Performance mods for E46 330i (M54B30)

Rennport996

Legacy Member
I deceided to keep my car for the winter and tune it up for the next season.

I was wondering if those engines are worth investing into performance mods to gain power or I should keep my money and eventually buy a faster car..

What's available that would give more power for a moderate amount of money ?? (no turbos or SC..)

cams, chips etc? would that bring me a significant difference?

thanks and sorry for the noobish question!

Headers is the only affordable mod that will give you a decent amount of power (if you don't mind running catless or adding high-flow cats further down since they are built in to the header). You can combine that with intake and exhaust but on their own those do almost nothing. Cams add some power but not worth the $$, chip does next to nothing.

yes I saw that the cats are built into the headers..
I guess going catless is going to bring very brutal sound!

If I go for intake/headers does it make sense to keep the rest of the exhaust or it's too restrictive? Should I go and replace the whole line ?

Only thing I would do is custom exhaust (see Agtronic) and Shark it... I wouldn't waste my money on anything else.
Have any pics with your nice wheels? :eek:

No i didnt take any good pics but the car looks really nice!!

If i get a custom system done i still have to get headers right?

If I were you I'd keep my money and eventually buy a faster car.

Otherwise, there are still a few things you can do to make the car faster:

- chip
- intake
- exhaust
- headers
- pulleys
- electric fan

You can also swap your differential for a shorter one from an automatic E46. I think the 330 has a 3.15, you could put a 3.46. Or get an LSD with a short ratio.

Last thing is weight reduction. Start with lightweight wheels, that's what you'll feel first. Then there are all kinds of carbon fiber parts (hood, roof, doors, fenders, trunk, ...). And you can gut the interior and trunk, get lightweight bucket seats, ...

yes I saw that the cats are built into the headers..
I guess going catless is going to bring very brutal sound!

If I go for intake/headers does it make sense to keep the rest of the exhaust or it's too restrictive? Should I go and replace the whole line ?

If i get a custom system done i still have to get headers right?

Our exhaust isn't that restrictive of a design si I don't think it would be a big issue

And yeah exhaust and headers are seperate getting a custom exhaust doesn't do the same thing

thanks for all the info!!

With a lil research I think it's possible to upgrade the car for a reasonable amount of money.

Chip is 300$, intake 200$. The rest is more.. Headers = 1000$

sounds like a cool project for a noob

if you want to know more about e46 go on e46fanatics.com it has the answer to all your e46 needs. Am currently in the same situation as you debating between a faster car or modding this one. So far from what i heard Ebay headers ( 150 $) Shark (300$) intake ( 200 - 300 ) is really all you need for noticeable HP gain don't expect to beat a M3 but you will feel a difference from what i read on E46fanatics,for exhaust i heard on 330 it isn't that bad stock and you don't really need to change it. As for Carbon Fiber parts... Its really hard to find something that gives you that OEM fitment. If you planning on putting CF parts i say go for something with high quality and good finish like Vorsteiner.

not worth it man .. put a cone air intake for the sound and that`s it ...

if the 330 does not excite you ... it wont modded either ... get an m3 ...

if you want to know more about e46 go on e46fanatics.com it has the answer to all your e46 needs. Am currently in the same situation as you debating between a faster car or modding this one. So far from what i heard Ebay headers ( 150 $) Shark (300$) intake ( 200 - 300 ) is really all you need for noticeable HP gain don't expect to beat a M3 but you will feel a difference from what i read on E46fanatics,for exhaust i heard on 330 it isn't that bad stock and you don't really need to change it. As for Carbon Fiber parts... Its really hard to find something that gives you that OEM fitment. If you planning on putting CF parts i say go for something with high quality and good finish like Vorsteiner.

I've done a bit a research there and that's pretty much what I'm gonna do over the winter.

The gain is minimal but I think it's worth the 1000$.. Most of this is pretty much bolt-on and it will give the car a little more agressive feeling.

I heard the shark improves the throttle response, something that I found kinda dull on those cars.

I'm not expecting to even come close to an M3! I just like my rides like I like my women, clean and tight and be able to deliver performance when I need it. LOL

yeah so far i only put a CAI from K&N but this winter am goin to get myself some headers and exhaust am debating between Active autowerks Gen3 or Remus, also am gonna get the Shark. I got alot of positive feed back from the Shark over other softhware upgrades like Dinan.

Have an AA SC in stock.
The E46 can be allot of fun both on the track and on the street. And there is allot you can do to it. as far as power goes, Ebay headers were mentioned and I have to say that they do make good power. Around 20 WHP on your motor. But they fit like shit. Supersprint or Fabspeed might offer headers for your car as well as active, but they will be much more money.
A simple fun setup on these cars is Software and intake and run 94 in there. Some good tires and the car is a blast. Suspension tweeks can add to the fun as well.
If you need any more ideas you can always call me up and I can give you my opinions and share my experiences with you on these cars.

Back