PoliceState Quebec - just a reminder that You live in one

illuminance

Legacy Member
so if a cop smells a skunk your getting an armed swat team?

Botched police raid shocks Quebec man

Last Updated: Saturday, January 8, 2011 | 12:03 PM ET Comments305Recommend158.
CBC News

A Gatineau, Que., man is demanding an apology from police after his home was raided at gunpoint Thursday.

Oliver MacQuat said around 7:30 p.m. Thursday a team of armed police officers entered his rural home on Montée Paiement with guns drawn, on the assumption they were busting a marijuana grow-op

"I opened the door and they all had their guns drawn," MacQuat said.

"I was terrified, my heart was probably going 150 miles an hour."

Around 10 police officers swept through the house, MacQuat said, during which time his teenage son came home to flashing police lights.

"I was shaking, I was very worried. I did not know what happened to my dad, what was happening up here," Emilio MacQuat said.

Police found no drugs on the property.

MacQuat said police confused the smell of marijuana with the scent of a skunk that lives beneath the front of his home.

"A senior officer came in and said there is a skunk … everything is clean," MacQuat said.

"You could see they were all embarrassed and genuinely sorry. They all apologized"

MacQuat wants name cleared
Still MacQuat is asking for a formal apology from the Gatineau police and the Quebec provincial police.

Gatineau police refused to call the raid a mistake Friday, telling CBC News they had reasonable grounds to conduct a search.

MacQuat wants an assurance from police the raid won't appear on his record when he travels in the future.

"If I was to go to the states my name is going to pop up that I was involved in some kind of drug raid," MacQuat said.

"That's going to be great all the rest of my life. I want that gone"

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/sto...ce-raid-108.html#socialcomments#ixzz1AYFLJ7Vb

wtf!? did they even have a warrant? what kind of a sad ass judge would issue a warrant because a cop said he smelled weed? how does a cop smell weed from the road of a reportedly 'large rural property in the boonies with no neighbors'? did the cops just illegally trespass & search the exterior of the property?

:dunno:

Do Read the comments!

fais pas poussé de pot dans ton sous sol pis t'en aura pas de probleme

Avoir la police qui débarque chez vous et qui te pointe un gun dans face parce que t'as une mouffette en dessous de ton balcon, c'est pas un problème pour toi ça ? :dunno:

quoi ca te fait peur?

j'imagine assez bien le scénario que mon chien soit lousse dans la maison et que un de ses épais le prenne comme une menace et le tue

ca prends pas grand chose pour qu'un débile avec une arme et un ego démesuré fasse une erreur

Gatineau police defended their raid of a suspected grow op Thursday night, saying if they didn't have a good enough reason they wouldn't have been granted a warrant.

City and provincial police raided the rural Gatineau home of Oliver MacQuat expecting to find marijuana plants, but all they came up with was a skunk that lived on the property.

The father of two was met by Gatineau officers who declared they had a warrant to search his home and arrest him.

The raid lasted about a half hour and turned up nothing. MacQuat said the officers apologized.

On Monday, Gatineau Police spokeswoman Isabelle Poirier said the officers "had reason to to believe there was drugs at this place" but wouldn't say why.

"We cannot talk about the details," she said when asked if one of the other reasons for the raid was due to the perception that there wasn't much snow on the roof — sometimes an indication that a marijuana grow-op is inside.

She said it's "very rare" for officers to convince a judge to grant a search warrant and have it turn out this way.

"They had a lot of reasons to ask for the warrant," said Poirier. "Smell is one reason, but there were other things."

She said the MacQuat family home is no longer of interest to investigators.

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2011/01/10/16826211.html

Back