Hilarious - New York child sued for woman's death after bike crash

boxcarracer

A New York child can be sued for crashing a bicycle into an elderly pedestrian and causing injuries that led to her death, a judge has ruled.

Juliet Breitman and another child were four years old when they raced their small bicycles on a Manhattan street and ran into Claire Menagh, 87.

Juliet's lawyer had argued Juliet was too young to be held negligent.

The judge disagreed, ruling Juliet's lawyer had presented no evidence she lacked intelligence or maturity.

According to court filings, in April 2009, Juliet Breitman and Jacob Kohn were accompanied by their mothers, Dana Breitman and Rachel Kohn, as they raced their bicycles along the pavement near the East River in New York's Manhattan borough.

'No bright line'

The children struck Ms Menagh, knocking her to the ground. She underwent surgery for a fractured hip and died three months later.

Ms Menagh - and later her son, acting as executor of her estate - sued the children, arguing they were "negligent in their operation and control of their bicycles". The estate also sued Dana Breitman and Rachel Kohn, saying they had consented to the race.

Juliet's lawyer sought to have the case dismissed, filing with the court a copy of Juliet's birth certificate showing she was four years and nine months old at the time of the accident.

Citing several cases involving young children who had been in accidents, New York Supreme Court Judge Paul Wooten ruled that Juliet, now six years old, could be sued.

While he noted that the law presumes children under age four are incapable of negligence, "for infants above the age of four, there is no bright line rule", he wrote in the decision.

He also wrote that the Juliet's lawyer had presented no evidence as to the child's lack of intelligence or maturity, nor that "a child of similar age and capacity" would not have understood the danger of riding a bicycle into an old woman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11657376

That's actually very interesting!

But... were they racing along a bike path or a sidewalk? Because that can make all the difference...

A tough one?? interesting?? A few of you, including the judge, could benefit from a few childhood psychology readings.... Heck, I could defend this kid in court and win.

that is fucking insane .... 4 years old dont even know whats what ... sorry for the old lady having a shit doctor ... i bet the operation caused an infection in her hip causing her to die ... this womans son should get a smack in the mouth

intelligence and maturity... at 4 yo... WHAT a JUDGMENT!!

How about the neligence of the old lady who didn't saw it coming?

Are we going to prohibit youth? This is completely insane to me!

A tough one?? interesting?? A few of you, including the judge, could benefit from a few childhood psychology readings.... Heck, I could defend this kid in court and win.

You probably could. But you'd have to learn to read and formulate arguments first.

Judges are there to preside over hearings and hand out verdicts that coincide with the law. The law states that children under the age of 4 years are incapable of negligence. The child was almost 5 years old. Therefore, the child could be sued. And what did the judge say? Exactly that.

You probably could. But you'd have to learn to read and formulate arguments first.

Judges are there to preside over hearings and hand out verdicts that coincide with the law. The law states that children under the age of 4 years are incapable of negligence. The child was almost 5 years old. Therefore, the child could be sued. And what did the judge say? Exactly that.

But kids aren't able to judge the consequences of their actions until about 7 years old. If you can't put cause and effect together (and your a kid) then you shouldn't be held accountable for your actions. Also this was a bike race not a street race, there is no law saying you can't race your bigwheel on a sidewalk. Sad situation but would have ruled this an accident and no law suit. That judge failed epicly.

But kids aren't able to judge the consequences of their actions until about 7 years old. If you can't put cause and effect together (and your a kid) then you shouldn't be held accountable for your actions. Also this was a bike race not a street race, there is no law saying you can't race your bigwheel on a sidewalk. Sad situation but would have ruled this an accident and no law suit. That judge failed epicly.

According to the law, a child over 4 years old COULD be held accountable for negligence.

And how did the judge fail epically?

The parents should be held responsible.

Who lets their child race their bike and run into people? Especially when there are old people around.

The parents should be held responsible.

Who lets their child race their bike and run into people? Especially when there are old people around.

That's what it will come down to.

Before all the smart people here on MR start bashing the judge and saying they can do a better job... the kids have NOT been sued, nor has the judge handed a sentence down to the kids. All the judge has said, according to the posted article, is that the kids COULD be sued.

And like I said before, it's going to come down to where the kids were having this race. The parents supposedly gave consent to the happening of the race. Therefore, if these kids were racing their bicycles on a sidewalk and ran into the poor old lady from behind, the parents of these kids can, and SHOULD, be held responsible.

According to the law, a child over 4 years old COULD be held accountable for negligence.

And how did the judge fail epically?

I'll tell you how he failed. If a 4 year old can be held legally liable then the 4 year old is a legal person. Since he is a legal person he "and only He" is legally liable. Therfore you should not be allowed to sue the parents since the kid is a legal entity. Unless the kid has a half a million dollar trust fund, then there is nothing to collect. Making a civil judgment against the kid not worth the paper it was printed on.

Also the law has something like 15000 statutes. Its almost impossible for any lawyer, judge or researcher to know them all. Some of the statutes on the book were struck down as unconstitutional, but have yet to be changed. Hell I even saw that in the don't talk to police video.

That's what it will come down to.

The kids have NOT been sued, nor has the judge handed a sentence down to the kids. All the judge has said, according to the posted article, is that the kids COULD be sued.

And like I said before, it's going to come down to where the kids were having this race. The parents supposedly gave consent to the happening of the race.

It's a good thing they haven't been sued "yet". But lets be honest, when you buy a 4 year old kid a bike you don't think they can be going fast enough to kill someone. When your kid says I'm gonna race my friend, you don't say to them bike racing kills old ladies, you say do your best. I don't think those kids had murderous intent and for sure if they could take it back they would.

This was and unfourtunate accident but I wouldn't go and deprive these kids a good future, which crippling lawsuits often do.

I say a tough one because according to the law, over 4 years old can be held responsible. A judge must look at the law objectively.

Personally, I would wonder where the fuck the parents are.

Back