My 190E 2.3-16 vintage racer project

Found under the tree...

This will be a busy winter!

BFgpISOCUAEij4G.jpg

So, I've come to the end of my 2017 racing season. I was hoping to run one last race at Watkins Glen this weekend, but the transmission isn't ready.

Here's a short recap of the summer. I raced at Mosport (1000 miles round trip), Calabogie (950 miles), Pittsburgh (775 miles), and NJMP (just 255 miles). I mention the distances because I'm still driving the car to and from events ... kind of a PITA with full race suspension and no interior, sound deadening, or HVAC system!

Two of the events were vintage races: the VARAC Canadian Vintage Grand Prix and the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. The other two events were BMW CCA Club Races that I was allowed to enter and run for points with special permission.

Got tired of the black and orange. Decided to change up the color scheme...

Here’s how the 16v looks these days...

Did OK for myself as a relatively new racer...

Here's how the car looks loaded up for a race weekend. A lot easier to manage when living in NYC compared to a trailer and tow rig.

Driving to and from events has a major disadvantage I hadn't considered. On the way to the very first event of the season, a hillbilly literally backed his pickup truck up and over the front of my car! I was stopped for gas and the guy "didn't see me." We were able to pull the fender and hood up off the tire so the car could roll again. Damn, these W201's are tanks!

Installed some hood pins to keep the deformed front end from coming apart...

Remember those gorgeous (IMNSHO) BBS wheels? Well, I bent not one but two of them at NJMP. Went a little wide in Corner 1 and dropped both driver's side wheels off the track. The transition caught the inner lips badly. Hope they're fixable!

Thanks to my main sponsor, Guten Parts...

My favorite shot! Wheel lift in corner 1 at Mosport, well into 4th gear...

Plans for next year. I'm switching from Hankook DOT-R tires to true slicks: picked up a brand-new set of Hoosier radial slicks for testing. The Hoosier folks say I shouldn't need to change my alignment settings, but I suspect I'll need more spring rate to go with the slicks. We'll see.

Finally, I've created a new FB page for the "Hammerzeit" race team. I'll be posting lots of pics, videos, and updates there: https://www.facebook.com/Hammerzeit-642984859203237/

So, whats the "damage" for a full season of racing? (All prices in US dollars)

• Two bent wheels - probably beyond repair: About $500 loss
  • Expected rebuild cost for broken transmission: About $1500
  • A set of used stock wheels to replace the BBS: About $200
  • One set of 225/45/15 Hankook Z214s: About $1000 installed
  • One set of Raybestos ST43 pads: $380 for all 4 corners
  • One brake master cylinder: About $175
  • Fresh Schroth harnesses, window, and center net: About $600 with hardware
  • Maintenance (wheel bearings, trans/diff fluids, tech inspections, etc.): About $1000
  • Entry fees (4 race weekends): About $2400
  • Hotels (12 nights): About $2400
  • Fuel (maybe 16 tanks = 288 gallons): about $800
I'm not counting the bodywork (bent hood/fender plus paint), because that wasn't directly related to racing.

A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation for my racing expenses for the 2017 season comes out to about $11000, or around $2750 per race weekend! That's surprisingly high considering I'm a relatively novice racer, running a (slow!) car, at the back of the pack, in amateur club racing. I'm running cheap tires (Hankooks instead of Hoosiers) and using them at least twice as long as my competitors do. I didn't have any major incidents. Remember, I'm driving the racecar to events, which means no tow vehicle or trailer, and lower fuel cost. So, this is pretty much as low-budget as it gets.

realy nice to see someone realy dedicated to road racing as you are. I will follow you on facebook for sure

So, whats the "damage" for a full season of racing? (All prices in US dollars)

• Two bent wheels - probably beyond repair: About $500 loss
  • Expected rebuild cost for broken transmission: About $1500
  • A set of used stock wheels to replace the BBS: About $200
  • One set of 225/45/15 Hankook Z214s: About $1000 installed
  • One set of Raybestos ST43 pads: $380 for all 4 corners
  • One brake master cylinder: About $175
  • Fresh Schroth harnesses, window, and center net: About $600 with hardware
  • Maintenance (wheel bearings, trans/diff fluids, tech inspections, etc.): About $1000
  • Entry fees (4 race weekends): About $2400
  • Hotels (12 nights): About $2400
  • Fuel (maybe 16 tanks = 288 gallons): about $800
I'm not counting the bodywork (bent hood/fender plus paint), because that wasn't directly related to racing.

A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation for my racing expenses for the 2017 season comes out to about $11000, or around $2750 per race weekend! That's surprisingly high considering I'm a relatively novice racer, running a (slow!) car, at the back of the pack, in amateur club racing. I'm running cheap tires (Hankooks instead of Hoosiers) and using them at least twice as long as my competitors do. I didn't have any major incidents. Remember, I'm driving the racecar to events, which means no tow vehicle or trailer, and lower fuel cost. So, this is pretty much as low-budget as it gets.

do you get sponsored? that's a lot of money

Wow, love those cars! You are lucky to be able to do this with it!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Back