Battery - OEM or Better?

BoxsterBoy

Administrator
I guess it's time to change my battery.

Would you guys go BMW OEM or would you recommend something better? Good places?

En vérifiant avec BMW, la battery de remplacement qu'ils vendent n'est pas la même que celle d'origine...

Original from factory - 61216924021 (Varta)
Replacement - 61218381749 (FA Douglas)

Selon certains forums, la FA Douglas serait de la junk.... Mon originale est dedans depuis 7 ans.

Thanks.

Mets celui d'origine, je ne vois pas le but d'en mettre une autre. Celui que je mettrais à la place, si tu veux vraiment "upgrader" serait celui d'un mini cooper c'est la même qu'un CSL c'est juste plus petit et plus léger.

The OEM's are very good, fit perfectly and have the correct vent.

They are even having a sale at BMW for about $170 installed (e46).

Hard to go wrong

The OEM's are very good, fit perfectly and have the correct vent.

They are even having a sale at BMW for about $170 installed (e46).

Hard to go wrong

But like I mentionned, they are not Varta's although they look the same. Mine is still decently good after 7 years... Replacement OEM are from another manufacturer and are said, from US Forums, to not even last 2 years.

:(

I'm reading the Interstate MTP-91 is a very good and solid battery, much more than the OEM "replacement" from BMW. Any experience with this one?

Installation fees?!... Sheesh you guys, it's 3 never-seen-the-elements bolts... a grand total of 5 minutes of actual work :D

I'd go OEM for peace of mind, and maybe another 7 yrs? Cheaper batteries, you might have to replace more often, so they might not be cheaper after all.

Early morning post!

I have a feeling my 2 year old AC Delco battery is partially sulfated since it has a hard time keeping a charge, especially in the cold.
Maybe the Boomerang unit is to blame for drawing too much current.
Either way, I'm going OEM (white battery with lens) next time. I suggest you do the same.

After much reading on BMW Forums, I'm going with the Interstate. It's said by many dealers in the US to be so much stronger than the OEM replacement.

I got confirmation this morning that the BMW Replacement is a different battery than the one when you buy the car. My car came with a Varta (Made in Germany) and the OEM replacement number (same look, white batterie) is actually not made in Germany and the company who makes them is FA Douglas.

I am not looking for a cheap alternative as some of you thought, but for a better battery than replacement. It's different.

Get the Interstate and have VAG or AutoBar replace it for you if you don't want to do it. Mercedes OEM batteries suck ass, so it doesn't mean that if it's OEM it's any good. Look at BMWs HPFPs... LOL

Ironically my battery died yesterday...

I bought one from the dealer, as mentioned it is not the same as the one it was manufactured with but it fits perfectly and was not expensive. $30 more then an Interstate. The E39 battery is a monster, really big.

It fits perfectly and looks right. I will let you know how long it lasts but I have had no problems with dealer replacement batteries.

The battery that was in it was not a BMW battery and even though it was the same size the tie down clamp did not fit, now it does.

It was $200 with tax.

It's a phone call away...

I've seen you be so helpful to others on here in the past, so I figured I'd ask. I posted that message at 8:24PM, when I'm sure VAG was closed -- plus I didn't have their number as I've never dealt with VAG (autosport? motorsport?) before. So I figured I'd ask since you clearly knew (since you bought one?), unless the price you paid was a secret...?

Anyway, I'll Google VAG and give them a call. Thanks anyway.

i just bought my battery at canbac for 170$ plus tax (90ah 720cranks.big battery) which i find was great priced because you will find after market batteries at 150 plus.!!

I've seen you be so helpful to others on here in the past, so I figured I'd ask. I posted that message at 8:24PM, when I'm sure VAG was closed -- plus I didn't have their number as I've never dealt with VAG (autosport? motorsport?) before. So I figured I'd ask since you clearly knew (since you bought one?), unless the price you paid was a secret...?

Anyway, I'll Google VAG and give them a call. Thanks anyway.

You are right, I will not post prices from local shop, just in case.

I ended up getting a Bosch battery @ Vag.

Back