Road Test: 2011 M56 and BMW 550I comparison

I'm not saying Infiniti interiors suck, because they don't. They look gorgeous and for the whole package that Inifiniti offers, it's definitely worth it, but I still don't agree to say that they are better than BMW, Mercedes (higher end, E-Class and up) or Lexus, in terms of fit, finish and material quality. We're not even talking about Audi...

Again, the competition is a little pricier, and with that in mind, the Infiniti is definitely the winner in the bang for the buck category. That's why I wanted to try one for my self, and unfortunately I have been deceived with their products and I'm not only talking about myself but people in my family as well. I'm not saying they are bad cars because they aren't but they do still have a couple of things to work on and they do catch impressive grounds with every new model.

You shouldn't base your judgment of interior quality of the new M on the 1st gen G35 like you had.

Infiniti has evolved a lot in that department because it's true, it wasn't amazing, among the worst of the luxury brands. Even the current G is leaps and bounds ahead of the old one in that aspect.

My problem with BMW is evolution. Since the late 80 it seems they have made baby steps only while everyone else has greatly evolved. The E30 had one of the best interiors in it's class and the design was more than modern. Now all Bmw interiors look retro because they still resemble the ones from that era. They look very simple and cold, very appliance-like. The fit & finish and materials quality is random. The leatherette (fake leather) that comes on the base 3-series feels cheap. A nice cloth would of been much better IMO. The dash plastics and buttons, some are soft and pleasant, some are the complete opposite. The dakota leather is awesome but it's 2500 option on all 3-series (not sure about the 5).

You shouldn't base your judgment of interior quality of the new M on the 1st gen G35 like you had.

Infiniti has evolved a lot in that department because it's true, it wasn't amazing, among the worst of the luxury brands. Even the current G is leaps and bounds ahead of the old one in that aspect.

My problem with BMW is evolution. Since the late 80 it seems they have made baby steps only while everyone else has greatly evolved. The E30 had one of the best interiors in it's class and the design was more than modern. Now all Bmw interiors look retro because they still resemble the ones from that era. They look very simple and cold, very appliance-like. The fit & finish and materials quality is random. The leatherette (fake leather) that comes on the base 3-series feels cheap. A nice cloth would of been much better IMO. The dash plastics and buttons, some are soft and pleasant, some are the complete opposite. The dakota leather is awesome but it's 2500 option on all 3-series (not sure about the 5).

Evolution. Not revolution.

Take the Porsche 911 for example. It was updated only 4 times since 1963! It never changed much, it just evolved.

BMW has a design language that's been used successfully for the past 50 years and will still be for decades to come.
Who will remember this M56 when its generation is over?

Evolution. Not revolution.

Take the Porsche 911 for example. It was updated only 4 times since 1963! It never changed much, it just evolved.

BMW has a design language that's been used successfully for the past 50 years and will still be for decades to come.
Who will remember this M56 when its generation is over?

The remembering thing is not based on the interiors. That is the subject we are discussing now. Bmw are remembered and have a cult around them for their driving dynamics and overall performance. And just like Porsche, Bmw doesn't concentrate much on the interiors because they sell based on other qualities and of course accumulated reputation for having those qualities throughout the years.

lol at people comparing interiors as if the only thing involved in 'quality' is the interior.

ftw my 21y/o 300zx has a very well built, solid interior and 21 years later it doesnt rattle, doesnt peal off and the shifting feels better than a e46 M3. so much for crappy jap interior. gimme a break.

and your gonna tell me this interior looks bad?

Back