what could make an alternator die!!!

bigsmokes

the problem i'm having with my car is that the alternator doesn't charge the battery anymore,I already had this problem in the past and recently changed it not even 6 months ago with a brand new one and started giving me the same problem again after i just fixed the transmission on my car and spent 1100$ and as soon as i went to pick it up from the garage this problem came again
so my question is what can fuck up an alternator?

Do you have a multi-meter?
You need to check what your alternator is charing at.
Let your car run, and test your battery. Anything over 14 volts is too much, meaning an electrical problem. Could be corroded wires, could be a defective alternator (rebuilds dont always work 100%)

Do you have a multi-meter?
You need to check what your alternator is charing at.
Let your car run, and test your battery. Anything over 14 volts is too much, meaning an electrical problem. Could be corroded wires, could be a defective alternator (rebuilds dont always work 100%)

well when i had to drive my car back from the garage the first time it died out right away then i gave it a boost with my dads car the car ran for 5min then died again so i boost again and drove it home since then i tried to boost it but as soon as i remove the cables the car dies in less than 1minute but i pay attention to volt meter when i boost it its at 12volt and then starts to drop very quickly

Make sure you have the main (red) lead going from the alternator to the battery, and that its in good condition. also make sure that the smaller line is still attached firmly to the alternator housing, and clean as well.

the voltage regulator is usually what goes on the alternator ... depending what car you own you can usually buy just the regulator ... if not your alternator should be under warranty if its only 6 months old

Check the ground, maybe the shop left it loose or off, happened to my crown vic, the shop did a motor swap but left the ground loose only a year later did a problem come up and it seemed like a dead alt. It's a Volkswagen, always check the grounds.

on the top left bolt of the tranny housing there is a tranny bolt with a small stud this is where the main engine-battery ground is make sure that this ground is there and well connected.

if looking front the driver side fender..top left of tranny under the water flange

the voltage regulator is usually what goes on the alternator ... depending what car you own you can usually buy just the regulator ... if not your alternator should be under warranty if its only 6 months old

i drive an a4 98 2.8 and yeah it is but don't really want to pay for the labour to change it it would cost me 400$ which makes no sense

Back