Ara's 09' Acura TL j-pipe fabrication

RAWTEK

Shop Representative
Ara came to see us to squeeze some more power out of his 09 Acura TL 3.7L. A good way to get a few hp out of these cars is to replace the restrictive OEM j-pipes with something that flows a little better. As you can see from the pics, the rear downpipe meets the exhaust at a right angle, creating restriction and turbulence. We are going to build a j-pipe with a smooth flow, joining into a Y-pipe, then into a turboflex flexpipe into the factory exhaust system. Many TL owners claim to see up to a 14hp increase by replacing the OEM j pipe and secondary catalyst with a less restrictive aftermarket unit.

The criteria

- It had to remain factory quiet (easy since the car is still running two cats, resonator, and muffler)

- The system has to be easy to remove. This means the system has to bolt onto the factory manifold and exhaust flanges. Since the Acura TL doesn't have standard flanges, we will have to measure, design and cut the flanges out of 3/8 Stainless Steel on our milling machine.

- A test pipe will be made so the second catalyst can be deleted when desired.

Here we go, I'll update the fabrication process as the day goes by, it should be done by noon tomorrow!

IMG_0540.jpg

Factory system:
IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Measuring OEM flanges:
IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

Cutting process:
IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

One down, four more to go!
IMG_0538.jpg

:bigup:

i hope it cools down enough for me to enjoy the car with no a/c so i can actually hear the new piping :run:

So j pipe+ test pipe= still a nice luxury cruiser, i'm very happy that when the car is in normal driving mode, you hardly can tell any changes in sound from inside the cabin.

There is a cool little growl coming from the exhaust now, that wasnt there before.

Today is as hot and humid as it gets so A/C on full blast, didn't drive much with windows down as it's too hot. But from what i can tell, there is a slight increase in growl. I'll know more as weather cools down and i drive with no noise coming from my a/c vents or music.

Driving the car in sport mode with paddles right away, 1st gear want to bang on reg limiter lol, it just rips through the gear. The car revs easier and freer while in neutral.

That damn power dip at 4-4500 rpms is there in 3rd gear, drives me nuts. Passing power on the highway in the upper rpms is changed nicely.

like top of 2nd gear, car revs much quicker.

i doubt ecu has adapted, and with this crappy muggy weather i doubt i'm feeling everything, it's a work of art. No smells from having no cat. I'm very happy right now

i had the opportunity to redline 3rd and get into fourth gear and it seems that after the ecu recalibrated that the dip in the power band between 4 and 4.5k rpms is gone. I have to double check, but the car pulled very hard up top, was surprised.

Loving it.

:bigup:

i hope it cools down enough for me to enjoy the car with no a/c so i can actually hear the new piping :run:

So j pipe+ test pipe= still a nice luxury cruiser, i'm very happy that when the car is in normal driving mode, you hardly can tell any changes in sound from inside the cabin.

There is a cool little growl coming from the exhaust now, that wasnt there before.

Today is as hot and humid as it gets so A/C on full blast, didn't drive much with windows down as it's too hot. But from what i can tell, there is a slight increase in growl. I'll know more as weather cools down and i drive with no noise coming from my a/c vents or music.

Driving the car in sport mode with paddles right away, 1st gear want to bang on reg limiter lol, it just rips through the gear. The car revs easier and freer while in neutral.

That damn power dip at 4-4500 rpms is there in 3rd gear, drives me nuts. Passing power on the highway in the upper rpms is changed nicely.

like top of 2nd gear, car revs much quicker.

i doubt ecu has adapted, and with this crappy muggy weather i doubt i'm feeling everything, it's a work of art. No smells from having no cat. I'm very happy right now

Do you have an aftermarket intake?

Probably related to the short and long runners switch..?

i'm stock engine wise, only exhaust mods so far. Once a proper tested intake comes out ill be all over it, but i think the dip is gone, i will try again tonight and see. :bigup:

You can't just roll down the window to check the exhaust sound? Why does it have to be cold out? lol

Back