LF: Box for shipping HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IllusionX

I'm looking for a box that can be used to ship a HD through a mail carrier. Required for sending my HD back to Seagate.

thanks,

Haha, don't believe Seagate.

I have had 3 defective Seagate 1TB Hard drives and I always just shipped it back with 1 layer of bubble wrap and a simple padded envelope from Canadapost. They don't care how you send it to them. They're well aware of their manufacturer defects on their hard drives and aren't willing to start any problems due to the fact that they can lose some serious reputation.

Trust me, you don't need a box.

wtf??

Well, i've always done advanced replacement, where they send me the HD first, and THEN i send back the defective one.. just never did with Seagate. With WD and Maxtor (and Quantum back in the days), advanced replacement were always free. You only have to pay shipping back to them.

Seagate is charging 19$USD for 2days guaranteed delivery and prepaid postage back :(
I used to have so many of those HD boxes...but started throwing them out. frick.

I'm sure if you walk in to most computer shops that put machines together, they could give you a small box. I know they mostly get them in OEM multipacks, but they surely have a box of normal size, and surely have antistatic bags and maybe even clamshell type covers. The foam and bubblepacking they surely have tons also.

Just tell them that your machine is out of store warranty, but the drive is still under rmanufacturer warranty so you want to send it back, but have no box.. They can often accomodate. Just don't go during thier busiest time of the day/week :)

I used to do the advance warranty also, but last time I had a drive to send back, I was surprised to see they now charge.. I guess that's what happens when you have swallowed most of your competition.

When you send your drive back, it is not going directly to seagate. It goes to a logistics company here in Canada, which collects them all and sends them to seagate in batches. The people working in these logistics companies have NO clue at what they are looking at (they look at returns for 100's of companies for 1000's of different items). They go online, check the RMA number, compare the serial number with that of the unit you sent. If it matches, they flag it as received, and then Seagate sends you another drive from thier warehouse in the US.

I even had a 750GB seagate which had failed.. I checked online and surely the drive was still under warranty, BUT..... description clearly stated "external freeagent drive", and the details stated I need to send the complete external drive and any drive without it's external casing would not be accepted.. I had bought a few used at the time (internal), so I guess the guy had ripped them out of external cases and sold cases separately. Anyhow at the price I had paid I didn't care.
However Seagate main flaw is that the external freeagent case, gets the SAME serial number as the internal drive (or at least it did back then). Figured I had nothing to loose since it was about $12 to ship, so I send the drive in alone (no external case), pretty sure it would be rejected. 3 days later, my RMA status said "Drive received" and 1 week later I had a brand new Freeagent pro 750GB external drive, with a brand new power supply and all.. I was pleasantly surprised..
I guess the logistics company saw the serial number matched.. had no clue what he was looking at, and figured it was received.. I'm not complaining :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back