'09 135i coupe vs '09 STi?

which one would you buy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicBug

I just found out that these two cost approximately the same (in the USA). The 135i is $35,850 and the STi is $34,995.

From what I've read on forums, the JB3 or whatever the newest version of the chip is gives the BMW 80 more hp. I don't know if there are any chips for the STI.

IIRC the STi comes better equipped since pricey options are BMW's bread and butter, so lets say that we are comparing the cars of the same price, meaning a fully-equipped STi and a base 135i.

Which would you choose and why?

EDIT: Lets say that this is your only car/daily driver. Anyone know anything about rear legroom and such in each car?

If i were on a market for a third car , i'd like to get a 135i convertible.

Why? : It's small , has four place , would make my wife happy , I could carry the kids, and have fun driving this little pocket rocket. Would chip it for sure and add BBS rims and call it a day.

Why not the STi then? I'm just not in that sporty boy-toy category anymore...

I'm going to just throw this out there, on behalf of myself, and possibly Epic_Velo,

go for the fully STi !!!!!!!\
great car, great look, performance in mind, practical..
it doesnt have that initial "oh look a BMW" factor (helpful if youre single) but from the inside out, the STi has everything you need

135i
front headroom (inches): 37.9,
rear headroom (inches): 37.1,
front hip room (inches): 56.0,
rear hip room (inches): 55.0,
front leg room (inches): 41.4,
rear leg room (inches): 32.0,
front shoulder room (inches): 54.0
rear shoulder room (inches): 53.4

STi
Front head room 40 "
Rear head room 38 "
Front shoulder room 55 "
Rear shoulder room 53 "
Front hip room 53 "
Rear hip room 53 "
Front leg room 43.5 "
Rear leg room 33.5 "
Luggage capacity 19.0 cu.ft.
Maximum cargo capacity 44.4 cu.ft

I haven't been in the new STi, but I had a chance to be in the 135i on the road and on the track.

It's very powerful, comfortable and well equipped. It also handles great, despite the fact that it's on the heavy side of the scale.

The aftermarket support seems good, too.

The STi is most likely a better ride during winter, but it's definitly not as refined as the bimmer... IMO

active autowerke is doing a lot of part for the twin turbo engine.
Exhaust, intake, chip, bov kit etc...
You can reach the 400hp range with the chip and exhaust.
Which is pretty good.

BUT

I sat down in the beemer at the salon de l'auto last year and i felt squeeze in the car. It was winter and i and i had a jacket and it was short.

Those two cars would not even be my choice... even if i'm a huge fan of bmw

altho i love the 1 series, i would go with the sti.
being 4 doors is a plus, and awd is a big plus in quebec.

bmw 135 hands down. sti is boy-racer status image. Not an everyday car IMO but a weekend toy to add to your weekend toys :p

STi
I think it would be better suited for winter (8 months a yr lol)
I think it also looks hot and comes well equiped. Its not as boy toy as the older models!

The STI will be better during the winter, but the BMW will definitely say that you are a bit classier. As a family car, a used 3 series would probably be the best option, or if you really go luxury with little sport, you can easily pick up a 2006 530xi for a bit less that that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back