Easter morning April 7, 1917, Canadians fired 1,000,000 rounds at the Germans before they charged them !

Now on top of this, imagine the state of weaponry that has progressed since 1917 and you start to see the real firepower and the lives that it will kill !

God knows that we have become good at killing one another, but when will we ?

We all forget that other nations took part in WWII as well, but are never mentioned by any of our politicians nor media and somehow the enemy get all mixed up in today's generation !

Allies:
USA
UK
Canada
Russia
China
Australia
Greece
Norway
Netherlands
Poland

Axises: (The enemy)
Germany
Japan
Italy

yes we're all very aware of the participants, but thanks for putting it all out there for us........ (good job putting USA first :( thank you Stalin:bigup:)

Now on top of this, imagine the state of weaponry that has progressed since 1917 and you start to see the real firepower and the lives that it will kill !

God knows that we have become good at killing one another, but when will we ?

Yeah man, this stuff has come along waaaay too far... but to be honest, I much prefer the swords& muskets, howitzers & horses style of war... that 18-19th century grind-it-out-until-the-other-guy's-choking-on-his-own-adams-apple stuff.. and then WW1-2 where advanced guns and radar came into play, but war was still so personal and brutal...

So much gets lost in today's technological warfare, the insane aircraft, rockets, JDAM, radars and sonar.. it's difficult to compare for a few reasons, namely the emphasis on strategy and placement of then vs the intricacy of today's warfare.... while the principles stay the same, the applications are soo different... but don't get me wrong, nothing can take away from the destructiveness and effectiveness of today's weapons, but I'm so much more down for that gorey pre-1946 shit

This thread deserves a bump on the anniversary of D-Day, 66 years ago. Thank you to all those that serve.

I was part of the parade at Pointe-Claire.
Although there were tents set up for them, many veterans stood proud in the rain, and many are still in good shape.
There were even a few veterans of the Polish army

I don't think enough credit is given to the Russians. Everything is so focused on the beaches of Normandy, and the American side of the story. I'm not just saying this because my grandfather fought for the USSR, because, after all...

reichstag2.jpg

...it was Russia that ended the war.

Why are you bragging about that, what pride can he take in being a coward.

RIP to my grandfather and great-uncle they both fought and returned from storming the beach.

Lol what a shitty comment you just wrote there. There is nothing coward about refusing to get killed horribly on the other side of the world.

Je suis sur que toi tu y serais alle sans meme chigner...right.

Indeed the Russians played a key role. They'd rather burn their city to the ground than surrender. They were under-equipped, but they sure gave the Axis hell.
The nazis had slim to none of a chance due to their poor logistics crossing the winter, and the Russians just added to it with sheer determination.

We all think of Normandy, but we have to remember there were so many campaigns all over Europe as well as North Africa.

Its like Snipe just said The soviets had a key role. By holding up about 1 million German men and like several thousand tank and like tens of thousands of artilery pieces and like athousand planes in Stalingrad they won the war. Think about it, the story on the western front would have been tragically different had the solders the ussr were occupying were in warm France as opposed to frozen hell russia. God bless our veterans and allies for I'm sure a half breed like me couldn't exist had hitler won.

Guys, the Juno band on june 6, 1944 were mainly regiment 22! wich is the guys from val-cartier! Very interesting if you didn't know.

Or you go in hiding like my grand-father did. That's when he met my grand-mother :)

Lol what a shitty comment you just wrote there. There is nothing coward about refusing to get killed horribly on the other side of the world.

Ce conflit a été couvert de long en large depuis plus de 60 ans. Ce que ça l'a coûté et ce que ça l'aurait pu coûter si l'Allemagne Nazi aurait gagné n'est pas un secret. Ce que vous avez aujourd'hui vous le devez en partie à ces gens qui sont "mort horriblement de l'autre côté du monde". Vous êtes une honte et vos ancêtres ne méritent aucune considération.

RIP à mon grand-père, sergent-instructeur du R22e qui a participé à des batailles en Europe.

Je suis sur que toi tu y serais alle sans meme chigner...right.

actually yes, I would have I would not have taken the cowards way of shooting myself in the foot like so many others did....
seeing as my Grandfather on my Italian side was a pow and was tortured by the italians fascists. You cant change my mind on this seeing as the rest of Canada were going to liberate France on top of it...but hey they are heroes for deliberately injuring themselves to avoid being conscripted.
I don't see anyone else claiming to be these big heroes just quebec..
My Grandfather and my Great-Uncle on my moms side both landed on Normandy, I had the honor of meeting my great-uncle but my grandfather was killed by a drunk driver when my mom was 7 or so.
there is a difference of being an objector and being a coward. Its a touchy issue but people are allowed to maintain an opinion on a message board. I have mine you have yours. I do have the freedom to express mine just as much as you have yours.
I am proud of what they did, they deserve the recognition for across the ocean to save Europe from being overrun.

James Doohan ("Scotty" on Star Trek) landed on Juno Beach on D-Day as a lieutenant with the Royal Canadian Artillery. Tweeted by @canwarmuseum today. I had no idea.

My grand father Was a Explosive engineer.

I blow up Bridge and other think with dynamite.

after the war He never quit the alcoholism.
he was devastated And never talk about what He did at war.

I think he blow out more than bridge.

In fact, Hitler was stupid to betray his alliance with Russia and tried to take over. Stalingrad was probably where they failed and it kept going down since. Not too mention Russians raped like 2 millions German, that wasn't necessary. Props still to those that fought, until their last breath

Error, this device is too sexy to be identified.!#=/+?+

Because of those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom, I pay tremendous respect to those soliders. For that reason, EVERYTIME that there are elections, I do my duty as citizen and go to the ballot.

Unlike the 2.5 Million people who did not vote at the last provincial elections....Voting should be an obligation....

Ce conflit a été couvert de long en large depuis plus de 60 ans. Ce que ça l'a coûté et ce que ça l'aurait pu coûter si l'Allemagne Nazi aurait gagné n'est pas un secret. Ce que vous avez aujourd'hui vous le devez en partie à ces gens qui sont "mort horriblement de l'autre côté du monde". Vous êtes une honte et vos ancêtres ne méritent aucune considération.

RIP à mon grand-père, sergent-instructeur du R22e qui a participé à des batailles en Europe.

question perpective.

Sa aurrai ete mieu pour europe de lest que les Nazi Gagne la guerre.
La wermarch est tres respecter en Estonie .
pour eux larme allemande sont des sauveur comme Notre armer pour la france.

Estonie un bon exemple il ont vecu les deux regime Soviet et Nazi
pour eux Les Nazi cest les Gentile dans lhistoire et le mall a ganier.

675px-Mälestusmärk_Eesti_meestele.jpg

Because of those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom, I pay tremendous respect to those soliders. For that reason, EVERYTIME that there are elections, I do my duty as citizen and go to the ballot.

Unlike the 2.5 Million people who did not vote at the last provincial elections....Voting should be an obligation....

Voting does not change anything. The day it will is when my vote will actually count.

(when all votes are totaled together not per county which is ridiculous)

There never was real democracy in this country

Democracy is a big scam

As I've said before, volunteering to go to war absolutely baffles me.

My absolute respect and gratitude goes to those who do it, they're a different breed.

They loved their countries, and actually there was a draft.

Back