98 RON octane gas recommended for a 997 Turbo

SilverViper

Premium
I posted this in the General Section but I did not really get any convincing answers:

Here is my problem: the owner's manual for my new car specifies that I should use 98 RON-93 AKI gas. This is Porsche's official recommendation. The manual also mentions that 95 RON or 91 AKI can be used if 98 RON 93 AKI gas is not available. Finally, Porsche does not approve any gas containing more than 10% of ethanol. I am in Montreal, what gas should I use?

Petro 94 AKI (99-100 RON)? I have heard that it may contain as much as 15% ethanol, which is not recommended by Porsche (or by any manufacturer anyway). This is really hard to believe though.

Shell V-Power 91 AKI (95 RON)? No ethanol at all ?

Esso 91 AKI (95 RON)?

Ultramar 91 AKI (95 RON)?

The car will not be used on the track. I already use Petro 94 in my BMW race car without any problem by the way.

Just put shell 91 I guess.
And in UK or France, a magazine tested may fuels and some ron95 were exceeding the 98 actually (while some 98 rated barely reached 98).

And with 95ron you can say that it makes you lose power so that it's normal the the chrysler neon makes better lap times than you :D

In europe octain rating is different. That must be a "translation issue".
98 pompe octain is something like 93 in North America.

And only 3 posts... :dunno:

Mr Shoe

Je suppose que le manuel de Porsche utilise le standard MON alors que le standard nord-Américain est le RON.

http://www.torquecars.com/articles/fuel-octane-ratings.php

Je pense que le pourcentage d'éthanol est de 10% MAXIMUM

Non, le standard nord-américain est AKI soit MON + RON /2. Le Petro 94 équivaut à 99 ou 100 RON soit plus que le 98 RON recommandé par Porsche mais j'ai tellement entendu de mauvais commentaires sur le 94 de Petro que je ne sais plus trop si c'est une bonne idée de mettre ça.

FWIW, my ITR that has 325000km on it, hs used Petro 94 all of its life....no issues.... nuff said.

The problem with octane numbers is that the RON test is not stringent enough for performance use, but since the car won't be used on the track, that doesn't really matter unless you want to have fun on the street.

With our gas in NA, it may have a rating of 91 AKI, but that could be with 98 RON and 84 MON, or, 96 RON and 88 MON. The latter will perform better, but if tuned on the latter, and you get the former in your tank, have fun. :)

Back