FS: medium case OBX (torsen/quaife) racing LSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

homer09

For sale is an OBX LSD for medium case bmw diffs (e30 6cyl/M3, E36, Z3, etc). This is a quality copy of the famous quaife differential. It is a gear/torsen type differential.

advantages:
- no clutches to wear out
- starts working even before a wheel starts to slip
- much smoother, quieter and manageable than a clutch
- doesnt heat up like a clutch when pushed
- doesnt need any special fluids

disadvantages:
- spins like an open diff if one wheel gets off the ground, however, thanks to BMW engineers, BMWs tend to lift the front inside wheel instead so this is not a problem

i recommend this diff for road racing, auto-x, solo, lapping, or even for aggressive street drivers. will do burn-outs and power slides like every good LSD should! for competition drifting, an aggressive clutch diff would be better over this.

installation instructions:
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=152657

what you get:
- complete OBX diff as seen on ebay for 400 US + shipping + custom fees at the border = ~550 CAN
- OEM speedo gear already installed (not included in ebay diff) and drilled for extra oil flow to the diff (speedo gear install isnt trivial since the OBX diameter doesnt match OEM)
- 2 brand new FAG bearings required for install (about 25 CAN each)
- all you need is your current medium case diff to swap into

PLUS: i've disassembled the diff to make sure it was properly assembled (some people have found theirs assembled backwards) and that nothing is wrong with it. you dont get that when you buy on ebay. I will send you the diff properly assembled with the right washer stacking and gear orientation. One less headache for you.

Yes these are made in China, and yes they are knockoffs. but they've been around for years now and are made for all different types of cars. people have successfully ran them in 400hp cars without problems. the only people who had problems are those that didnt take the time to take them apart and check everything over like i did. ive even checked that all fasteners are grade 12.9. the finishing is not up to the same quality as quaife (1500$), but that is only aesthetic and it doesnt matter for a part you will never see.

What you are looking at here is a 600$ investment. my loss your again, im letting this go for 400$ + shipping if required.

Whats the final drive ratio on these?

whichever ratio you put it in? this is just the core LSD unit, you need to supply your ring gear, pinion and case. the idea is you take your current open or worn out clutch diff and you swap the core for this. it wont change your ratio, it will just add sweet locking/drifting power to your rear end.

but if you need, i have an old 4.10 spare e30 diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back