1958 Buick Special

iron_cannibal

I went o a friends house today and his dad let us take out his 1958 Buick Special. This car was bought off the widow of the original owner and the car is 100% original and has yet to be restored. It currently has 51,000 miles on it. The car came with a 364CI "nailhead" V8 making 250hp and 380 foot-pounds of torque. It has yet to be restored but plans are to get it done within a year or so. I thought this would be something nice to share with everyone.

P6260214.jpg

P6260217.jpg

P6260218.jpg

P6260219-2.jpg

P6260220.jpg

P6260221.jpg

P6260222.jpg

P6260223.jpg

what is there to restore ??

the paint need some love, it has rock chips and there are a couple of dents. the chrome is pitted in some places and the rear bumper has a section that is rusting through that you cant see in the pictures. mechanically the car runs beautifully.

I'm pretty sure that since it has matching numbers, it's worth more in unrestored condition. :dunno:

nice car. They are so big. If I had to choose a car (in that era) I would choose a Fury 1958 (like Christine) or A Suburban 58. Ahh that generation was badass.

58_plymouth_wagon.jpg

nice car. They are so big. If I had to choose a car (in that era) I would choose a Fury 1958 (like Christine) or A Suburban 58. Ahh that generation was badass.

58_plymouth_wagon.jpg

i've looked at a couple of different cars (for dreaming purposes) and i think i'd love to have a '58 Lincoln continental.

1958-lincoln-001-1.jpg

Up until this weekend i had an appreciation for the looks of these old classics but never really saw the point of having one. I would always think to myself,"these cars are so big and slow and must be so boring to drive". After spending a few hours cruising in the buick my mind has completely changed, I understand the passion people have for them now. Cruising along at 50km/h brought such a big smile to my face.

I wouldn't restore that until it truely needed it, at this point it has class and history, if you restore it you can't show and have others appreciate how it made it through that many years without damaging it..

I agree with those saying not to restore it. Keep it as is... looks a lot more real and historic.

This may be a far-fetched example but hey what the hell... say you had the power to take an old WWII photo and make it into a color photo. Sure it would be great but the photo would lose its nostalgic feel. Same with the car. As is, it's 100% real.

I wouldn't restore that until it truely needed it, at this point it has class and history, if you restore it you can't show and have others appreciate how it made it through that many years without damaging it..

it has some damage to it. You cant see it in the pictures but on the driver's side of the rear bumper there's some bad rust and near the driver's side headlamp there's a nasty little dent. None of these things are major and my friend's dad has decided to leave them as is for now untill more things need fixing.

Back