track helmet standards

BBQMAN

Shop Representative
Even though ASE lapping is not an affiliated club, we will follow these rules for our events and expect all other clubs to do so.

We will also be more severe with non conforming helmets. If you are a lapping member, and are not sure if your helmet is good, see me at the store BEFORE the start of the season.
We will not allow any drivers and passengers not conforming to these norms.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A8EE0C152AEF7782C12576EB00592DC5/$FILE/L25_standards_for_helmets.pdf

http://asncanada.com/ASN_Solosport/ASN_Solosport_Bulletin_2010-3_Helmet Standards.pdf

SoloSprint/Time Attack:
1.0.3 & 1.1.4 Helmets: Replace the present wording in 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 with the following:
1.0.3 Helmets meeting the following FIA standards are approved for use for all
vehicles in all classes (except as provided for in 1.0.4 below):
FIA 8860-2004;
Snell 2010 SA, Snell 2010 SAH or Snell 2010 M
Snell 2005 SA or Snell 2005 M
Snell 2000 SA or Snell 2000 M (both expire Dec. 31, 2014)
SFI Foundation 31.1A, 31.2A or 31.1/2005
British Standards Institution BS 6658-85 type A/FR (expires 10 years from manufacturede date)

1.0.4 Snell 2010 M, 2005 M or 2000 M rated helmets are not acceptable for vehicles
equipped with a roll cage or where the vehicle is classified as Modified. These drivers
require a helmet which meets one of the FIA, Snell SA, Snell SAH, SFI or BSI
standards listed above.

Lapping:
16.2 & 16.3 Helmets: Replace the present wording in 16.2 and 16.3 with the following:
16.2 Helmets meeting the following FIA standards are approved for use in Lapping:
FIA 8860-2004;
Snell 2010 SA or Snell 2010 SAH
Snell 2010 M, Snell 2010 K
Snell 2005 SA, Snell 2005 M or Snell 2005 K
Snell 2000 SA, Snell 2000 M or Snell 2000 K (all expire Dec. 31, 2014)
SFI Foundation 31.1A, 31.2A or 31.1/2005
British Standards Institution BS 6658-85 type A/FR (expires Dec. 31, 2013)
16.3 Snell 2010M, 2005 M or 2000 M rated helmets are not acceptable for vehicles
equipped with a roll cage or where the vehicle is classified as Modified. These drivers
require a helmet which meets one of the FIA, Snell SA, Snell SAH, SFI or BSI
standards listed above.

Last edited:
Sooooo no random old bike helmet with a DOT sticker on the back?

Damn the list just keep growin:cry:

Sa2010

FYI, the first batch of HJC Motorsport SA2010 helmets have arrived in stock.

Just so that everyone is aware,

SNELL SA and M 2000 will be the minimum required for ASE/AISA dates in 2011. If you do not have one, its time to upgrade.

If you have specific questions about homologation dates or standards, call us or drop by the store with your current helmet.

Cheers!!

I am surprised that ASN still accepts SA2000 and M2000 in 2011.
These are the ones that are now outdated this year and not accepted anymore by many clubs. The current standard is SA2005 or M2005 as far as I know.
An SA/M2000 helmet could well be 10 year old. ;-(

I am not surprised because ASN is following FIA's lead.
Many club's may invent their own versions of the FIA standard, but as far as I know, SCCA which is the majority of clubs in NA is following FIA.
In fact SA2000 will be good until the end of 2014.

I have a question regarding helmet standards.
At a NJMP event I was told that NJ requires from now on Snell 2010 helmets ?! What a f.. rule ?
So I ordered in a rush a helmet from NJMP's speedshop (Driving Impressions) that I never got ...
At the tech inspection, the guy was laughing of me ... He sad that no such rule is enforced.
Master Card has just fixed the case of Driving Impressions.

Have you guys seen US tracks where even 2005 helmet would be phased out such as this year ?
I know that some US tracks and clubs will not accept SNELL 2000 helmets after this year.

Last edited:
NJMP requires Full face Snell helmetsa s per NJ racetrack safety act. The guy who spoke to you was misinformed or misunderstood.
They do not allow open face helmets.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/racing_regulations.pdf

All drivers shall wear a properly secured, full facehelmet, with face shield, which meets or exceeds Snell
Memorial Foundation Testing Standards M or SA, incorporated
by reference herein, as may be amended and supplemented,
which has not reached the expiration date established by the
Snell Memorial Foundation at the time of the event. The
standards are available from the Snell Memorial Foundation,
3628 Madison Avenue, Suite 11, North Highlands, CA 95660.
A Nomex, or similar fire-resistant head sock is recommended to
be worn in conjunction with the use of the full face helmet with
shield. The use of open face helmets and goggles shall be
prohibited.

Thanks a lot for your help Carl ! It is very appreciated.

Yes the full face is required in NJ. I knew that but I was the feature of a bad jack ass movie at NJMP :(

The track is nice but their business practice in NJ is not honest .

I hope to get a chance one day to make it to NJMP, but right now its not in the cards.

Below you will find a list of rule changes that were approved at the CARS AGM this month. An official bulletin will be posted on the CARS web site in both English and French.

Also please note that the 2012 CARS rule book has been reworked for ease of locating rules. Some numbers have been changed but the rules have not, unless approved by the CARS board.

Ray Felice
CARS VP and RSO Director

Rule Change #5 BSI Helmet Specifications (Effective Immediately)

Premise: The board approve an extension to the expiry date of British Standards Institution BS6685-85.

11.1.6.c Reword to: “British Standards Institution BS 6658-85 type A/FR helmets must be within 10 years of the date of manufacture and the original manufacturer’s production date sticker must be permanently affixed to the helmet. Any helmets certified to BS6658-85 type A/FR that do not have a production date sticker will expire on December 31, 2013.

Good news for those who still have or want to buy BSI helmets.

C'est juste pour le lapping events de MR ca ou toujours? Paske la saison derniere a ASE j'ai plusieurs amis qui sont aller faire du lapping avec des vieux casque qui avait juste un collant DOT sur le casque.(Pas de Snell, pas rien...meme j'ai vue plusieurs personnes avec des casques ouverts de motocross!) Meme chose pour Sanair. J'aimerais bien savoir avant de commencer la saison 2012...

C'est juste pour le lapping events de MR ca ou toujours? Paske la saison derniere a ASE j'ai plusieurs amis qui sont aller faire du lapping avec des vieux casque qui avait juste un collant DOT sur le casque.(Pas de Snell, pas rien...meme j'ai vue plusieurs personnes avec des casques ouverts de motocross!) Meme chose pour Sanair. J'aimerais bien savoir avant de commencer la saison 2012...

These are the standards for all clubs that are affiliated in some way to FIA rule book. Every track rents to different groups and yes there are groups out there that don't put safety as a priority and allow anything.
If you show up at ASE for Monday night events- this is the standard we enforce.

Even if some clubs may not enforce these rules I recommend anyone in this forum to follow them, no matter where they run. These rules were created with your personal safety in mind. Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Carl, is there anything else that is new on the rulebook front and helmets for 2012 (that is, except for the BSI rule mentioned above)?

Snell rating for helmets

I have a hjc cl-15 for my snowmobile.It's snell and dot approved but can i lap with this helmet?Because there is no snell rating written on the helmet?

There will be a sticker on the inside of the helmet, behind the padding on some helments. It should be easily visable.

The sticker will be either Brown (M Certification), Orange (SA certification) or Blue (K Certification), along with type and Year... EG: SA2010, SA2005, M2005, M2010, etc.

SA is designed for mutliple impacts; and is recommended if you are driving inside an automotible. A motorcycle helmet is designed for 1 impact, with the premise being; you only will fall off the bike once.

When strapped inside of a car you can hit your head multiple times. If you drive a vehicle with a roll cage; you MUST use a Snell SA helmet for that reason.

Just a quick reminder for all those who lap with us and other clubs, that SNELL 2000 standard will no longer be accepted in 2013.

The standards that you must comply with to be legal anywhere you lap is SNELL SA or M 2005 or newer. You still need a SA helmet for cars equipped with roll bars and cages.

While I am fully aware that FIA still has 2000s as eligible until end 2014 and that ASN has copy pasted this standard, we feel that following in line with the most popular car clubs that have adopted Snell 2005 as the minimum for track days- we are preparing our members for events in any club.
The last thing you want is to drive to a PCA event or other and have your helmet refused. In any case, most Snell 2000 helmets are 8+ years old and could use a refresh.

If you need more info, please feel free to call the experts at Perry Performance and Competition.

Last edited:
Back