Quebec to extend photo radar project

Teknojnky

MONTREAL - Quebec is extending its photo-radar and red-light-camera pilot project while it mulls making the system permanent.

The 18-month pilot project was supposed to end on Friday but Transport Quebec on Wednesday announced that it will continue as a National Assembly committee studies a report it received in October on the project, which covers 15 locations in Montreal, and the Montérégie and Chaudière-Appalaches regions.

On roads covered by photo radar, the study found driving speeds dropped by an average 12 kilometres per hour during the first four months of the project; there were also 25 per cent fewer collisions. There was a 10 per cent drop in accidents at intersections covered by red-light cameras.

In its first seven months of operation, the system brought in $6.1 million in fines and fees. More than 50,000 tickets were issued.

An opinion poll conducted for the study concluded 83 per cent of Quebecers supported photo radar and 88 per cent backed red-light cameras, if installed in accident-prone areas and if drivers are given warning about the locations.

For locations of photo-radar and red-light-cameras, visit http://www.objectifsecurite.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.asp

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Quebec+extend+photo+radar+project/4296697/story.html#ixzz1EF2wOc2m

great ...
atleast the mobile ones and fixed ones are easy to spot ;)
there is only like 5 signs alerting you.
If you get a ticket through that section or cannot see the minivan with a 3 foot camera on the side of the van sticking out - you deserve the ticket

if there was never an indication, we'd all be screwed

I don't worry about my speeding. Its cost me enough over the years that I've slowed down. I'm not 20 years old anymore either. What pisses me off is the privacy thing.

Incroyable comment ca sauve des vie un photo radar au millieu de no-where sur l'autoroute 20
WOW, 83% des gens sont pour les photos radar... Beau sondage Quebecor chez les 75 ans et +

Quebec FAIL again

The 18-month pilot project was supposed to end on Friday ...

...the study found driving speeds dropped by an average 12 kilometres per hour during the first four months of the project; there were also 25 per cent fewer collisions. There was a 10 per cent drop in accidents at intersections covered by red-light cameras.

Ok and the rest of the time period? In at least one instance (the 15 south) things were slow through there because the overpass was down to 1 lane for endless repairs.. :\

There were also 25 per cent fewer collisions.

25% of the people just started to get aware of what's going on while they drive to make sure they notice advertising for the speed cams spots. That's just what happened.
Those idiots just didn't pay attention to anything while driving before that.
Therefore, they no more cause accidents.

on my way back from decarie to champlain bridge, theres a speeding camera.
Then i slowed down to 70 (max 70) then the guy behind me was sticking on my bumper, he even did the hands of "wtf man" , you know what i mean ....

^^ yes sir!

as long as it's bringing montreal money, why are they going to take the down?

Tremblay needs new hair plugs.

on my way back from decarie to champlain bridge, theres a speeding camera.
Then i slowed down to 70 (max 70) then the guy behind me was sticking on my bumper, he even did the hands of "wtf man" , you know what i mean ....

should have slowed down even more. then when he tries to pass you, you speed up. lol

sa surprend tu vraiment quelq'un lol ...cetais ecrit dans le ciel que cetais la pour resté et pour en avoir plus

Worst thing is if you look at the raw numbers from their last report before winter, there has been a 9% increase in accidents where photo radars have been installed.

They tell us the photo radars decreased the number of accidents by 20% since their installation in 2009. They compare the 2009 stats with stats from 2005 to 2007. Why not 2008 you ask? Because from 2007 to 2008 the accident rate decreased by 20% so they skipped 2008 to make their 2009 year look good and take credit for putting on the photo radar.

Don't believe me? Read the MTQ repport, it's written black on white.

Worst thing is if you look at the raw numbers from their last report before winter, there has been a 9% increase in accidents where photo radars have been installed.

They tell us the photo radars decreased the number of accidents by 20% since their installation in 2009. They compare the 2009 stats with stats from 2005 to 2007. Why not 2008 you ask? Because from 2007 to 2008 the accident rate decreased by 20% so they skipped 2008 to make their 2009 year look good and take credit for putting on the photo radar.

Don't believe me? Read the MTQ repport, it's written black on white.

Where can I check the mtq stats? I checked on their site, couldn't find it.

It's not a coincidence they dropped the limits to 30. I was at an SNC-lavalin conference and they plan on putting tracker boxes in cars to make sure that if you go over the limit you get a ticket. By they I mean the government.

Also, the statistics are bull, people are furious with the government. It's a question of time before the keg starts boiling. The states are about to boil over, Canada will follow.

Back