Best DLSR camera for Beginner

I got the D5000 last week from Future Shop for $649. I love it!! However, it's a bit complicated for a beginner like myself. I'm learning new stuff every time I use it. Be warned though, you look like a tourist when you walk around with it lol

The lens you want are way more important, the body come second.

What kind of photography you want to do?

Canon T1i with new digic 4 & 12mp my cents little more then 500 $ but you won't be disappointed

Guys .... please don't stir shit in my thread and keep it appropriate.
Thanks for all those who posted informative stuff.

Im looking for live view ... thats for sure.
Video is not required.
I mostly will take pics of landscape and cars ....

Thats basically it, something to have fun with :)

^^^Tout ceux qui démarre un thread devrait pouvoir moderer son propre thread.... lol

Mon pere vient de s'acheter un D5000, il connait fuck all, moi non plus mais j'ai faite quelques pics en mode Auto et c'est au moins 40 000 fois meilleur que mon petit canon a 250$...

Si quelqu'un connait un site idéalement francais qui montre un peu a quoi sert les modes sa serait vraiment approprié pour ce type d'appareil.

Jesse, you don't need live-view on an SLR unless you're shooting video. Even the pros with $3000+ bodies will tell you the same. Sides, you can simply take a shot, and see it right after. Then if you have to make any adjustments, you can do them right away and fire again.

For landscape, you can honestly get any used DSLR for a better price, and spend the money on a wide-angle lens.

For cars, I assure you, you will "want" to have video at one point or another. Car photography is awesome, but there's nothing like seeing a car in motion (and not only "perceived motion" in pictures.)

Guys .... please don't stir shit in my thread and keep it appropriate.
Thanks for all those who posted informative stuff.

Im looking for live view ... thats for sure.
Video is not required.
I mostly will take pics of landscape and cars ....

Thats basically it, something to have fun with :)

cancel out the d3000 if you want live view and then the d5000 goes out of your budget

Canon XS or XSi, the you move up to the T1i or T2i

Jesse, you don't need live-view on an SLR unless you're shooting video. Even the pros with $3000+ bodies will tell you the same. Sides, you can simply take a shot, and see it right after. Then if you have to make any adjustments, you can do them right away and fire again.

For landscape, you can honestly get any used DSLR for a better price, and spend the money on a wide-angle lens.

For cars, I assure you, you will "want" to have video at one point or another. Car photography is awesome, but there's nothing like seeing a car in motion (and not only "perceived motion" in pictures.)

Oh see, I thought live view was just the fact of having a screen and be able to see the picture while taking it LOL.

So .. yeah ... no need of live view lol, as for video, I have a video camera and im telling you, not a video guy, I just love pics :)

I can spend more if I'll get a sicker machine but to start with, I really want the easiest one to use with decent lense :bigup:

the thing is, I didn't buy a camera for the name.
I picked several in my hands, and teh Pentax had the best grip (for my hand), easiest menus to navigate, etc. Everything felt logical and natural, to me.

I also like the shake reduction that is part of the body/ccd. This way, any lens I put will have that feature. I'll admit that there are some awesome Nikon/Canon lens out there, but they cost way too much. For an amateur or pro/am, Pentax offers some high quality lens as well. (see the DA* lineup)

It's not a question of being a fanboi or not. I used to love my film-based Minolta. Unfortunately, it got stolen. By the time I wanted to buy another, Sony bought up Konica/Minolta and the quality was no longer the same.

Actually Live View can be pretty useful at times. I use it when I'm using manual focus and use the 10x magnification on live view to make sure the subject is as sharp as possible. Auto focus works pretty well but there are times when you want to make an adjustment.

Here's an example when I used it, with the auto focus you couldn't really make out the craters.
4380977576_4a1bb989fb.jpg

Anyways Canon or Nikon are good choices, try them out. I was originally set on getting a Nikon and when I tried them in the stores Canon had the best fit for me (feel, button placement, etc.). Ended up choosing the XSi, I didn't care for shooting videos.

Canon or Nikon, nothing else.

I had both and I prefer the ergonomy and quality of Nikon.

Canon seem to aim at megapixel over image quality.

I had Canon in the past and I have a Nikon now, I choose to change because with Nikon, you can put any Nikon Lens on them (with lost of autofocus most of the time but still, I use my father lens from is 70's camera on mine)

So I changed for that reason, Now, go on any classified website (kijiji, Craigslist, Lespac) and look for used lenses, crazy how you can find way more Canon lenses then Nikon, I begin to think I made a mistake...

Jess, let me help you out!

1. Only buy Canon or Nikon, cuz if you are going to get rid of it or upgrade, they keep good values. You also get tons of used lens to buy.

2. Look around your close friends, if most of them have Nikon, go Nikon, if they shoot Canon, go Canon.

3. If no one likes photography around you, go to Lozeau, tell them to show you the Canon XSi and Nikon D3000, see them in your hand, whichever looks cooler for you, buy it!

4. Charge the battery and start whoring out your ride!

Seriously, you can keep this thread for 2 years debating which one is better between Canon and Nikon and you will not get a clear answer.

Back