Forced Induction Supercharger vs. Turbo

TheRealDeal

Good Day Members,

I have a 2003 E46 M3 and I'm thinking of going F/I but I'm wondering if I should go with an Active Autowerke Supercharger kit or a Horsepower Freaks Turbo. What do you think? This is my daily driver.

Good Day Members,

I have a 2003 E46 M3 and I'm thinking of going F/I but I'm wondering if I should go with an Active Autowerke Supercharger kit or a Horsepower Freaks Turbo. What do you think? This is my daily driver.

It depends on your budget and the HP target you are looking for.

Also, do you want to buy something new or used? Cause you won't see a lot of HPF kit for sale used.

If you choose to go supercharger, i would go with the Active Autowerke Gen 6 Supercharger Kit stage 1 with the "new" HKS blower. I would not buy the prima kit, an intercooler is a must IMO.

If you think about AA stage 2, i would pay the extra $$$$ and go for a HPF Stage 1:devil:

If you need a shop to buy or install the kit, VAG Motorsport can do it for you:bigup:

HPF... but....

if we ever have emissions inspection , you're screwed... HPF use a piggyback, and AA supercharged tweak the OEM DME...

VF Charger kits have poor software and notoriously poor vf after sale service so stay away.

AA service is awesome and so is their kit, the rotrex blower have a much shorter life expectancy than the HKS though.

HPF service is the bomb, their kit is awesome but they are much pricier. It is however the only one I would consider for a street car.

The supercharged cars, the power comes on so smoothly and in a stockish way ( good for a track car) that by seat of the pants they barely feel faster. The HPF cars will scare you especially stg 2 and up.

Having installed supercharger kits however I must say install is MUCH easier (a joke). So factor that in too if you are going to do it yourself.

Non-intercooled as needstocometakeabeerwithme Gtfour said are a big nono.

VF Charger kits have poor software and notoriously poor vf after sale service so stay away.

AA service is awesome and so is their kit, the rotrex blower have a much shorter life expectancy than the HKS though.

HPF service is the bomb, their kit is awesome but they are much pricier. It is however the only one I would consider for a street car.

The supercharged cars, the power comes on so smoothly and in a stockish way ( good for a track car) that by seat of the pants they barely feel faster. The HPF cars will scare you especially stg 2 and up.

Having installed supercharger kits however I must say install is MUCH easier (a joke). So factor that in too if you are going to do it yourself.

Non-intercooled as needstocometakeabeerwithme Gtfour said are a big nono.

How do s/c m3 w/ big power or hpf stg 2+ cars hold up to the beating I never see any other mods than upgraded clutch/flywheel on 6spds and smg's seem to go untouched? The gearset holds 600whp+ no problem at all?

HPF... but....

if we ever have emissions inspection , you're screwed... HPF use a piggyback, and AA supercharged tweak the OEM DME...

this guy tuned my the dme on my 318T
midnight.jpg

http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3012&start=0

i'm happy :bigup: people are aparently passing ontario emissions

How do s/c m3 w/ big power or hpf stg 2+ cars hold up to the beating I never see any other mods than upgraded clutch/flywheel on 6spds and smg's seem to go untouched? The gearset holds 600whp+ no problem at all?

no way a SC would keep against a hpf stage 2...

AA gen6 stage 2 - 520WHP 370WTQ

4742252767_c26c3c7015_z.jpg

HPF - stage 2 - 629-468 - race fuel - 580-420 - 91 with meth

Stage2.gif

Code:
this guy tuned my the dme on my 318T

http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/...t=3012&start=0

i'm happy people are aparently passing ontario emissions

I don't know any tuner that do good tuning for E46 M3... (VF tuning su(k )
you can contact NickG from Technique Tuning, at a time I heard he wanted to do something for E46 M3 with stock DME... but never heard back... he did a kit for E46 325-330... http://techniquetuning.com/e46zhpman.html

Thanks for the obvious conclusions a SC M3 does not pull on a HPF stg 2+ m3 but what I was asking was...

Every HPF car that I have read about or seen saw, 3 in person (1 in toronto, 2 in the us at meets) are absolutely untouched when it comes to tranny mods.

For 6spd cars I have only seen upgraded clutch/flywheel, Smg cars seem to go untouched.

So what just throw as much hp/tq as you can at a stock gearset? Seems like it wouldn't hold the abuse that well with 600whp+ numbers.

Thanks for the obvious conclusions a SC M3 does not pull on a HPF stg 2+ m3 but what I was asking was...

Every HPF car that I have read about or seen saw, 3 in person (1 in toronto, 2 in the us at meets) are absolutely untouched when it comes to tranny mods.

For 6spd cars I have only seen upgraded clutch/flywheel, Smg cars seem to go untouched.

So what just throw as much hp/tq as you can at a stock gearset? Seems like it wouldn't hold the abuse that well with 600whp+ numbers.

You only need a clutch... The transmission should hold no problem...

6 speed and SMG share the same transmission, pressure plate, clutch and flywheel...

It's the same gearbox but SMG use an electronic clutch slave and shifter assy.

I'm thinking about an AA SC for my track car for 2011 now that i have a new engine:devil:

6 speed and SMG share the same transmission, pressure plate, clutch and flywheel...

It's the same gearbox but SMG use an electronic clutch slave and shifter assy.

I'm thinking about an AA SC for my track car for 2011 now that i have a new engine:devil:

I was aware, I just didn't think that the car would hold up 600whp+ very well that's all. Didn't think the axles/hubs/gears/diff could hold it but it seems to be no issue? Extremely suprising

I'm in the market for 01-02 Z4 M coupe that I would like to HPF on day and that sounds extremely promising :D I thought for sure youd have to get a new billet trans cover/upgraded gears for those power levells apparently not :D

Last edited:
I'm in the market for 01-02 Z4 M coupe that I would like to HPF on day and that sounds extremely promising :D I thought for sure youd have to get a new billet trans cover/upgraded gears for those power levells apparently not :D

if I remember correctly, there was a thread about M Z4 and HPF kit, and you can't install it to MZ4 because it's not the same DME..

just took a look,

E46 M3: 01 RMFD Basic control unit DME MSS54/ FLASH 1 12147837806 $1,186.02
E86 Z4 3.2: 01 RMFD Basic control unit DME MSS70 1 12147840473 $1,186.02

Why supercharge an e46 M3? Waste of money. Just get an Audi RS4. It has a much better torque and power curve than the BMW. I drove both, back-to-back, at Tremblant. The Audi seems to have double the torque of the M3. I would pick an Audi RS4 anytime over an e46 M3.

Why supercharge an e46 M3? Waste of money. Just get an Audi RS4. It has a much better torque and power curve than the BMW. I drove both, back-to-back, at Tremblant. The Audi seems to have double the torque of the M3. I would pick an Audi RS4 anytime over an e46 M3.

Get the new Mustang GT 2011, it's as fast as the e92 m3 and way cheaper:dunno:

E46 m3 with basic bolt-on will easily keep up/pass an RS4. Not to mention carbon build up issues on the v8 wich drops the power even more. From personnal experience on the dyno, the rs4s always putted the same power as stock e46 m3s.

And the m3 has much more potential, is more reliable and cheaper. And I'm not even factoring the driving fun in there...

Back