E46 M3 or B6 S4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchy

Legacy Member
What would you go for ignoring the "which is faster" fact, but in overall driveability and features, which would you go for?

EDIT: Just to clarifiy, the B6 S4 is a 4.2L V8, no turbos!

Winter or not? Although the M3 is awesome in winter, the S4 would win my vote.

M3 for me. But I never drove a B6 for an extended period of time, so I might be biased. Think parts are cheaper on the S4 than the M3... My asshole feels sore every time I go to the mechanics...

All year driving in Montreal.

I'm looking in the budget of $20-25k, which is very attainable for either car if I try. (I don't even see any better options in that price range either!)

All year, you may want to consider the S4 then.

I drive my M3 in winter and think it's awesome with brand new tires each winter, but not every M3 driver share my opinion. DSC plays a big role if you don't fear being called a douche to leave it on... I disable it only for fun purposes but not going back and forth to work for example. DSC has always been great for me, it's hassle/sideways free driving.

Just be careful, the M3 is certainly not a budget car since everything is as twice as expensive than a regular 3 series. My car is in top shape, but this year alone, tires, maintenance and little repairs have cost me over 7,000$. (Stab pins, subframe reinforcement, 3 oil changes, two sets of tires, electric fan, clutch fan, etc.). But insurance are really cheap for this car, I find.

What about higher mileage M3's? I know there's some major maintenance to be done up there if it hasn't been done already... Would you be afraid to pick up an M3 with 100,000 - 150,000 kms?

What about higher mileage M3's? I know there's some major maintenance to be done up there if it hasn't been done already... Would you be afraid to pick up an M3 with 100,000 - 150,000 kms?

I added to my above post.

I wouldn't fear at all 100,000km... My car is now at 120,000km and looks and drives almost like new (except for convertible sqeeking which is pretty normal, it's like this since it had 30,000km and my Boxster was the same...). I use it alot.

Both are junk, get a STI/EVO and call it a day..........btw i still need a HD receiver, so prepare to receive a call in a few days :)

M3 > S4 pour moi.

Mais mon cousin avait une S4 TT 2001 qu il a changé pour une M3 2003 SMG pour ensuite la rechanger pour une S4 V8 B6.

Pourquoi?

Je crois qu il s ennuyait l hiver MAIS surtout avec 2 enfants ce n est pas pratique meme si il avait une Mazda-6 familiale pour la famille.

E46 M3 but beware of high maintenance costs for both cars.. Especially the Audi since they aren't known for stellar reliability

Having lived with an E46 M3 for a few months I'd say it's about as perfect as a street car can get. Comfortable and easy going. Ok the fuel consumption isn't exactly a Honda Civic but on a tank you can maybe see 550km's if you drive a tad spirited which you will be doing all the time. The beauty about the M3 is that you can take a highway off ramp at double the suggested speed :).

20k for an M3 is at the low end of the scale.. Don't expect one in that range with low KM's and it will have a spotted service history. I'd be looking at a car with at least a decent service history and one that doesn't have a ton of KM's on it either. Make sure you get one with a manual trans and not SMG.. SMG costs a ton of cash to fix when it breaks and most likely it will. The S54 motor is very strong and holds up well to abuse.. not supercharging. I wouldn't be worried about buying an E46 M3 with higher mileage just make sure you have it checked out by a place such as Bimmershop. At higher mileage the rear subframe bushings will need to be changed along with the front control arm bushings. They wear out very fast and unfortunatly that subframe bushing job is on the pricey side.

The M3 is again an amazing car in the winter but you need to have good tires such as LM25s or Dunlop Winter Sport M3s.. Not cheap for those 275s in the rear.... You will get used to looking out the side window while you are going around that corner at the top of 2nd sideways. The Audi isn't as much fun but it will be easy to live with in deep deep snow unlike the M3. Then again I never had any issues getting up the hill near my house with the M3 and snow.

While many people might want to drop an older M3 I suggest finding a used set of 05-06 ZCP suspension which came stock. It's perfect. The S4 is kinda soft on North American suspension I'd be looking for one with a sport pack. While the M3 feels alive, precise and agile.. The S4 feels a tad floating, understeery and wobbly. Go drive both and you'll see what I mean. While people here on MR might tell you to get an M3 with 19s or larger wheels for baller baller bling factor, I don't suggest it. The ride on 19s is poor so is the handling, when going over bumps it's very choppy. It mucks up the entire feel of the car.. The OEM 18s are the best choice for comfort and handling.

While an EVO or STi might be temping.. they have all be heavily abused and stock IHI STi turbos crack over time. They are expensive to replace as well... Stock handling isn't anything to rave about either..

That being said if you buy an M3 I can sell you that StopTech BBK I have sitting in my garage.

Only thing the S4 has over the M3 is a slightly less crappy feeling transmission.

Agree with Gregster, try to find an M3 with stock 18 inch wheels.

You're not buying an M3 or S4 for driving comfort, get the M3.

The Trans in the M3 is good however shifter feel is typical BMW Rubbery you can fix it with a new shifter and bushings.. Although the new M3 fixed that problem and the shifts are very short in the new car and precise.

i<ve driven the e46 and the s4 TT.

between both. Just thinking about driving fun, the m3 is better.

Dunnon if that helps you

I say m3
I did not own either of the two but did a lot of research when considering to buy one of those. From what I could learn, yes the m3 is expencive in repairs especially if you don`t DIY at all but when it comes to repairs and reliablity it is cheaper and more reliable than the s4. Also the s4 eats gas like there is no tomorrow without that much power output. Those turbos on the s4 tend to go pretty fast. Then there is the whole bunch of electrical issues.
Once again I`d say go for the m3, and the only time audi would rock it is in deep deep snow.

All year, you may want to consider the S4 then.

I drive my M3 in winter and think it's awesome with brand new tires each winter, but not every M3 driver share my opinion. DSC plays a big role if you don't fear being called a douche to leave it on... I disable it only for fun purposes but not going back and forth to work for example. DSC has always been great for me, it's hassle/sideways free driving.

Just be careful, the M3 is certainly not a budget car since everything is as twice as expensive than a regular 3 series. My car is in top shape, but this year alone, tires, maintenance and little repairs have cost me over 7,000$. (Stab pins, subframe reinforcement, 3 oil changes, two sets of tires, electric fan, clutch fan, etc.). But insurance are really cheap for this car, I find.

What $ did you find really cheap for a BMW insurance? I would like to know.

What $ did you find really cheap for a BMW insurance? I would like to know.

I'm with Meloche, it's 1,200$ because I love their service, but Jacque's insurance guy quoted me 811$ with same coverage, but he was 300$ mor on my house, so I kept Meloche. If I had the car alone, 811$ (tx in) with Aviva. It's a deal, when you look at the price of parts (accident...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back