Drive! My Move From Montreal to Calgary (Pics)

Stirl_ae86

Legacy Member
I was recently offered a new position with my employer that involved me moving to Calgary to work in the western branch. After living around Montreal for 27 years (my whole life), I was ready to get out of Quebec. As beautiful and great as it can be, I personally think that the cons have started to outweigh the pros. The Idea of 5% sales tax, lower income tax, nice roads and less bullshit politics was very appealing to me. Not to mention the fact that the rockies are only and hour's drive west. As more of an outdoors/camping type than a partier/clubber, I feel more at home here. Although it quickly became apparent that I would be missing out on Montreal's vast quantity of gorgeous women, fantastic strip clubs, and just the general pulse that Montreal has...oh well.
I had about 2 weeks to get everything done and go back out permanently after a 3 week trial period in June. The company had offered to ship my car and fly me out, but I insisted that I wanted to drive. I didn't feel safe having my car shipped, and I have always wanted to drive across Canada. Montreal to Calgary would have to do for now.

My parents had also just made a move from Montreal to the Belleville area in Ontario. It was decided that I would drive to thier house in the evening, wednesday July 7th to see their new place, get a good night's sleep and really start my trip the next day. Of course, things never go as planned. My last couple days were completely frantic (due to my own procrastination) tying to sell 2 cars and get everything I owned to work to be shipped out on skids. I ended up giving away most of my furniture, and all of my electronics to a friend. It was 9pm,I should have already been at my parents house which is over a 3 hour drive, and I was still at work trying to figure out how to ship a hardtop without it getting damaged, and my place was still full of stuff. I ended up leaving my place around 2am. I was completely beat, and had only slept about 8 of the pevious 48 hours, but had told myself that I was going to my parents house THAT NIGHT, whatever it took. I filled up and was on my way.

The worst luck of the entire trip struck as soon as I entered Ontario. It stated to rain once I crossed the border, then within 5 minutes of that I came across debris spread all over the highway. I managed to avoid the smaller pieces at first (looked like clothing), but eventually came across a part where it was all across the road. I ran over what looked like a blanket, but sounded like Freddy Kruger taking a few good shots at the underbody of my car. I died a little inside, and prayed everything was ok, keeping a close eye on my gauges. I stopped a few minutes later just to make sure everything was kosher, and there was a big piece of fabric mesh filled with pliers and leather straps that had caught onto one of my exhaust hangers. I unhooked it, and continued on my way.

I arrived at my parents house right around 5am. It felt like shortest 325km drive of my life. Just 3525 to go. I went to sleep around 6am, and woke up at noon. By the time I ate, got my stuff ready and said my goodbyes is was 2:30pm.

Originally, my plan was to do the drive in 3 days. My dad suggested I do a short first day and stop in Sudbury for the first night, since driving around Lake Superior at night is a hazard. This would have meant a 4 day trip. "You're going to end up driving all night, aren't you?..." was one of the last things my dad said to me...I think he knows me better than I know myself.

So.....now that I have no doubt bored you all to death with details, I'll try to keep it brief from here on.

I wish I had kept an actual trip log, and took more pictures. All I kept record of was my fillups, and the date/time on my pics helps me know where I was at what time.

So here we go.

4:56am July 8 2010 Just arrived at my parents' place. I left the hardtop there. I don't know how many chances I will have to coss Canada in a roadster, I sure as hell wasn't doing it with a hardtop on.
picture.php

picture.php

Afternoon, July 8 2010. Somewhere between Oshawa and Sudbury. This was the worst part of the trip, lots of construction and a maximum speed of 80km/h the whole time. I was making bad time as far as I was concerned.
picture.php

I arrived in Sudbury long before sunset, and still had lots of energy. I decided to keep going. Maybe I'd stop in Sault Ste-Marie for the night.

Ok, screw that. Sault Ste-Marie came and went, and I decided that I was indeed going to plow on through the night around the dreaded Lake Superior. Thunder Bay was now my destination, I would get a hotel there in the morning, I thought. As soon as I hit the Lake and saw my first "Beware of Moose" sign, I also hit a wall of fog that didn't let up until sunrise. I did about 70km/h around the whole lake, constantly watching the roadside for crossing animals. A good part of the time, I was holding a handheld spotlight out the roof for exta lighting. I saw about 3 deer and one wolf/coyote. This was the most intense and thrilling leg of the drive.

Lake Superior at night.
picture.php

5:15am, July 9. Almost finished with Lake Superior, just over an hour from Thunder Bay.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

6:26am, July 9. Thunder Bay!
picture.php

After 16 hours of driving, I was ready for a hotel room, or so i thought. I went to about 4 or 5 different places, starting with the hotels, and working my way down the the trashy little mom and pop motels. None of them had a room for me until 11am. Shit. By the time I had gotten food and gas, I had pissed away well over an hour. Thunder Bay left a real bad impression on me... I got back on the highway and decided to keep driving until 11, when I should be able to find a hotel. The problem was, I was crashing. I stopped on a little highway rest "semi-circle", rolled my windows up, put the top up and fell asleep. I had zero natural cover and the sun was already getting strong. I woke up 30 minutes later drenched in sweat and decided that wasn't working and I might as well keep on driving. The 30 minute nap did wonders, and I felt like a new man, ready to keep going.

9:01am EST (10:01 CST), July 9. Entering Central Standard Time Zome
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Kenora. Almost out of Ontario finally! This is our "Trans-Canada Highway"...You don't get to do over 80km/h until you hit Manitoba, then it's 110 all the way.
picture.php

Entering Manitoba. I took some of the pics with a different camera, and don't have the exact times. This must have been around 4pm Friday July 9th. Over 24 hours and counting.
picture.php

As soon as I entered the pairies, I started having hard things bounce off my driver's mirror and into my car. A few hit me in the face and at first I thought they were rocks. Turned out the be some hard-shelled bug. I had to roll my windows up a bit so they didnt end up in the car. I also had a house fly stick to my upper lip. Anyone ever see that episode of Arrested Development where Micheal buys a Corvette, and goes out to lunch with a housefly stuck to his face? Yeah... :squintfin shitfly.

picture.php

8:25pm EST (7:25 Central) Somewhere near Winnipeg... My car started to smell like manure by this time.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

~9:55pm EST (8:55 Central) friday, July9. 1-2 hours past Portage La Prairie. Stop to stretch my legs, enjoy the sunset and prepare for one big, final dash. I knew I would be getting there within a couple hours of sunrise the next morning.
picture.php

picture.php

Blasted through the rest of Manitoba, and then through Saskatchewan. didn't see 5 cars all night. Top down and freezing my ass off again.

Saturday morning, July 10th. Sun is coming up and I have 100 clicks to go!
picture.php

8:43amEST (6:43am Mountain Time) Just outside Calgary.
picture.php

42hours, 3525kms non-stop. Except of course food/gas and the 30 min. nap outside of Thunder Bay. I must admit, the last few hours were NOT EASY. I will probably never try something like this again, but I sure am glad that I did it. It was a bonding experience with my car, and my country.

Total trip, both legs: ~3850kms.
First leg: Pincourt-Belleville. 325kms, 3hrs.
Second leg: Belleville-Calgary. 3525kms, 42 hours.
Fuel Consumed: 262.28 liters
AVG Fuel economy: 6.9l/100km, 34.08mpg.

Last edited:
I don't know you but thanks for sharing man. This was an awesome story. not sure I would do this myself.
Did something similar Iowa/Montreal non stop but it's totally different.

I wish you good luck on your new life. Let us know how it goes!

Very cool man, I hope you enjoy your new chapter in life, I'd love to move somewhere around calgary, Maybe ft mcmurray where my buddy lives... But with no real guaranteed job I'd be taking a major risk.

nice one! It's my style to keep going without stoping when I drive alone...

I just blast music and keep going !

I've done some long drives when I worked as a delivery driver like wake up at 9am, drive around Montreal all day then around 10pm leave for Boston and drop something off and come back to Montreal in a single trip, get home around 10am. I thought I was hardcore.

But after reading this, it changes everything! lol

Impressive.

Good luck.

That's a nice drive.:)

A friend of mine left friday around lunch time from montreal to be at work at 7am tomorrow morning in vancouver. lol

Did you consider going south of lake superior at all?

Thanks for the nice comments and best wishes guys. It was definitely an experience that I will remember for the rest of my life.

WOW. And you did all that alone? *tu*
Yup, just me, my car and the road. And possibly a guardian angel, cuz I think I was lucky to have had everything go as smoothly as it did. The endless Tim Hortons and a few 5 Hour Energy shots helped too.

I'd love to move somewhere around calgary, Maybe ft mcmurray where my buddy lives...
I was even considering Fort Mac before this opportunity fell in my lap. Good money, if you're willing to work hard. They're always hiring...

I just blast music and keep going !
The Music definitely helped! Here was my playlist on my MP3 player. I cycled through it a few times, and put in CD's when I needed something heavy. I mostly tried to pick good driving songs, but a few sappy songs made it in there as well which also fit the scenario.
Alice in Chains- Check my Brain
Alice in Chains- Rooster
Beach Boys- Little Deuce Coupe
Beatles- Rocky Racoon
Beatles- Black Bird
Beatles- Nowhere Man
Beatles- I Want You (She's so Heavy)
Billy Joel- I'm Moving Out
Soul Asylum- Runaway Train
Bob Dylan- All Along the Watchtower
Bob Dylan- Like a Rolling Stone
Bob Dylan- Rainy Day Women 12 and 35
Bob Dylan- Times They are a Changin'
Bob Seger- Turn the Page
Brownsville Station- Smokin in the Boys Room
BTO- Roll on Down the Highway
Cage The Elephant- Aint no rest for the wicked
Cage The Elephant- Back Against the Wall
CCR- Born on the Bayou
CCR- Lookin out My Backdoor
CCR- have you Ever seen the Rain
Coolio- Gangsta's Paradise (Flashback song)
Counting Crows- Hangin Around
Counting Crows- Mr. Jones
Counting Crows- Round Here
Crash Kings- Mountain Man
Custom- Hey Mister (Flashback song)
David Bowie- Space Oddity
David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust
David Bowie- Changes
Days of the New- Touch Peel and Stand
Deep Purple- Highway Star
Fastball- The Way
Filter- The Best Things
Five Man Electrical Band- Signs
Five Man Electrical Band- I'm a Stranger Here
Fleetwood Mac- Hypnotized
Fleetwood Mac- Tusk Live
Foghat- SlowRide
G. Love and Special Sauce- My Baby's got Sauce
G. Love and Special Sauce w. jack johnson- Rodeo Clowns
Golden Earring- Radar Love
Goldfinger- Here in Your bedroom
Green Day- Hitchin a Ride
Sugar Hill Gang- Rapper's Delight
Jack Johnson- If I had Eyes
Jimmy Hendrix- Voodoo Child
Jimmy Hendrix- Angel
Jimmy Hendrix- Purple Haze
Joe Walsh- Rocky Mountain Way
John Lennon- Mind Games
Johnny Cash- I've been Everywhere
Johnny Cash- Ring of Fire
Journey- Don't Stop Believing
Journey- Separate Ways
Kansas- Dust in the Wind
Kiss- Hard Luck Woman
Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven
Led Zeppelin- Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Led Zeppelin- Four Sticks
Led Zeppelin- Kashmir
Led Zeppelin- Ramble On
Led Zeppelin- Dazed and Confused
Led Zeppelin- Good Time Bad Times
Led Zeppelin- When the Levee Breaks
Led Zeppelin- The Battle of Evermore
Limp Bizkit- My Way
George Baker Selection- Little Green Bag
Loverboy- Turn me Loose
Lynard Skynard- Tuesday's Gone
Lynard Skynard- Simple Man
Lynard Skynard- Free Bird
Lynard Skynard- That Smell
Marilyn Manson- Seizure of Power
Marilyn Manson- I put a Spell on You
Metallica- Turn the Page
Moody Blues- Nights in White Satin
Moody Blues- I'm Just a Singer
Moody Blues- Tusaday Afternoon
Neil Young- Cinnamon Girl
Neil Young- The Needle and the Damage Done
Neverending White Lights- The Grace
Norman Greenbaum- Spirit in the Sky
Stampeders- Wild Eyes
Steeler's Wheel- Stuck in the Middle
Our Lady Peace- I Loved You all Along
Paper Tongues- Ride to California
Simon and Garfunkel- I am a Rock
Pavement- Shady Lane
Pearl Jam- Love Reign O'er Me
Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb
Pink Floyd- Hey You
Pink Floyd- Learning to Fly
Pink Floyd- Welcome to the Machine
Placebo- Pure Morning
Primus- Have a Cigar
Procal Harem- Conquistdor
Procal Harem- A Whiter Shade of Pale
Prodigy- Poison
Prodigy- Voodoo People
Pursuit of Happiness- I'm an Adult Now
Pursuit of Happiness- Hard to Laugh
Queen- Fat Bottom Girls
Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody
Queens of the Stoneage- Go With the Flow
Rednex- Cottom Eye Joe (Flashback)
Reel Big Fish- Take on Me
Refused- New Noise
Rolling Stones- Cocaine Eyes
Rolling Stones- Gimme Shelter
Screaming Jay Hawkins- I Put a Spell on You
Semisonic- Closing Time
Sisters of Mercy- Lucretia my Reflection
Spose- I'm Awesome
Stabbing Westward- Save Yourself
Steppenwolf- Born to be Wild
Steppenwolf- Don't Bogart that Joint
Steppenwolf- Magic Carpet Ride
Steppenwolf- Pusher Man
Stevie Ray Vaughn- Voodoo Chile
Sublime- Caress me Down
Sublime- Santeria
Sublime- Smoke Two Joints
Sublime- Summertime
Sublime- What I got
Ten Years After- I'd Love to Change the World
Toxic Airborne Event- Sometime Around Midnight
The Band- The Night they Drove Ol' Dixie Down
The Cars- Let's go
The Eagles- Hotel California
The Eagles- Take it Easy
The Guess Who- American Woman
The Guess Who- She's Come Undone
The Guess Who- These Eyes
The Hollies- Long Cool Woman
The Rivieras- California Sun
The Tragically Hip- My Music at Work
The Tragically Hip- Bobcaygeon
The Tragically Hip- Nautical Disaster
Thin Lizzy- The Boys are Back in Town
Tom Petty- Free Fallin
Trick Daddy and Cee Lo: Dro in The Wind
Tupac & Dr Dre- California Love
Uriah Heap- Easy Livin
Van Halen- Beautiful Girls
Vanilla Fudge- You Keep me Hangin on
Wall of Voodoo- Mexican Radio
White Snake- Here I go Again on my Own
Wintersleep- Weighty Ghost

Did you consider going south of lake superior at all?
I don't have a passport, otherwise I would have considered it. Although I'm glad I took the long slow way around Ontario. A lot of people consider it a pain in the ass, but I'm glad I did it at least once.

Thats an incredible trip.

I like that parachute thing on the 3rd to last picture. Did anybody else notice it?

Very Nice , takes guts to do that! Leave everything and just go!

I remember i did 24hour straight drive From montreal to florida , me and 2 friends that didn't know how to drive manual :(

lollll and i remember at about 22h of drive i just coudn't take it anymore ! i stopped at a rest area and felt asleep for 30 mins! MANNN was i ready to ride again after that 30 mins of sleep!! It was so good lollllllllllllllll so i understand you!

Have a fun life there and good luck!

We hope you stay on Montrealracing and don't join the Calgaryracing!
lolll

:bigup:

take care.

Definitely something I will be doing at some point...

nicely done good sir. MR needs more stories like this of members actually pursuing a love for driving and not just arguing about stanced cars.

Back