Road Test: 2011 M56 and BMW 550I comparison

kdryden99

0111m56.jpg

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/12/28/i...nfiniti-m56-vs-2011-bmw-550i-comparison-test/

Which would you take

M56 specs

•Engine: 5.6L V-8 DOHC with variable valve timing and four valves per cylinder
•Premium unleaded fuel
•Fuel economy: EPA (08):, 16 MPG city, 25 MPG highway, 19 MPG combined and 380 mi. range
•Gasoline direct fuel injection
•20.0-gallon fuel tank
•Power(SAE): 420 hp @ 6,000 rpm; 417 ft lb of torque @ 4,400 rpm

•ABS
•Brake assist system
•Ventilated four-wheel disc brakes
•Electronic brake distribution
•Electronic traction control (via ABS & engine management)
•Immobilizer
•Space-saver spare tire with steel rim
•Stability control
•Independent front wishbone suspension with stabilizer bar and coil springs, independent rear multi-link suspension with stabilizer bar and coil springs

•Body-color front and rear bumpers
•Driver and passenger power, heated ,body-color door mirrors, passenger power, heated ,body-color door mirrors
•Exterior dimensions: 194.7 in. overall length, 71.1 in. overall width, 59.1 in. overall height, 114.2 in. wheelbase, 62.0 in. front track, 61.8 in. rear track and 36.7 ft. curb-to-curb turning circle
•Electric foldable mirrors
•Front fog lights
•Bi-Xenon headlights with projector beam lenses
•Luxury trim: leather on shifter, wood/woodgrain on doors and wood/woodgrain on dashboard
•Pearl paint
•Rear window defroster
•Electric glass sunroof
•Intermittent windshield wipers

BMW 550I

•Turbocharged
•Engine: 4.4L V-8 DOHC with variable valve timing and four valves per cylinder
•Premium unleaded fuel
•Fuel economy: EPA (08):, 15 MPG city, 22 MPG highway, 17 MPG combined and 313 mi. range
•Gasoline direct fuel injection
•18.4-gallon fuel tank
•Power(SAE): 400 hp @ 5,500 rpm; 450 ft lb of torque @ 1,750 rpm
•ABS
•Brake assist system
•Cornering brake control
•Ventilated four-wheel disc brakes
•Electronic brake distribution
•Electronic traction control (via ABS & engine management)
•Immobilizer
•Stability control
•Independent front wishbone suspension with stabilizer bar and coil springs, independent rear multi-link suspension with stabilizer bar and coil springs
•Body-color front and rear bumpers
•Day time running lights
•Driver and passenger power, heated ,body-color door mirrors, passenger power, heated ,body-color door mirrors
•Exterior dimensions: 193.1 in. overall length, 73.2 in. overall width, 57.6 in. overall height, 116.9 in. wheelbase, 63.0 in. front track, 64.1 in. rear track and 39.2 ft. curb-to-curb turning circle
•Foldable mirrors
•Front fog lights
•Bi-Xenon headlights with projector beam lenses
•Luxury trim: alloy & leather on shifter, wood & leather on doors and wood/woodgrain on dashboard
•Metallic paint
•Rear window defroster
•Remote glass sunroof
•Curb weight: lbs
•Intermittent windshield wipers

Very interesting video

http://www.youtube.com/v/xkyuJNQdjvk

I think i would take the m56 because of the styling and also the horrible recent track record of electronics in the new bmw's today. Not to say infiniti/nissan are perfect but the m56 is just beautiful.

BMW over ''Nissan'' !

Euro > JAP !

I could say maybe ten years ago you were right but todaywith a lot of companies cutting corners I can't agree with that. Most of the electronics found in Euro cars today come from where?? Taiwan, China places where electronics are made at cheaper prices to cut down costs and sell cars at a cheaper price. It's no secret that in terms of reliability mercedes, bmw and audi have gone down a lot compared to there previous models but what has increased in number is the electronic gadgets that they put into these cars.

I think that when you buy a brand new BMW you have to realize that your not buying the same reliable BMW that they were selling 15-20 years your buying a computer on wheels with an engine and that if you dont know someone specialized in BMW that can fix your car your gonna have to have deep pockets to fix any electronic problems you might have.

The way they describe the car it doesn't even sound like the 550 would be fun to drive. An we know that n/a cars usually have better power distribution across the band so it would explain why the m56 is peppier and feels sportier. The 550i i think is probably geared towards and older generation looking for comfort and the m56 is a bit sportier thats why there's the m56s.

BMW over ''Nissan'' !

Euro > JAP !
I disagree!

Euro is not ">" than Japs when it come to every category of cars. I agree there are certain areas when Euro will dominate, but to make a general statement that "Euro > Japs" is very arguable.

Plus on top of that, your two wheels is a Jap!

C'est juste plate par exemple que BMW avec leur 550I, ont copier (bah meton il y a de l'inspiration pas mal) de l'arriere de la Hyundai Genesis Sedan.......Pourtant les allemands c'est supposé etre les kings et de pas copier les autres......selon certains..lol :scratch:

i take bmw for sure . at least electronics not gonna f#ck after few k km . Jap do lux cars same as Euro . But jap still to late cuz everytime something broke . Example : MAXIMA 2005 of my friend . she baughted this car new , after 20k speedometre dosent work no more .

Srry , but even name bmw sound much huge then infiniti .

i m not hater i just think like this .

After owning an Infiniti/Nissan product I swore to myself that NEVER ever will I buy again. Interior might look good, but finish and feel sucks ass. BMW wins hands down in that department. If you don't agree, go feel and touch them, the BMW feels 10 years ahead in materials. Even some high end couches don't use that kinda of leather.

Now, BMW is trying to set a different standard between the Series and making the 550i too sporty is not in their advantage. The only reason BMW did so, is to not kill the M5 which is soon coming. The 550i is a cruiser, made for the older folks who want a comfortable, luxurious BMW but that has power under the pedal. If you want a sporty 5 Series, you get the M5.

Infiniti have beautiful cars, but with crappy engines, shit plastic and shitty metal that easily rusts, a lot easier than any German made car. You can say wtvr you want, but Infiniti still has a couple of things to learn. The only advantage the Infiniti has is the overall pricing, which is a little cheaper than BMW in general.

^^

Did you get to drive the M56? It's light years ahead of the G35. The interior is pretty damn good, not Audi-level, but it's close to BMW imo
I drove the M37x, pretty interesting, I have yet to drive the new 5-series to give any "direct" comparison.

C'est juste plate par exemple que BMW avec leur 550I, ont copier (bah meton il y a de l'inspiration pas mal) de l'arriere de la Hyundai Genesis Sedan.......Pourtant les allemands c'est supposé etre les kings et de pas copier les autres......selon certains..lol :scratch:

Ben oui c'est ça... Si tu connaitrais un peu les allemands tu saurais qu'ils sent foutent pas mal de ce que fait la compétition.

La m56 n'est pas l'aide mais je choisirais la BMW bien avant une Nissan.

Back