Camber change when lowering car with torsion beam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

@cUr@-TL

Legacy Member
I'd like to know if going 1.5" lower will have any effect on camber on a car that has a torsion beam in the rear ?

I would think not, but I've read different things and I'm kinda confused now...

Suspension gurus, please step in! :bigup:

Yes it should affect the camber angle of your car, although we would need the exact geometry of the suspension to know by how much it would change.

To be honest with you, I am not very familiar with torsion beam suspension, but like most suspension designs, you should get some camber gain as the ride height changes.

This is why most race cars have unequal length a-arms for their suspension, unequal length a-arms allow the camber curve to be ''tuned'' by changing the length of the top a-arm vs the length of the lower a-arm. The shorter top a-arm rotates around a smaller arc than the lower a-arm. Therefore adjusting the camber as the suspension goes through it's travel.

here is a typical torsion beam suspension travel vs camber (on an audi in this case)

http://www.ika.rwth-aachen.de/forschung/veroeffentlichung/1998/1998-2/index.php

So yes it will change your camber

With a twisting-beam suspension, it's possible that there may not even be any camber adjustment at all.

I doubt that the camber would be affected much, because I just don't see there being much camber change in a typical twisting beam suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back